Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What chain lube for a winter road bike?
  • lunge

Any consensus on what is best for this purpose? I’ve tried a few with Finish Line Wet getting closest though it is very sticky and makes the chain black. Squirt was the latest try and it not a success at all.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Going to try Scottoiler UBS here, sounds ideal. There was a thread about it yesterday.

jimmy

Slow cooker, tea lights.

TiRed

Used muc-off and Finish Line wet. There isn’t much in it. I also use nice dry lube on my race bike and put up with relubing it more often. The annoying part is swapping dirty sprockets and wheels onto the nice bike/clean chain.

mtbel
    Free Member

I just use anything cheap, clean all the shite off after every ride in winter and re-apply. CBA with a “winter” bike.
    a hose right at the door with hot water supply is ace for this.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A recent RCUK test “showed” that dry lube stayed “in” the chain better than wet lube in wet conditions.

Their next chain lube article said that wet lubes were better than dry in the winter 🙄

If the first (non-industry written) one was correct I’d strip the chain, dry lube it then wet lube after (I think that makes sense)

In reality I am using out of date sesame oil just now 😛

alex283
    Free Member

I use UBS, pretty good, especially since you can use it on the frame and such as well to keep the bike from corroding from the road salt.

scandal42
    Free Member

Wilkos £2.49, job done.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

I use TF2 spray after every ride, works for me.

sq225917
    Free Member

I vacillate between chain wax and Muc-off wet ceramic.

lunge

Right then, tried some Motorex wet lube as it was cheap in my LBS. So far, so good. It’s pretty sticky and has stayed put in the rain and cold so far but has also not accumulated too much black crap either.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Here is what I do>

clean the chain with GT85, wipe off excess
    apply finish line wet, ride, wipe off all excess on return.

Done this for years and always get a good lifespan out my drive-train.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What chain lube for a winter road bike?’ is closed to new replies.