Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What car & van?
  • andyl
    Free Member

So…while I wait for my refund on the Merc I am left back at square 1 with no car and my current car is falling apart.

Am now thinking I should go for a cheaper car and a van.

Van I am thinking Relay/Boxxer/Ducato or maybe a VW/Sprinter and getting a nice LWB or longer and going a camper conversion that can also still be useful for lugging farm stuff and house build stuff (doing a self build).

Car I am not sure. Maybe a lifestyle estate (C class, A4, octavia etc) or maybe a warmish hatch (eg A3 170 tdi or TFSI quattro).

Combined budget of around £11-12k not including the conversion costs.

Daily commute is 60-70 miles. I would like something sporty but the day to day car needs to be suitable for a dog, occasional work stuff, MTB inside (wheels off fine) etc etc. Did look at a TT’s as they are cheap but it seems a bit too “mid life crisis”.

piemonster

I’ll not suggest vehicles so much as we all have our own preferences.

What I will say is we went through this last year and ended with a SWB medium roof Transit and a 2 seater convertible and it’s been effing brilliant 🙂

Daily mileage is a lot lower than yours.

andyl
    Free Member

hmm, last night was looking at T5’s again but just so expensive for rubbish ones.

What age transit and come on, what convertible did you get? 😀

Also looked at Audi A3’s. MPG and performance doesnt seem great and lack of any things like LCD nav screen.

Out of curiosity I did look at the older E-class in V6 diesel form. MPG obviously not as good as the newer one and tax of £300 vs £150 but half the price. Would be at least £500 a year more to run but lower depreciation

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

For a van, take a look at the Hyundai I800. We did a road trip from Cumbria to North Wales [4 of us] + bikes + gear. No issues and very comfy. They have the 5 year warranty the cars have too.

Marin
    Free Member

LWB for sure.

BoardinBob

Daily commute is 60-70 miles. I would like something sporty but the day to day car needs to be suitable for a dog, occasional work stuff, MTB inside (wheels off fine) etc etc. .

5 Series Touring???

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705245778149?body-type=Estate&model=5%20SERIES&postcode=g432at&sort=price-desc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=5000&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=BMW&page=1

andyl
    Free Member

yeah 530d Tourer is on the list.

I did mean to look at the Hyundais. I keep seeing them as taxis. I really quite like the new peugeot van and the new toyota van – I think they have got the styling more modern and wile still not VW T5 they look decent enough but probably a bit too new still.

andyl
    Free Member

This thing:

and this thing:

edit: which I have now realised are the same van but with different badges!

piemonster

What age transit and come on, what convertible did you get?

2011 with 12/13k on the clock which was almost too low but it’s been faultless. I’m sure it start rusting soon being a transit. The way we use it SWB was absolutely the right choice. As was the roof height!

Car, 2013 MX5 2L with the folding hard top.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What car & van?’ is closed to new replies.