Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What chain for Shimano 11 speed?
  • y0eddy
    Free Member

Hey Guys, I’m about to go XT 11 speed, I know it’s still early days yet but I wonder what chain other Shimano 11 speeders are using?

I don’t like Shimano’s chain pin and would much prefer to use Powerlinks. Do Powerlinks work well on Shimano 11 speed chains? Or should I just use a SRAM chain?

MoreCashThanDash

18Bikes are including a SRAM 11 speed chain in their XT8000 package.

So that’s what I’ll be using!

gardron
    Free Member

I’ve got HG-900 shimanos on 3 bikes with XTR 11 speed, all of which use a KMC quicklink because I hate that stupid pin as well. Also got the same chain on a CX, again with quicklink. All work fine.

cnud
    Free Member

I had an Ultegra chain with powerlink but it drops off the 42 when you back pedal. Makes me twitch so put a Sram PC1170 on and all is well again

hammyuk
    Free Member

18Bikes – have a weird definition of “XT 11 speed package”

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I had an Ultegra chain with powerlink but it drops off the 42 when you back pedal. Makes me twitch so put a Sram PC1170 on and all is well again
    [/quote

what chainring?

markpallister
    Free Member

KMC silver SL for me

Jeffus
    Free Member

Xtr chain with a quick link smooth xt cassette, xt mech Rface NW xtr shifter….

cnud
    Free Member

Blackspire N/W Chainring. Had exactly the same thing 1×10. Tried various expanders, Oneup was the only one that didn’t drop when back-pedalling.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

whats the cheapest 11 speed link?

SRAM power lock?

cnud
    Free Member

That’s what I got £2.90 each

nosedive
    Free Member

I had problems with the kmc chain i had, see the ‘xt chainline issues’ thread. Now on sram 1130 which is much better, £15.99 from crc and comes with a powerlink

simonbowns
    Free Member

As above, we’ve had excellent experience with Sram 11 speed chains, mostly the 1170. I’m running that myself, but will be trying a Shimano chain out of curiosity.

HammyUK – the majority of enquiries (before and after launch) on XT 1×11 have been from folks moving from an existing 1×10 setup, with a narrow/wide ring already. The package we sell will set them up easily for 1×11, other folks can choose to add a chainring and/or chainset should they choose. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Shimano chain, KMC quicklink.

hammyuk
    Free Member

You don’t stock the XT M8000 chainset though.
    So for those wanting to move wholesale to 1×11 they need everything – which you don’t sell.

squoglybob
    Free Member

But surely they can get a chainset in if you want one? No?

My guess is they are stocking parts that they know they can shift, shifter, rear mech, cassette & chain. They could even supply you with a Shimano chain if you want to go wholesale, quite why any one would tho is beyond me as they are shite and always have been.

Most users would mix and match, XTR shifter, different front ring, RF cranks, Sram chain etc. A lock stock XT wholesale set up seems to me like something you would purchase on a fully built ready to ride bike and then change bits to suit as and when they wear out. Or at least that’s what I would do because as I’ve mentioned Shimano chains are not my preferred choice, I don’t like their cranks or chain rings either. I’m not that struck on the M8000 shifter either.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Exactly Squoglybob. V little demand for chainset, other than as part of a full build.

What don’t you like about the shifter? It feels sooooo nice in use.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Mix and match isn’t the point though.
    Surely an “11 speed XT Package” is just that – the whole package.
    They only have two cranksets on their site – neither of which are Shimano let alone XT.
    Personally – If I’m building something up- which I am right now – then it is going to match unless there is a bloody good reason for it not to. In this case the 1170 chain is the way forward but as for buying the “package” – nope. CRC, Evans, et al all seem to know what that means.

Nobby

Shimano chain, KMC quicklink.

This – never had an issue.

squoglybob
    Free Member

CRC and Evans sell to a particular type of rider, if you are putting an XT headset, BB, Hubs and brakes on a new build then I take my hat off to you, seriously I do.

As for the shifter, it feels a bit vague? Sometimes on the up shift it clicks whilst others it changes before it clicks, I like that you can move thro the whole range in two shifts from bottom to top as this does away with the bail out theory.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Did I say I was putting everything on?
    No.
    As a “package” I would expect it to include cranks/bb to go with the cassette, shifter, derailleur, etc.
    In this case the Meta 5 frame I picked up off here is going 1×11 for the better half. It doesn’t have BB/cranks/etc so its not going to get far without them buying 18Bikes “package now is it?
    Also – I don’t want to start messing buying a 2x/3x, stripping rings off, fitting a new 32t, spacers, etc when Shimano have so kindly made a rather nice XT M8000 crankset in 170mm that matches it all perfectly.
    I wonder how many of the “issues” guys on here are having is because of bodgery rather than using the kit its designed to be used with?

noahhowes
    Free Member

I have the backpedal ‘issues’ and am running a full XT M8000 drive chain on a new bike. I changed the chain from the supplied Ultegra to a SRAM PC1170 and noticed some improvement, it only drops down one gear when back pedalling now. As it wears in it seems to improve. The chain line is terrible, I’ve moved BB spacers and fiddled with B-tension to no avail. I need to find some spacers for those ‘male’ only chainring bolts.

