• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What chain?
  • fletch71
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a new chain. Currently running a Shimano Ultegra 6800-XT M8000 HG701 11sp Chain on a Xt m8000 medium cage mech and single ring up front.
    Was thinking of a bit of bling with a KMC X11SL Chain but I have seen some comments re it not working well with the xt mech. Has anyone got any experience of this or should I stick with what I have?
    Cheers

vincienup
    Free Member

I ran a SRAM 11sp chain on XT for a bit and it was fine. KMC are normally my default choice but for no good reason I’ve used SRAM chains on all my 11sp stuff.

crashrash

Been running SRAM 11 spd on XT for a while with no probs, Previous experience with KMC on 10 spd with XT and SRAM X9 and both fine. No idea why KMC would not work well on 11 spd set up.

sparkyrhino

Had No issue with kmc sl on 11speed xt mech/casette, and its gold!

Yak

Kmc every time, unless you have an absolute black chainring. Then sram or shimano only.

whitestone
    Free Member

Kmc every time, unless you have an absolute black chainring. Then sram or shimano only.

Eh? Not had any problems with AB chainrings and KMC chains.

windyg
    Free Member

I have used KMC SL on 11spd XT mech/cass with no problems also an EL and don’t noticed any difference over Shimano chains.

Yak

Ok, I will qualify that. I had an AB black series one. Cheaper end of the AB range. In muddy conditions the new chainring wouldn’t hold onto a new kmc 10sp chain. I contacted AB and they stated that kmc oversize their rollers so there’s less tolerance for mud build up. I switched to a shimano chain and all was fine. Now back on kmc with a superstar raptor and that’s fine too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What chain?’ is closed to new replies.