Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What chainguide & bash for double ring.
  • 2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Sorry, boring question.
    I have an SLX triple and was thinking of loosing the big ring & going double up front with bash.
    I have an ISCG05 mount on the frame.
    I’ve been looking at the E-Thirteen DRS for £100ish.
    Any other thoughts.
    Cheers.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Once for the evening crowd?

R.lepecha
    mrbump
    Free Member

blackspire stinger.

Northwind

Stinger is good- simple and effective. Bit overbuilt- I had to cut away about half the backing plate to get it to fit my old frame and it’s still more than strong enough.

Gamuts dual ring thing is absolutely lovely to look at and weighs nothing but seems a little delicate.

But best option is to buy nothing til you know if you need it. Most people using doubles don’t have chain devices- after all you don’t use one with a triple.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

That’s great help, cheers guys.
    😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If you descend in the “middle” (now outer) ring, the bash and derailler help keep the chain in place. Esp. if your chain is shortened so the derailler is tensioned, you may find it never drops. Or at least only drops onto the inner ring and slips back onto the “Middle” ring when you pedal.

You lose nothing by trying it. But if you do drop the chain then buy the stinger.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Stingers are cheap and cheerful but bend easily if you batter them on things. The roller is also pants – stick an MRP one on. DRS is much hardier, but heavier and lots more £££. Not tried the Gamut.

As far as bashes go. Do you tend to knock teeth off/bend your big ring? If not, go for one of the light weight ones like the Blackspire Ring God Lite, the Raceface Light or a Gamut plastic jobby.

carlosg
    Free Member

Running a blackspire stinger with a C4 bash on my SX no problems in the 2 months it’s been on. 😀

jambon
    Free Member

If you ever find that your chain has bent links after a ride, then you need a chain device. The stinger is more that adequate and is only £22 from CRC.

superstar do this

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=336

but the reviews on their site don’t recommend it!

Some frames, like my Reign, have very low chain stays which can make fitting of a Chain device almost impossible.

mrbump
    Free Member

the rollers on the stinger will last well over a year if sprayed with GT85 after every ride and they are available as a seperate part for a few quid anyway.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run this as a bash

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/Mountainbike.html

and this as a chain catcher

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-mtb-chain-catcher/

light and works. Haven’t dropped a chain yet – nowhere for it to go!

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Cheers.
    I’ve been knocking teeth off the big ring that I rarely use anyway.
    Think I’ll go blackspire dewlie or e-13 DRS.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for just getting a bash and then seeing if you need a chain device after riding for a bit.

Works out cheaper that way too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What chainguide & bash for double ring.’ is closed to new replies.