Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • What chocolate can I eat?
  • tjagain

zippy – what is your company?

bassman
    Free Member

Strange no one mentioned Aldi yet.(STW slipping)
    They do seem to have a choice seems ok to me better than Crapbury’s.

zippykona

We are a gift shop in deepest darkest surrey.
    A bit out of your manor I’m afraid!

GavinT
    Free Member

The Divine stuff is sold in Oxfam – you must have one of those in town?

sillysilly
    Free Member

If you are a dark choc fan try http://www.amedei.it/en/

You can pick it up on Amazon and at quite a few local deli’s. It will kill most suggestions here.

If you like milky fatty sugar and want to be ethical I actually think Divine is not that bad for what it is / beats Lindt and commonly available supermarket brands.

Lots of fake high end choc being paraded around where all you are paying for is nice packaging – especially at Waitrose.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you like milky fatty sugar and want to be ethical I actually think Divine is not that bad

Divine make 85% dark so I doubt it’s that milky fatty and sugary. You’re not a chocolate snob by any chance are you?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mrs loves the Lidl stuff, but she couldn’t give a monkeys about ethical-ness.

tjagain

some lidl stuff is OK – I’ll have to look into its ethics

RobHilton
    Free Member

Just be normal and eat Haribo :mrgreen:

CHB

Aldi and Lidl posh stuff is certified and good quality. Lindt is lovely too and the card sleeves are made from pine trees from Scandanavia and are very sustainably manufactured (low carbon footprint). They have to use non-recycled fibres as chocolate is very susceptible to taint (Google Robinson test), but the board manufacture is powered by renewable sources in the main, so provided you recycle the sleeves then be comforted that you are not destroying the planet, merely providing raw material for making Amazon corrugated boxes, newspapers and loo roll!!!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the standard dark chocolate at lidl about 33p is 50 per cent cocoa and is nice enough for me, grate it into half cooked pancake, ice cream and strawberries on top with glob of honey….yum!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Nom Nom welsh chocolate
    https://cowshed-cymru.myshopify.com/

Sandwich

Aldi milk is 30% cocoa solids and lovely stuff. The dark stuff is also good.

Alternatively buy the raw material from Rococo and make your own. EDIT They run courses to teach you.

onehundredthidiot

Avoid mackies it’s not nice.

sillysilly
    Free Member

@molgrips Na, I like all chocolate.

Just find milk doesn’t get better if you pay more than what is on offer with Divine (they seem to have the sugar / fat / sweet mix just right) but dark can. The Divine 85 is great for the price and beats anything costing more at the supermarkets that sell it. An Amedei 70% Porcelana is better again imo and great for a one off treat / habit 🙂

Good news is even the really cheap stuff still tastes good but I’m thinking the op wouldn’t be asking if he was happy with the usual.

CountZero

tjagain – Member
    the carboard sleeve is the over packaging

It’s bloody cardboard, made from trees grown to make paper and cardboard from, and recyclable!
    It’s not plastic, or plastic coated board, and it’s designed to keep the product fresh.
    Overpackaged is what you get from Amazon, one piddly little object stuck in a sodding great box with plastic padding – hardly a comparison, to my way of thinking, and what about the extra packaging that will go around any other choccy product if you get it online.
    🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Just find milk doesn’t get better if you pay more than what is on offer with Divine

Agree.. I’ve tried lots of fancy milk chocolate and I just don’t like it – milk chocolate to me is cheap, cheerful and Cadbury’s. Preferably wrapped around some honeycomb or nougat and biscuity bits.

A few squares of 70 or 85 is nice with a coffee. The tastiest dark I had was the stall in Cardiff at Christmas that sells loads of sundry items cast in chocolate (including spanners). Nice but I suspect quite sugary, maybe 60%.

I don’t like any flavoured chocolate except G&B’s Maya Gold which is just wonderful.

ninfan
    Free Member

+1 for Aldi

The moser Roth sour cherry & chilli chocolate mouse bars are to die for, and their 75% cocoa fair trade Dominican Republic suff is easily as good as Lindt IMO

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Aldi dark is good
    Lidl dark is good
    Willies cacao is fab
    Hotel chocolate is good
    Creightons is amazing.

Don’t do ladies chocolate but every now and then a star bar or reeses nutrageoeus hit the spot.

BenjiM

Montezumas is good, particularly the 100% Cocoa but for bargaintastic quality chocolate you can’t go far wrong from Sainsburys Belgian Cooking chocolate.
    Dark Milk White

globalti
    Free Member

Here’s a challenge for you: try to buy some Golden Tree chocolate, manufactured in Ghana and if you find a source in the UK please tell me. It’s formulated so as not to melt in for tropical weather so it has very low levels of fats and cocoa butter, meaning it’s unusually hard and dusty, which we find strange being used to our chocolate being filled with fats. However the cocoa flavour is just superb and it even has a slightly gritty texture, which I believe comes from the cocoa beans. Here:

Chocolates from Ghana

I’ve just finished a couple of boxes given to me by my Ghana agent and I’m desperate for some more, it really grows on you.

wallop

Lindt for the win! The dark chocolate with salt is divine.

Packaging schmackaging – it all goes in my recycling!

bob_summers

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘What chocolate can I eat?’ is closed to new replies.