Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What chain tugs for a Cotic Simple
  • Jase
    Free Member

Come to the conclusion the hex bolts on the Simple are rubbish.

Should any chaintugs fit the Simple?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Yes I agree the bolts are er not very good but to quote Cy “the are adjustable stops not chain tensioners”

The Surly chain tug fits and works ok, but look fugly I do not bother with chain tugs I like the “simple” look

iamtheresurrection

I’ll send a pic of the fugly Surly Tugnuts later. I think they look fine, but they are SO HEAVY!

Fit absolutely fine by the way. Remember you only need one for the drive side…

saladdodger
    Free Member

seanoc
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with the Hex adjusters in two years.

I use Salsa QR’s, it may be that yours arn’t up to the job.

Jase
    Free Member

I’ve not even ridden the bike yet but attempting to turn the nuts is a nightmare and is starting to round off already.

Anyone sued the DMR tugs?

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I’ve used both the DMR and the Surly ones, The DMR ones are fine, you will have to carry a 10mm spanner to adjust IIRC. The Surly one is better IMO as you can use your fingers and it opens beer bottles too!* The Spot brand rocket one looks good too, but never had one of them.

* I like a drink, but I’ve only ever used mine once, and that was only just because 😀

Jase
    Free Member

Cool, used to carry a spanner to adjust the dropouts on my voodoo.

Thanks.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

You might need to file the flange a bit on These DMR ones as I think the Simple has cowled dropouts similar to a Surly frame. If it helps the Surly one should fit better, but I have a Soul, not much call for chaintugs on those 😉

seanoc
    Free Member

I’ve not even ridden the bike yet but attempting to turn the nuts is a nightmare and is starting to round off already

I tell a lie, the hex’s where pants. Get some M8 bolts instead (£3 from ebay), thats what I have and they are a heap better.

Anthony
    Free Member

Are you talking about the chain-tensioner bolts that are hard to turn?

If so you are releasing the hub first before trying to force it backwards?!

I usually pull the wheel back by hand and tighten the hub. I then simply screw the chain tension bolt lightly back into the hub to stop it from being pulled forward.

Jase
    Free Member

Yep, they aren’t even screwed in far enough to protrood through the frame to make contact with the axle!

MrSmith
    Free Member

shouldn’t a frame that expensive be free of drop-out chain-tug issues?
    and be ready to roll out of the box? (with a quick adjustment of the dropouts)

Anthony
    Free Member

Jase, it sounds like the threads have been clogged with paint. If you can run a thread tap through that would sort it out. A cheap one off Ebay would work fine for clearing paint. You could always Email Cy see if he will send you one to borrow, and a new unmangled bolt too.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I replaced the bolts on mine with decent quality stainless steel SHCS which work fairly well. I also use a socket-head skewer too to get it tighter. Mind you, don’t know if mine’s differenet cos I’m running a Rohloff hub.

seanoc
    Free Member

I accidentally bought half a KG of the bolts, pm me your address and I’ll wing you some.

Jase
    Free Member

seanoc – cheers but can’t find your email address.

Can you mail me on jaykeenor at sky dot com

Many thanks.

saladdodger
    Free Member

M8 bolts they are just alot too big I had to clean the threads on my simple dropouts with a M4 0.7 tap

Jase
    Free Member

Many thanks for the bolts seanoc, much better than what the frame came with.

Cheers.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What chain tugs for a Cotic Simple’ is closed to new replies.