Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What Cheese for
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Tartiflette?

Its Le Mans weekend so Taritflette has to be eaten.

According to the receipe I need Reblochon but cannot find it at the local supermarkets… anybody know the best substitute or do I need to use a couple of different cheeses to get the necessary texture an flavour?

yunki
    Free Member

snail cheese

2tyred

Closest I've got was a combination of mature cheddar (small bit) and equal parts camembert and port salut. There is no real substitute for the real thing though.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Food of the gods 🙂

Thanks 2tyred, I will give that a try

higgo
    Free Member
    Gee-Jay
    Free Member

The creme fresh in that recipe looks better for me than the double cream in the other.

I could be eating more than 1 tartifette this weekend 🙂

2tyred

No reblochon is one thing, but creme frikkin fraiche???!?!?

Next it'll be margarine instead of butter!

Disgraceful.

This is cheese and potatoes you're making, rather than Tartiflette my friend!

Anyway, isn't creme fraiche simply soured double cream?

organic355
    Free Member

what cheese for a tuna melt? My favorite sandwich.

Cheddar or mozzarella?

BenjiM

Gee Jay where do you live we may have a customer in your area? I'm a technical manager for a cheese wholesaler and dairy btw.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Excellent, Singletrack comes through 🙂

Fleet, Hants if there is anybody close. Waitrose sometimes has it but mainly not.

2tyred, you are probably right, if it doesnt feel like a heart attack on a plate then it probably isnt tartiflette.

BenjiM

The nearest is Teddington Cheese in Teddington about 40 minutes drive. They stock Reblochon probably about 15 quid for a whole cheese.

organic355
    Free Member

what does a

technical manager for a cheese wholesaler and dairy

do?

cheese@4p

I just sit there

cranberry
    Free Member

He seems to be like a dating agency for cheese.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Reblochon – eugh! Smells like old piss and probably tastes like it too. You see I haven't tried old piss.

I had this reblochon merde at Cafe Rouge a couple of weeks back and thought it was truly awful.

Just felt I had to mention this after reading that the OP is desperate to track some down.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

D_S there's your problem, Cafe Rough not Tartiflette… anyway tis best in France & when at Le Mans its great late at night to help mop up the beer (just before the cognac crepes) also perfect breakfast material.

Also good after skiing if thats your thing ….basically anytime when there is beer around 🙂

BenjiM, thanks for checking

atlaz
    Free Member

I had this reblochon merde at Cafe Rouge a couple of weeks back and thought it was truly awful.

Your problem was the assumption that anything you eat at Cafe Rouge resembles its cross-channel namesake. Some of their stuff is okay, some of it wouldn't be served in a French motorway cafe, let alone a brasserie or restaurant.

BenjiM

Mainly I just sit there. But otherwise food safety, hygiene audits, site visits to suppliers, product development. All sorts really. I also do with H&S too. I also grade cheese for quality etc before sending it out.

Reblochon and Raclette both smell horrendous when cooked. If you get a nice one like our Savoie then it's ok if you can get past the smell. If you're interested still get in touch with them before 4pm tonight as we'll be delivering to them tomorrow.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Benjim, I will not have chance to get to their area over the next couple of days & I need it for saturday so will pass this time but have noted for the future

DaRC_L

Well I'm restricted at home to Brie and Camembert due to wiffey and youngest son's tastes.
    I keep threatening Gruyere (which I think is pretty close to authentic as well)

aP
    Free Member

Where else do you deliver to in west London? (excluding Mortimer & Bennett as its probably the most patronising shop I've ever been into).

BenjiM

Unfortunately we only deliver to wholesalers in the capital, not any of the smaller fromageries sorry 🙁

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Waitrose deli counter had a Reblochon (savoir).

Here's the finished artice – inspired by 2Tyred, its not potatoes & cheese it is Tartiflette

BenjiM

Very good! Just takes a week to fumigate the kitchen!

higgo
    Free Member

Hope it was served with a (token) salad and a glass of chilled Chignin.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I believe that there was some salad nearby …we made a mistake not going to Le Mans so decided on a last minute meet up at a mates house. We did however have Wives in tow so we let them have salad while we stood around the bbq drinking too much Amstel (I know but it was in honour of a "French" event) … and scoffing burgers etc

john_drummer
    Free Member

Also good after skiing if thats your thing ….basically anytime when there is beer around

so what you're saying is, it only tastes good when you're pissed?

sounds like a doner kebab to me 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What Cheese for’ is closed to new replies.