• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what cheap but good rigid forks (Cotic Soul content)?
  • brakes
    Free Member

I have a Cotic Soul frame hanging up in the shed, and it pains me to see it unused. I feel like knocking it into some kind of cheap urban SS machine (I refuse to use the word hybrid) and have no idea what rigid forks are available or appropriate. I assume I need something suspension corrected? Looking for something under £100, possibly carbon.

wwaswas

I put some Exotic Aluiminium forks on my wife’s bike. They seem fine.

No idea why but I thought they’d be more ‘urban proof’ than the Carbon ones (and they were cheaper!).

get some 445 ones.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=92&p=788&

Northwind

I’ve got a set of Exotic carbons that I used to put in my Soul. Don’t think they’d be that suitable for hefty riders as they’re pretty flexy, but they do seem strong- I haven’t managed to break them, anyway.

You can buy the exact same forks with White Bros stickers for about 3 times as much 😉

Oh… I went for the 29er ones, which were longer and slacked the bike off slightly, not sure everyone would agree but I liked it. Going in the Soda next

brakes
    Free Member

they look spot on. the fork selector page is perfect! aluminium would do, but not sure what steerer to go for – I imagine the flex comes from the legs rather than the steerer? ally steerer would be cheaper and would come out around £100.
    I normally run 115mm forks so should I go for 44.5 or 46.5? Probably 44.5 I think.

Don’t think they’d be that suitable for hefty riders

I’m about 80kg.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Salsa Cromotos. My default answer. Got some on my Curtis and they’re lovely.

Northwind

brakes – Member

I’m about 80kg.

I’m 60kg… TBH I reckon you’d be alright but it depends how you feel about flexy parts. I think the flex is a big part of why the forks are good, personally, it takes an edge off all the impacts. But some people like a really stiff fork.

jonjones262
    Free Member

You can get 20mm axle identiti rigid forks for £95 from winstanley’s

SprocketJockey
    Free Member
    fenboy

salsa cromotos!

MSP

I normally run 115mm forks so should I go for 44.5 or 46.5? Probably 44.5 I think.

Just look up the axel to crown for your forks, then decide, I think 445 would be equivalent to 80mm travel, but not all are made equal, Got to say I found 445 messed up my pipedream sirius, felt much better with 29er forks on.

brakes
    Free Member

ah, that’s a point. 20mm would be ideal as it would be compatible with other wheelsets I have, but I guess they do have QR converters (if I can find them).

Baldysquirt

445 is same as 100mmish forks sagged, IIRC.

Conversely to MSP, I had 420mm (80mm corrected) Salsa cromotos on my pipedream and they felt great.

ads678

I just ordered some Sals Cromoto 29er’s and paid £70. Was gonna go for the Exotics but the £40 saving made my mind up about carbon or steel!!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The Identitis are designed as a jump/park/street fork too. They’ll be about as comfortable as a set of On-One steels… 8)

kilo

I’ve got a set of Exotic carbons that I used to put in my Soul. Don’t think they’d be that suitable for hefty riders as they’re pretty flexy, but they do seem strong- I haven’t managed to break them, anyway.

I’ve got them on an inbred and am c80-90kgs they’ve been fine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘what cheap but good rigid forks (Cotic Soul content)?’ is closed to new replies.