Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • what cheap road brakes
  • petrieboy

Need some brakes and non sti leavers for my road SS build but all the shimano brake bodies seem to be specific to STI leavers. Need to do this on a budget, so what’s everyone using??

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Not sure what you mean by ‘specific to STI levers’?

Anyway, I have an old pair of Ultegra brakes, 6500 series if I remember rightly, which I’d be happy to sell on to you. I also have a pair of carbon fibre Salsa forks with mudguard eyelets if you need a fork…

Only caveat is that said items are in a box in wales which I won’t be returning to until the new year…

njee20
    Free Member

Can use whatever calipers you want.

kilo

njee20 – Member

Can use whatever calipers you want.

Awkward if you use campag calipers with shimano levers though because the cam for opening the caliper to allow an inflated tyre in is, with campag,on the lever, so with a shimano lever and campag caliper you won’t have that available.

petrieboy

These callipers
    Apparently

Attention! Only compatible with STI lever ST-4600/4603/5700/5703/6700/6703/6770/7900/7970 and brake lever BL-4600/R780/R770

Andy

These at On One seem pretty cheap

And those Rosebike Tiagras look a cracking deal!

Although I have some Tektros for sale if you need a longer reach

m0rk
    Free Member

I’ve got the Tektro ones on my SS – they’re comfy enough to sit on most of the day.

Not the same as the old bulbous STI’s, but comfy enough still

petrieboy

Ahh those tektro levers look more like my budget. So do we think they will work with modern shimano dual pivots? Or should I go with tektro calipers to be safe?

njee20
    Free Member

They did change the brake cable pull ratio on the newer STIs, hence the product numbers above, but I’ve heard (anecdotally) that its sufficiently small as to make no difference.

Andy

Ahh those tektro levers look more like my budget. So do we think they will work with modern shimano dual pivots? Or should I go with tektro calipers to be safe?

Both calipers should work fine. The Rose tiagras are a short drop. PM me if you want my longer drop tektros, which will be a bit cheaper.

onandon
    Free Member

I have a pair of new unused tekro r540 s in back and aero levers I was going to use them for an ss build but changed my mine.
    Just email you the details

unovolo
    Free Member

I have them Brake levers(tektro) working on the last generation Ultegra Calipers and they work just fine for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘what cheap road brakes’ is closed to new replies.