Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • what chain lube?
  • whyme
    Free Member

What chain lube do you use?
    I am using purple extreme (dry lube) which seems ok in mud but does not seem to like watery grit too much. I don’t like the wet lubes, seem to attract too much dirt and shifting not as smooth. The chain gets re-lubed after each ride (after bike is hosed down).

carlphillips
    Free Member

scottoiler ultimate bike spray, been using it for a while now and my chain has been 100% gunk free since. it looks like new and takes seconds to apply. /thread

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Finish Line XC wet Lube.

qwerty
    Free Member

everyone
    Free Member

Chain-L. Bit of a faff but completely worth it.

Suggsey
    Free Member

In my opinion your chain lube is very specific to your riding location. Experience has lead me to going back to C3 Muc off as a default. Nothing else seems to resist the clay mud sticking or torrential wet Cannock Paste washing it off half way round an off piste ride.
    Having ridden at Woburn I would safely say you would get away with Squirt all year round!
    Chain -L was great but ultimately real hard effort to clean the chain between rides and the stench of it is hideous…..
    I wouldn’t leave the chain coated in multiple applications of oil either because you can bet that’s the time you either destroy your rear mech or snap tge chain and then end up with black hands, black gloves, black riding kit….. 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve been using UBS for the last 4 or 5 months and have had much the same experience as carlphilips.

Suggsey
    Free Member

In the real world being as that scotoiler stuff easily washes off according to the blurb on their website, how well does it actually hold up….trail centre use only or riding natural super muddy or long wet Welsh rides?

youngrob

+1 for UBS. Been using it for 18 months, keeps chain and cassette like new, also doesn’t have any effect if you accidentally spray some on your brake discs.

medoramas
    Free Member

I’ve tried many.
    Only to realize there is only one for me.
    Green Finish Line.

thered

Fenwicks Stealth, I quite like it for Cannock in these horrid conditions

deadkenny
    Free Member

Squirt.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That UBS stuff, where do you get it from? Only place I can find is scottoiler direct.

BillOddie

I’m quite happy with White Lightning Epic round my way (Leicestershire)

Chain stays clean, needs to be reapplied about every 4 hours.

Used to use Finishline Green but it makes a right mess of your chain!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Suggsey – I’m riding in the Highlands so soaking wet is an appropriate all year round description of conditions. My understanding is that it builds up inside the chain, which is where it matters. I just wash my bike with the hose, brush plus water on the drivetrain, reapply UBS onto links of chain with dropper bottle, wipe off sides of chain. Sometimes drop a bit into mechs and shifters. Folk I know spray it onto stanchions and droppers too. It’s quite popular amongst people I know up here.

Mrblobby, yes, direct from scottoiler.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i can’t quite believe I didn’t try UBS sooner!
    most xc rides around here are claggy mud and it holds up well.
    also have it on my dh bike chain and roadbike…excellent stuff.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ok, ordered some UBS to give it a try. Do you get the dropper and the spray in the same package? Sounds ideal for the winter road bike.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use the various rock n roll lubes, extreme, gold and absolute dry.

Northwind

My first ride with UBS didn’t go so well, I have a feeling it mostly washed off after a very wet descent. Will try it again though.

Still a fan of putoline chain wax, the sort you have to melt with fire. Really fantastic.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I just asked for an empty dropper and they sent one FOC. The price for the full dropper bottle is poor value vs the spray, so I just decant it from the spray bottle!

mduncombe
    Free Member

Have just started using UBS on four bikes, 2 MTB and 2 road. too early to tell yet but fingers crossed.

However I don’t like the supplied spray bottle as it goes everywhere, onto your braking surfaces and onto the patio so I have decanted some into a smaller pump spray bottle that used to contain some cosmetic from superdrug so that the spray is more contained and I don’t waste so much. I tried the dropper bottle but its a very expensive way to buy it and it does so much drop as gush out being water based, so just use my little pump spray now which has the benefit of being just as portable us the UBS dropper bottle.

I have used FS365 in the past for protecting bikes, in particular stanchions from road salt on long drives up to Scotland in the winter and my guess is UBS is a development of FS365 as it shares many of the same properties.

What was nice about FS365 and therefore I presume UBS is its safe to use around suspension linkages and seals. Its water based, so no penetrating solvents to wash your grease away.

