Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What chain whip? (with a really long handle?)
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I need a new chain whip to get a seized Roholff sprocket off. Just watched the official vid and they have a monster. What is it?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqpgkyQ5tkI[/video]

Anyone make a whip with some decent leverage?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Dunno, but Park have a new one that’s like a pair of tongs.

hatter

The Park SR-2.2 is a monster, started using one in my shop days and wouldn’t go without it now, brute of a thing.

integerspin
    Free Member

I made one and made it on the end of a metre or so of 50×6 flat. It was great, you could let it rest on the ground when you used it. I cut it
    sort of spanner shaped next time I had the plasma out, it’s now no where near as good; I should make another longer one, I recon it needs to be around 18 inches. An alternative would be a fixed one on my bench leg.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I never managed to get sprockets off with a chain whip

Can thoroughly recommend one of these though
    http://pedros.com/products/tools/cassette-and-chain/vise-whip/

Wheel face down in a vice holding the Rohloff tool. Smack pedros tool with a mallet.

oldnpastit

I made one with some scrap aluminium bar i had lying around. Much better than the ones you buy which tend to be very flimsy. And cost nothing.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

+1 for the pedros…

expensive for what it is, but its not really loads of money, and its soon forgotten…

would buy again

antigee

this from decathlon is an alternative to a chainwhip – very positive review over on road-cc, not sure if will work with a rohloff – even after watching the embedded video i’m still a bit confused

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-whip-id_8309913.html

for me the issue is holding the wheel still not the power of the chain whip

bencooper
    Free Member

Definitely the Pedros thing – it clamps tightly on, then hit with BFH.

And make sure the Rohloff 4-pin tool is securely clamped on too – if you knacker that aluminium carrier it’s a big job to replace.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The Decathlon tool won’t fit a 16 or 17t rohloff cog. Good idea though. Like the look of the Pedros tool, will go and scour local shops to see what they’ve got.

And idea of clamping the Rohly tool in the bench vice makes sense.

tomaso
    Free Member

Take a standard chainwhip and slip a large diameter seatpost of say 400mm+ length and you should be part way to getting a very long handle. Alternatively buy a length of steel hand rail tube or such like.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Does no-one do the dance where you balance the wheel, put one foot on the cassette tool spanner with your hand on the chain whip, then carefully lift your other leg up and swap it with your hand place onto the chain whip and bounce up and down holding onto a nearby object?

JAG

I made one.

A chain-whip is just a length of chain attached to a long tubular handle – dead easy and you can make the handle as long as you like.

richardthird

Why would you need a long handled chain whip?

I use a cheap as chips one (probs from on On One toolkit), wheel horizontal on ground, kneel down, right foot rests lightly on tyre/rim, handle of whip is pushed into left side of shoe. Std 1/2″ ratchet handle does the business on the cassette or freewheel tool (extension on there if you like, but you won’t need it)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Why would you need a long handled chain whip?

Watch the video above – its for removing a Rohloff sprocket. Unlike a cassette where the whip holds it and the wrench loosens it, the chain-whip does the turning and my sprocket was seized on. Got it off using a bench vice and a new Halfords whip.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What chain whip? (with a really long handle?)’ is closed to new replies.