Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • what car should i get
  • milkyman
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting a new car budget 25-30,000
    want somthing less than 5 years old, somthing fast and seats in the back would be a bonus but not essential, I had a lotus and it was a pain getting in and out so dont want another, I did like tvr but they dont seem to make them any more any ideas
    thanks
    craig

tk46hal
    Free Member

Do you think that Jeremy Clarkson comes on here or something! 😕

milkyman
    Free Member

i hope so,

lazybike
    Free Member

m3……….

shortcut

Simple 911 Should be findable!

lazybike
    Free Member

Pistonheads is your friend….

milkyman
    Free Member

i was thinking 911

tk46hal
    Free Member

Go on then, a retro Porsche late 90’s early 2000’s 911 Turbo!
    And you won’t blow on depreciation!

TOO LATE! 😳

nickf
    Free Member

You really want a recommendation? VXR8 if you can bear the gearbox and interior, 997 4S if you can stand high miles, E55 the standout if you value anonymity and noise over handling. Not an E61 M5 – no torque, and a nasty box.

Or you could ignore all of these and go for the default M3 which is, after all, a fabulous choice.

mick_tvr
    Free Member

Top end of your budget maybe..911, 996 GT3, will hold its value too !

Mick

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Jensen interceptor, anything else is just a lack of imagination.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C249670

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Saw this popped on PH, bit over 5 years old but a Ferrari 456 for under £30k was £170k new.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2807380.htm

I am ignoring running costs as well 😆

EDIT or a Maserati GranSport

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3194854.htm

hock

I don’t know if you want a driver’s car and/or something fast, but if you liked your Lotus but want something that you get in and out of relatively easy and with seats in the back (sort of) you might want to look for a LOTUS EVORA!!! 8)

I know people who stuffed their kids incl. child seats in the back row and someone even got his road bike – with just the wheels taken out – in the back.

The handling is Lotus-like brilliant, the steering is telepathic and the ride is better than most sporty saloons (really). 3.5ltr V6 engine is torquey but not very revy. Sports exhaust definitely helps to give it some soul.
    Negative: detail finish in the interior, high-ish fuel consumption, notchy gear shift if rushed, reliability can be an issue (mainly electronic glitches), but you had a Lotus so you know what I mean. I guess.
    Avoid: cars without rear bench -> the parcel shelf provides less space than the seat bench, resale value higher in 2 plus 2 guise. Also avoid standard ratio gear box (very long, lower fuel consumption and noise on long haul as only benefit)

Starting from 32,XXX, sub 15k mileage in pistonheads’ classifieds. 80 cars in pistonheads, demand deemed to be not so very high -> you should be able to haggle towards your upper budget limit.

Runners up:
    – TVR Cerbera: yes, they don’t make them anymore, but you mentioned you like TVRs and this one has 2 plus 2 seats. It is/looks like a brute. Delirious interior styling, too. And it will be out of order most of the time. And if it’s not it might try to kill you.
    – Nissan GT-R: very surprised that nobody mentioned it yet (then again it’s a bike forum :roll:), very fast, very impressive, not that much above your budget
    – Porsche 911 (997): Bomb proof quality and performance (you can take a Porsche to a track day on Sunday without any need to pre-book a service on Monday, not so true with many other wannabe sporty cars), C4 4WD version has less front boot space than C2, avoid Automatic which is sluggish
    – 911 GT3: the very best! but 2 seats only and too track focused for most (then again you had a Lotus)
    – M3: Also nice, but I never liked the SMG drivetrain, so I would go for manual
    – C63 AMG: surprisingly good! this is the first AMG that actually cared about handling, the Auto box is not too annoying and it has a real hooligan character hidden in there, comes as estate, too
    – Mazda RX-8: odd one out but 2 plus 2 seats, good handling, quirky half suicide door solution ((relatively) good for loading the bike in the rear I guess), quirky rotary engine, below your budget (but you will need your savings for the fuel)

I liked the idea of the 996 Turbo: a little porky but has proper supercar pace despite stunning real world all-weather qualities (you can roll it matt-black and have really bad rat car).

Personally I would also consider an Impreza (boxer sound, all-wheel magic, rally pedigree suits MTB passion…?!), a Porsche 968 (proper hatch practicality, super balanced chassis, no depreciation) and the first E30 BMW E30 (devine driver-car-interaction, no depreciation).

I would not recommend E55s and VXR8s as they are just fast and powerful.
    But I would not consider a FS bike either. 😆

Enjoy!

pottsathome
    Free Member

i was looking for a 2 seater run about as well. just something for the weekend to run about in so i bought a transit connect

br
    Free Member

Fast saloon (E55, 535/540/550/M5, VXR8) would be my choice, or maybe a large coupe/barge 650i/CL500 – possibly a 911, but unsure on spec etc.

But I’d spend less, mainly as these cars depreciate like a stone, for life.

mrh86

Why waste so much money on a car?

PJM1974
    Free Member

If I had that amount of cash to spend on an entertaining, easy to fix four seater with a peerless image and German engineering then I’d spend about £8k on a minter Mk2 Golf 16v and about £3k on TSR fitted upgrades to the damping, engine and a Momo wheel.

I’d spend the rest on a Skoda Octavia to cart the bikes/family around, take the missus away for a fortnight somewhere posh and I’d have some left for booking track days.

But then I’m not really into supercars.

BTW, that new Alfa mid engined roadster looks ace…isn’t that going to be within your price range?

titusrider
    Free Member

PJM speaks sense (if you can wait a while and nearly double your price!)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-think-i-need-to-start-saving-now

coogan
    Free Member

911 every time if it was my money.

beej

I had the same question, with added “room to carry bike inside”.

Answer = RS4.

spudnick
    Free Member

M5 or AMG Merc estates. Huge grin factor and plenty of space

PJM1974
    Free Member

*coughs*

Surely you mean an RS2?

sambob
    Free Member

Could have a very nice van for 15-20k, super comfy and high tech inside with room for kids and bikes. Then put a V8 in it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mondeo

roblane65
    Free Member

RS4 RS4 RS4 or you might get one more bike in an RS6. 😀

Nipper99
    Free Member

hmm, shame your budget it so limited.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Has to be an M3 for that money

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, has to be a car I’ve never owned or driven either. Owned a Mondeo though and that was ok.

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for try an evora. It’s a lot more livable with than the smaller ones.

The guy at Lotus wasn’t very happy when I asked them if they would build me a carbon fibre bike rack 🙁

spikyjames
    Free Member
    Mintman
    Free Member

How about an AC Cobra replica “Fake Snake”? Dax do some awesome ones around 400bhp with looks and noise that’s just awesome.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cayman S

Merc SL500 – classy classic

Carlos45
    Free Member

]According to recent posts slating weekend warriors – It really depends on your bike and where you live.

Full Sus + London = Audi

Simple really….

PS that’s my winning combo anyway.

TheFlyingOx

Andy-R

Nipper99 – Member
    hmm, shame your budget it so limited.

😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Am I the only person who thinks this thread is a troll ??

“Why waste so much money on a car?”

and here you are where people waste thousands of £’s on push bikes….

Chris-S
    Free Member

Cayman S for fun

or

M3 for Practicaility

TheFlyingOx

Am I the only person who thinks this thread is a troll ??

“Why waste so much money on a car?”

and here you are where people waste thousands of £’s on push bikes….

Indeed. It’s only a short step from that attitude to full on communism.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bit over budget at £39,999. I reckon was of these has the spirit of a TVR, but what do I know, I’ve never driven one 🙂

loum
    Free Member

focus

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘what car should i get’ is closed to new replies.