So with UBS I spray the chain and cassette using my ex cosmetic pump spray, spray around suspension linkages, fork stanchions and SPDs, then finally spray a small amount onto a cloth and wipe the frame down.

devs
    Free Member

After using loads of others I’m using this just now. Chain stays clean and it lasted a 100km puffer training ride through ice snow and a sandy beach where it absolutely pissed down all day. Wet lubes fail quicker in those conditions IME. Hose, wipe and reapply every ride.

mduncombe
    Free Member

I think, given scottoilers background is that UBS works best when applied often. Their motorcycle chain lube system is based on a less tacky lube applied as you ride so it does not need to be super tacky.

if its less tacky it wont attract as much dirt and if its easy to wash off (hose it off with garden hose) getting rid of any dirt that does stick is easy. making the whole process of cleaning and lubing a chain far quicker making you more inclined to do it on a regular basis.

I have not used it for long enough to verify the above yet.

From their website

Application

After a long ride wash your bike with water and give it a quick spray with UBS. Just leave it on and your bike is ready for the next run. Pay particular attention to the chain set and chain. If you can’t access a bike wash, spray with UBS as it will protect your bike and make it easier to clean when you can. UBS is safe to use on all bike parts EXCEPT brake pads and discs. If you get UBS on the discs or pads don’t panic! It easily washes off with water.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Another UBS convert, still can’t believe it works but it does.
    I just spray with a rag held behind the chain, then use rag to give cranks and mechs a wipe, I can only assume the low viscosity means it actually penetrates between the rollers and as the chain stays cleaner you don’t need to degrease it so the lube has a chance to accumulate.

martinhutch

Fenwicks stealth at the moment. Attracts less shite than finish line wet, which was last winter’s regular. Could probably get two wet day rides out of one application if I wanted.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The UBS big bottle has a wide spray and, 180 degrees away, a narrow spray, if that helps?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Muc off wet lube or finish line green bottle. Lube and clean once a week.

mduncombe
    Free Member

The UBS big bottle has a wide spray and, 180 degrees away, a narrow spray, if that helps?

wasn’t so much the spray pattern as such but the volume that comes out when you pull the trigger, seemed very wasteful

deadkenny
    Free Member

Thick sticky wet lube will attract shite, period. It’s lubricant that is wet designed to cope with biblical flood conditions, not so much lubricant that should be used just because it’s wet outside due to a little rain or drizzle. If off road certainly would avoid using it in the mud as it just sucks in all the mud.

I’m a total convert to Squirt that I mentioned above. Wax based lube that a lot of my friends have been moving to having been recommended it and are generally amazed at how good it is. Degrease chain, apply, then ride and just wipe down the chain and occasionally reapply. Let it dry each time before riding. The key to it is the wax gets into and sets on the rollers inside where the lube actually counts and doesn’t coat the exterior with an oily residue that only serves to suck in crud.

My cassette and mech are cleaner than they’ve ever been and chain generally shiny after a wipe down even when the bike is caked in mud. Hose the bike down and the wax will remain inside, crud off the chain and no grinding mess that you have to degrease. Really am impressed with the stuff.

Oh and the bottle lasts for ages, doesn’t spray all over your components, just drips onto the chain and not much required. They do freebie samples from time to time, and that’ll last quite a while anyway.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yeah, it is – even with the dropper bottle lots drips to the floor if I don’t drip it on slowly. I reckon its just the viscosity (or lack of) of the solution.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have been trying Progold Extreme and it seems pretty good – been out in some bad mud with it.

chambord
    Free Member

Isn’t the UBS stuff pretty similar to Rock ‘n’ roll lubes then? That is quite thin, keeps the drive train clean and I wash with water and reapply after every ride.

Is it worth trying this other stuff? – can anyone who has used both comment?

JoeG
    Free Member

Squirt.

bonesetter
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    I have been trying Progold Extreme and it seems pretty good – been out in some bad mud with it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually cleans the chain during use – even the sloppiest of conditions

Got a few using it now and all have spotless chains

Tried em all (except UBS 😉 )

This is what my drive train looks like

mattrgee
    Free Member

That green Finish Line stuff will turn your chain into a junk magnet!

Been using Squirt here without any issues.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yeah, I used green Finish Line – terrible terrible terrible

bonesetter
    Free Member

The UBS ia a tenner a container then – how long does it last?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Mmmmm, think I’m going to give it a go…..nothing ventured nothing gained and all that!
    Great price too, so ordered two big bottles.
    🙂

singlespeedstu

Isn’t the UBS stuff pretty similar to Rock ‘n’ roll lubes then?

It does seem to work the same kind of way but with a water base instead of the flamable stuff in RnR.

Still trying it ATM but it’s a fair bit cheaper than RnR(which I’ve been using for a few years) so I’ll see what it’s like over the next few weeks. So far it seems OK though.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    That UBS stuff, where do you get it from? Only place I can find is scottoiler direct.

http://www.scottoiler.com/us/cyclesolutions/ubsdealers.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘what chain lube?’ is closed to new replies.