Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What chain lube for winter commuting?
  • organic355
    Free Member

chain is getting a bit rusty/squeaky, whats the best lube for british winter commuting?

and how do you get the most out of your chain/drivetrain? i.e. how ofter do you clean, what with etc?

PMK2060

I just use finish line wet lube and wipe the chain clean with a cloth when I get home. Usually reapply weekly when I give the whole bike a quick clean.

mrphil
    Free Member
    nickc

Finish line wet is what I use, but TBH it probably matters less than we’d like to think.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

GT85 after every commute on the SS

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I used White Lightning Clean Ride all last year.

Its a wax based lube that gradually crumbles off taking the dirt with it. Rather than the black sticky mess you get commuting using wet lube on your chain, you just slap more Clean Ride on once each week.

Nothing stays super clean but it was most hassle free.

steveoath
    Free Member

Another finish line wet user.

Scapegoat

Another ceramic wax user. Wet lube is Satan’s jizzm.

nickc

you just slap more Clean Ride on once each week.

if you apply wet lube properly, you don’t have to reapply each week.

carlosg
    Free Member

Not for the commute because I use the car but for general wet use I’m on Motorex wet lube from the local go outdoors , seems pretty decent

geoffj

if you apply wet lube properly, you don’t have to reapply each week.

Depends how much and in what conditions you ride. It’s been so wet up here recently even wet lube has been washing off and needed to be reapplied a couple of times a week.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Finish line wet here for the winter, big ride in the weekend see’s a relube on the Sunday for the week.

trailster
    Free Member

Finish line and muc-off wet lubes are the best.

andybloomer
    Free Member

Big 5 litre bottle of cheap engine oil here

njee20
    Free Member

White Lightning Wet Ride.

Apply in September, then again as required. Clean transmission in April.

simondbarnes

I’m using Juice Lubes Viking Juice. Sticks to the chain well in all weathers but doesn’t pick up loads of crap.

kcr
    Free Member

I use a Scottoiler, which avoids the gunk build up you tend to get with conventional lubes when commuting through the winter.

jeb

I tried loads, the one stick to, is Chain L, amazing, lasting supergood in vet, and in dry it last many rides, i apply it, and vipe it off, and that leaves the chain, really clean, truely amazing oil.
    Just google their page, and find a dealer here in uk

woolymonster
    Free Member

+1 for the White Lightning Wet Ride

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I use motorbike chain lube for the winter lasts few weeks even when we had all the rain commuting each day.Less hassle.

chris_db
    Free Member

Muc-Off C3 – best lube I ever found.

coatesy
    Free Member

Another vote for motorbike lube, Castrol chain wax was good, but no longer available, now using their racing lube, lasts for ages on the commuter.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What chain lube for winter commuting?’ is closed to new replies.