Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What cheap kit do you just love?
  • Kip

After a muddy ride up at Haldon yesterday I washed all my kit including the Gelert pack I use. It’s a blatant knockoff of a Berghaus Bladdered, cost about £15 maybe 8 or 9 years ago (if not more)and has been my go to pack for everything from quick blasts to all day Alp epics.

It seems to be just the right size and shape for everything, doesn’t weigh too much and to be honest, I will be gutted when (or if) it finally gives up the ghost.

The other one is the good old Giant XTC SX from 2006 that cost £500. I’ve upgraded the brakes, shock, saddle, post over the years so it’s still my go to bike for the stuff I don’t want to put the full suss through…and it never lets me down. I just can’t justify a new hardtail while I still have it, even though it weighs a ton, I just love it’s reliability!

So go on, what’s the cheap bit of kit you’d miss the most, that no-one else would probably use!

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Cool tool from way back in the late 80s

colournoise

Aldi windproof jacket. Really light and has served me all winter – really stops the wind (and most light rain) and not really needed anything more.

Aldi winter gloves – way more effective at keeping my Reynaud’s at bay than my Fox Antifreezes at about 1/3 of the price.

Various Chinese lights off of Amazon.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gustard_cannet
    Free Member

Aldi bib shorts, had them over a year and still going strong!

Felt a bit flush recently and ordered some Howies one’s, sent them straight back, back too high, grips too tight felt awful compared to the Aldi shorts.

Horses for courses i spose 😉

gobuchul
    Free Member

Shimano M520 SPD Pedals

A bargain at £16.49!

Strong, light and cheap. All relative of course.

tops5
    Free Member

+1 for Aldi gloves – brilliant

binners

Shimano Deore kit of any description. None of its pricey but it just works, and goes on, and on working

thorpedo

Ulvang merino socks – £8.09 for 8 pairs on eBay
    Karrimor wind proof gloves – £3.99 @ store.karrimor.com

Both excellent!

Mackem

My bog standard Shimano pedals. Cost about 25 quid, as a temporary measure, had them about 3 years now,

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-spd-pd-m530-pedals/aid:516034

in black, 22 quid at the moment.

gobuchul
    Free Member

M530 is just showing off! M520 is where it’s at!

steveoath
    Free Member

Got a multitool free from winstanley’s when i bought my last bike. That’s a must have in my commute pack.

LoCo
    Free Member

Aldi/lidl (not sure which) crane sport cycling gillet £5 6 years ago and still fine, better than the new Santini one I bought recently :-/

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Aldi/lidl (not sure which) crane sport cycling gillet

crane is aldi – imo lidl clothing is cheap crap, aldi on the other hand is exceptional for the money

Wally

Aldi gloves (x3 now) and an Aldi jacket with zip removable sleaves.
    Aldi bibs, I am sorrry to report, fit terribly, Decathlon XC6 EVA foam padded ones are were it’s at for value.

Northwind

My Crane cycling top’s my most worn riding kit, it’s wearing out now though 🙁 Quite a lot of my kit is Mountain Warehouse, mind boggles when you see reviews of a £50 thermal baselayer with a “cycling cut”, my £2.99 thermal base from TK Maxx is perfect apart from being white.

Oh and my carreras! 20 years of service out of a rigid Krakatoa, and my Kraken got me back into mountain biking. I don’t begrudge spending more on a fork than on that entire bike, but it’s good to remember these things… Might build the Kraken frame back up again, it made a great rigid.

samuri
    Free Member

Aldi gloves, warm jacket and waterproof jacket. All blinding bits of kit.

Fantombiker

yep, Shimano m525 brakes. Bought about 7 years ago in a deal from CRC. They are light, they work, they don’t squeal, easy to maintain. Awesome.

kayak23

Cheap-ish anyway…

kimbers

enve rims

oh no wait

$999/rim

houndlegs
    Free Member

Popped into Aldi yesterday and they are selling off the winter cycling jackets at £6.99.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve had my m520s for 6 years now and they’ve been on three bikes and done about 10,000 miles without any attention beyond spraying them with gt85 when they’re rusty.

I have two more sets in the garage that I hang onto just in case but at this rate they may well outlast my legs.

ton

alivio rear mech
    shimano triple chainset inc sq taper bb
    shimano cassette
    shimano chain
    alivio front mech

less than £70 for the lot. bargain

lunge

I see a theme here.

520 pedals, £20 and ultra reliable.
    Aldi winter gloves, outperform much more expensive kit every winter.
    Elite Custom bottle cages, hold bottles better than any other cage, weigh bugger all, look pro, what more do you need?

hot_fiat

Lidl’s Camelbak Hawg clone. £12! I could have bought 10 and it’d still’ve worked out cheaper than one original.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Alpkit gamma

willard

Not strictly cycling, but Karrimor did a blatant rip of an Inov-8 race pack that I got for 15 quid last year. It’s light, fits well and takes just about all the running kit I need for longer runs, so gets a thumbs up from me.

For cycling kit? I don’t really know. My Tesco windproof gloves were awesome up until one of my dogs ate one.

mogrim

Another vote for Deore brakes, great feel, reliable, cheap. What’s not to like?

My Decathlon winter jersey has been going for many years now, also great value.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Tenn Espresso riding shirts. Made from some coffee ground fibre which keeps smells at bay, and has a glasses/goggle wipe inside the hem. cheap as chips at £10 each when I bought them.

40mpg

Some Craft knee warmers I got for about £10 (new) on Ebay. Slight chill? just whack em on and still ride with my favourite shorts. Best buy eva.

scaled
    Free Member

my classifieds £15 rusty old inbred is getting some love 😀

Kip

Looking through I have to say I also have M520 pedals and Deore brakes from CRC. It would appear that all I have to do now is get Aldi kit small enough to fit me and I’m on to a winner!

Suggsey
    Free Member

MyOn One 456 frame and a gaggle of woollie bollie socks, wear a fresh pair every day and still not worn them out over 6 years on!

tomhoward

On one merino base layers when they are on offer (when aren’t they…)

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Lidl work gloves – £5.99 – better made and more comfy than my relatively expensive Altura gloves

Bazz

One of my cycling mates recently told me that he had just serviced his Shimano M520’s and offered to show me how, i pointed out to him that the oldest pair that i have are 7 years old, have done thousands of miles, don’t need servicing yet and for the price i didn’t think it was likely that i would ever service them.

oldboy
    Free Member

Aldi gloves +1, Edinburgh Bicycle Revolution multi-tool.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Bolle countour safety glasses for cycling. Cheap. Brilliant.

chrishc777
    Free Member

£5 ebay headtorch, for the shed and £2 bike scales, surprisingly accurate.
    and of course on one merino socks

timwillows
    Free Member

+1 on Bolle glasses, most of them are brilliant

jamiep
    Free Member

Get Bolle Contour a few days ago for the first time – very impressed, first glasses that don’t steam

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What cheap kit do you just love?’ is closed to new replies.