Agreed about the vague shifter feeling, I’m not much of a fan of it either.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Oh sorry I thought you wanted wholesale, the job lot? It’s just that I thought you could get everything from 18 Bikes except the cranks, and I had visions of a XT equipped bike, rims an all otherwise why are you making such a cock stand about one retailer not meeting your specific requirements?

I’m not so sure about bodgery? You’ve bought a second hand frame FFS, get over yourself and buy some cranks and put them on the bike, it’s not difficult. Your clearly wanting everyone to know that 18 Bikes are shit because they won’t supply cranks for the Princess,

Next time buy a frame with cranks installed, that way you won’t have to explain to the boss why her bike doesn’t work.

You have answered the problem yourself just buy them from Evans.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Noah, I suspect yours is chain line, my 1170 chain doesn’t drop, it did ride over between down shifts before engaging with an old fashioned clunk. But as its worn in its stopped this.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Why don’t you wind your scrawny neck in and stop being a p**ck.
    I merely commented that their idea of a “package” is different to every other retailers. Nothing more. so go back and read it properly this time – maybe a ruler might help so you can do it really slowly so you don’t keep reading between the lines.
    I know exactly what I bought and why. The fact I value her safety means I won’t bodge stuff.
    But seriously – start making comments about my other half and it won’t end well.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Hammy,

We’re only a small shop, without the capacity/timing for keeping on top of too many products on the webshop, so we tend to stick to things we know will prove popular for our customers and that we’re able to keep on top of stock listings on the site.

We can, of course supply many parts that aren’t listed on the site. In the case of Shimano, assuming it’s in stock we would usually see delivery to us the following day – so not a long wait.

A quick email along the lines of “can you also supply a chainset/ring/bottom bracket” would have given this answer.

We’ve used the word “package” rather than “groupset” in order to avoid this confusion. All suggestions welcomed for an alternative word!

noahhowes
    Free Member

Noah, I suspect yours is chain line, my 1170 chain doesn’t drop, it did ride over between down shifts before engaging with an old fashioned clunk. But as its worn in its stopped this.

Yeah, it’s definitely chain line. It does seem a shame that brand new kit on a new bike doesn’t play nicely without aftermarket mods though eh. The SRAM chain helped a bit.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Thats fine Simon – perhaps Gearset rather than package. Groupset seems to be everything including brakes, discs, etc elsewhere hence the confusion over the description.

shortcut

Personally if I wanted to upgrade a bike to 11 speed I would want cassette, chain, mech, shifter. Ring or cranks I would like to be able to add on using what ever works best for my bike.

Also I take issue with Shimano using a strange ring standard.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Hammy, my neck isn’t scrawny. And my shoulders are big enough to accept criticism, if you are feeling like you need to put the mouse down at any time and confront me in person I can arrange that at your earliest convenience.

All this because some one else’s idea of a “Package” doesn’t fit into your idiotic bubble.

Well done buying a used Commencal, “For safety reasons” THE MOST WARRANTIED FRAME in the past 5 years.

I’ve found that making idle threats never ends well. And writing Cheques my arse can’t cash isn’t something I do so like I said, if you feel the need throw it about send me a PM.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Shortcut, that’s why I stopped using Shimano Cranks, even as recently as 2011 when I went 2X the cranks were a pain in the arse, I had to wait then till something suitable came out. At the time I had no choice but to buy them.

For me it’s all about fitting what I think is best for my type of riding, I use a lot of hope stuff because I like the way it works, and when it doesn’t it gets warrantied no quibble. That’s not gonna work for everyone but it works for me,

hammyuk
    Free Member

I don’t make idle threats and am happy to cash any cheques I choose to write.
    It wasn’t me who started with the insults however – say what you want to me – I wouldn’t be on a public forum if I wasn’t prepared to take flack.
    However insulting my other half was below even STW’s usual level hence my comment to you.

Tracey

We dropped our Chameleon into 18 Bikes for an upgrade to 11 speed from 9 speed, using their package and leaving the rest of any upgrade needed to them, before going on our Alps trip. They have done a first class job and initial ride on Cutgate last weekend was that it was spot on and worth every penny. Didn’t need new cranks or bottom bracket.

zelak999
    Free Member

What was the title of this thread again?

simondbarnes

A shiny silver one

singlespeedstu

Goes out to garage and removes Raceface crank and Oneup ring for safety reasons. 😉

squoglybob
    Free Member

I think it’s fine to put any old shit on a new bike, you can only put new shit on old bikes,

Packages consist of shit you don’t need, wholesale packages consist of shit no one knows even exist, and for reasons of safety no one mentions XT Cranks,

Thems the rules,

wrecker
    Free Member

WHAT? The package doesn’t include cranks????
    Oh. Sorry. 😉
    I’m skullf***ed about all these BB standards, Pressfit BBs (BB30, BB92 etc etc) 30mm axles, 24mm axles. I haven’t got a clue what’s going on. I wouldn’t know what to order anyway. And don’t even get me started on headsets!
    Oh and theCR package contains an ultegra chain.

nosedive
    Free Member

Strangest thread ever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What chain for Shimano 11 speed?’ is closed to new replies.