Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What carbon 29er race hardtail?
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

Looking for next seasons race bike. Not sure what carbon 29er options there are out there.

Seen the Niners, which might be a touch pricey. Would have a Planet X Dirty Harry, if it had two sets of bottle cages.

Suggestions? Would rather go frame only…

Ta

Rich

mafiafish
    Free Member

Whytes have pretty nice geometry, don’t know if you can get frame only though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That Intense thingumybob looks sweet..

Theres a bloke on here whose just built one up and posted pics..

Can’t miss it, the rims are blingo’ish.. Was posted/updated earlier this week or last week.

Other than than a Niner.. (sorry)

Gotama
    Free Member

Pivot Les

MSP
    njee20
    Free Member

Trek Superfly SL looks the mutts IMO.

jota180
    Free Member

Generic Chinese?

frogstomp

It’s probably worth noting that the XC racers out there at the moment seem to be split by their geometry – the Felt Nine, Orbea Alma 29 etc. are sticking with the traditional steeper angles / narrow bars / long stem whilst the Scott Scale 9, Trek Superfly 29 etc. go for slacker angles / wider bars / shorter stem.

I’ve got a Scott Scale 29er and think it’s brilliant!

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Go and try loads, when I swapped from 26 I tried a few and found the ones I tried fairly different! It’s also depend on fit, what you’re used to etc.

I eneded up with XTC Composite and love it but I found the Stumpjumper felt more planted and as a result may have been a bit faster but I didn’t find it as much fun. The Scott sat somewhere in the middle. All IMO. Would have really liked to try the Whyte but at the time they weren’t making large so I didn’t bother.

bowglie

IMO, for an excellent blend of weight and stiffness/strength with good ride/handling attributes, it’s hard to beat the Giant XTC29 Composite.

I have ridden the alu and composite versions and both are excellent, but the CF frame has that lovely thing of being stiffer putting power down, but absorbing trail chatter when stood on the pedals through rough ground.

I’m not sure what frame only options are currently available in the UK, but if you get stuck or are interested, I have a Med size frame that my wife is nagging me to sell.

tomhughes
    Free Member

Rich – how about a on-one carbon 29er race?
    I’m giving up on my 29er stuff so selling the frame if you are interested. Let me know – email in profile.
    It rides fantastically and is very very light.

LeeW

Oh go on then…

Forks are back with CRC after the threaded collet in the non drive side fork leg came out – it’s what the 15mm bolt through axle screws in to. Steerer has been cut shorter and I’m peeling the stickers off the rims as I type.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Cannondale Flash 29er.

grum
    Free Member
    Jeffus
    Free Member

Santa Cruz High Ball

will
    Free Member

Giant XTC 29er Composite. Or maybe a Canyon?

amt27
    Free Member

SC High Ball, purely on the basis of it having a BSA threaded BB

vdubber67
    Free Member

Wow thanks folks. The on one is not available in my size. Liking the look and spec of the highballs though…

c_klein87

I had planned to get a SC Highball etc, the high frame prices put me off but i hope to get one an eventually, I went from a steel Niner to a “chinese”29er, so far i’ve enjoyed it, they can be built very light, but they might not be as stiff as the top brand bikes, for 300quid they’re worth a go imo. I am very tempted by the Canyon frameset though

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^^ Thats that Intense Thingumybob up there ^^^

“likes”

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve got an XTC composite and like it, I’ve had a Scott scale 29er HMX (which is the best of the bunch IMO) and a Fisher Superfly (horrid)

The Scott was my fave as it was very light and the geo was spot on for me, great fun to ride. It was however a little flexy on the back end, but it was comfy.

The Giant is as stiff as a board and nowhere near as comfy but it’s a good race bike. it is however nearly 300g heavier than the Scott. It feels a bit more twitchy to me on the steering front but we have also switched to SIDs this year from Fox so that could be some of the issue too.

Fisher I hated, to steep angles, not that comfy, too heavy, generally uninspiring, too safe may be.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Giant xtc composite, I’ve got a 2013 composite0. Had to wait ages for it but well worth the wait. Handles like a dream, quick steering even with the very wide bars it came with. Mine weighs 25lb, a wheel change would save a pound or so but I don’t think you could make this super light without serious cash. If you’re a weight weenie the xtc advanced does offer a lighter frame. I am really pleased with the xtc though. Best thing I’ve bought in a long time

darkcyan
    Free Member

if you believe wmb then scott scale 29er is a good choice.

i myself think the whyte looks tdb.

dc

mattjg
    Free Member

The Intense Hard Eddie looks fantastic, based on looks it would be my choice. But I am sure I read somewhere (tho I can’t see it now) the warranty is only 2 years, doesn’t seem much on a £1600 quid frame, first gen product. Niner’s warranty is 5 years.

That would swing it to Niner between the 2 for me. But I am happy to be corrected.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Andypaul99 – My XTC composite 2012 weighs in at 20lb on the nose, it’s taken some serious work to get it that low, more could come off but the finances would have to take a major hit!

My frame weight is 1185g, the Scott was 950g

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What carbon 29er race hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.