Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • What Car :-) Octavia Estate v BMW 320d estate
  • Mikeypies
    Free Member

Hi Funky if there is no company car tax to pay and the lease covers insurance serviceing etc its a no brainer go for the BMW its great on fuel and you are getting a car one third more in value for only £30 a month. The only down side is that you will be spoilt 🙂

Just check to see what happens if you leave the employer mid lease

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

God I hate car dealerships and car salesman !

Was supposed to be test driving a 320d ED today, but turned up and the car had been sold between me ringing on Friday and today 😈 yeah right. Anyhow went out in a 318d. Initial thoughts.

You sit in the car, rather than on top of it like most modern cars, to some that doesn’t matter, but to me its important. Nicer weighted steering, comfortable ride. In many ways you would realise you are in a rwd car. However put it in to a corner fairly quick and it handles way better than the Skoda. Push through a corner and you do get that rwd kick, not as much as a decent sports car, but it is there.

I was very impressed with the level of equipment, some of it gimmicky (ie novelty will wear off) some of it really good. However the quality was better than the Skoda, and everything just oozed more quality.

The thing that struck me the most was that the Skoda feels ‘nice’ in every way, and is a very competent car. However the BMW just had that little some thing special about it. I reckon the Skoda would get me from A-B just fine, but in the BMW I would enjoy the drive, and look forward to driving A-B.

If your the type of person who only sees driving A-B as only getting from A-B then the Skoda is probably 90% of the BM, but if you enjoy driving, then quite frankly the Skoda comes across as dull.

The BM in cash price is nearly 1/3 more in price, and I don’t think its 1/3 better, but on the scenario Im looking at its a no brainer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry another question..

Has anyone specd (or driven) the M Sport Active Suspension?

When I drove the test car the ride was very nice, but there was quite a bit of body role in cornering (well compared to a decent sports car) I’m wondering if speccing the active suspension will solve this?

Also the reviews are mixed. Some magazines say it transforms the car, others say dont bother…

wrecker
    Free Member

My ED has a sport switch, which (I think) stiffens up the suspension. If you drove the 318, it may not have had this facility?
    I’m perfectly happy with the cornering in mine.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The sport button just sharpens the throttle and weights up the steering. Apparently the adaptive is sport +

wrecker
    Free Member

I really don’t notice body roll in mine, in fact the handling is one of its positives. It’s not a sports car, and will never behave like one. I think you may be expecting too much of a frugal estate?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I really can’t believe this thread has hit three pages.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

T-reg Octavia VRS. Interior mostly knackered, very much and car, stuff broken all over it inside and out. No major mechanicals though, my made has had it from new. Some problems with the AC I think.

That’s impressive, especially as Skoda didn’t make the Octavia vRS until 2001… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Octavia#Engines

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe it’s not VRs then, but it’s a 1.8T.

I could also have mis-remembered the reg.

howarthp

Yes, I have the M sport adaptive suspension on my 330d. Gives 4 different modes: economy; comfort; sport; sport+. Different response and suspension in each one

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Howarthp – …and does it drive differently in the sport + mode, as in sharpen it all up? No point speccing something if the difference is marginal.

I understand it can be difficult to tell as it is always actually working ie even if you are in comfort and turn in to a bend it operates, but i understand if u put it in sport + it firms the ride up to start with.

glenh
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

The BM in cash price is nearly 1/3 more in price, and I don’t think its 1/3 better, but on the scenario Im looking at its a no brainer.

Interesting. When I priced up an octavia vs 3 series on NHS lease the BMW was about 50% more.

howarthp

Yes, it makes a big difference. I’ve got the 8speed auto gearbox and the car gets much more alive in sport

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Glenh – which BM were you speccing though? The ED is a very tax efficient model so doesn’t cost as much as even a basic SE. Plus we looked at an Octavia with alot of extras.

Whether you are 20% or 40% tax payer makes a big difference too, as does any current benefit in kind

iainc

also depends on how the Lease Company works – ours uses ‘whole life costs’ . My 5 tourer costs me less a month all in than a decent Mondeo estate.

prawny

Yup, lease costs depend on the residual value of the car too, a similarly specced Mondeo won’t cost much less to lease than a 3 series despite being about £10k less to buy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Had my 320d Efficient Dynamics now for 2 weeks and its the best family car I have ever had.

Good bits – Its an amazing car, very quiet, quality feel, suspension & tyres soak up everything. Amazing mpg. Driving carefully Im getting 60 +mpg, driving fast never below mid 40’s, all on a brand new tight engine.

Bad bits – The steering has very little feel, the doors dont shut that easily (yes thats the only moan)

Its amazing what the have managed to do. ie a luxury benine car that doesnt feel like its rear wheel drive, does 60+ mpg. Yet when you want to does 0-60 in 8 seconds 140 mph, and is actually really good fun and competent through bends and certainly does feel like a rwd sports car. Some times I have to remind myself Im in a big estate car and not a nimble 2 seater. It only really comes alive though when you are doing silly fast speeds.

Its certainly the best family car Ive ever had, and way better than the Skoda, for only £30 a month more.

angeldust
    Free Member

benign?

peterfile
    Free Member

really comes alive

What size are your alloys?

😆

spacemonkey

Some times I have to remind myself Im in a big estate car and not a nimble 2 seater

You’re not in a big estate car. You’re in a small one 😉

Northwind

FunkyDunc – Member

Some times I have to remind myself Im in a big estate car

The only way you’ll ever be in a big estate car in a 320, is if you’ve accidentally driven into the boot of a Mondeo. Or, maybe the glovebox. It’d almost fit in the sunglasses holder.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

that doesnt feel like its rear wheel drive

I bet it does; this is a good thing.

iainc

having gone from a 3 estate to a 5 estate a year ago I have had to resist the ‘big estate’ comments. Cracking engine though and amazingly economic for its size. I get better mpg in 520d than i got in 318d, probably more from not booting it around as much though 😛

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok its not a big estate car, but its an analogy. Compared to an Elise or MX5 its big, but when being driven fast it doesn’t feel that way…. Happy now 🙂

Oh the other bad thing is the indicator’s they are weird and Imo encourage you not to use them!

And yes people don’t let you out in traffic as much and almost appear surprised when you let them out/are courteous to them.

takisawa2

I borrowed a 600 mile Octavia from work last week, & I’d happily buy one. Lovely car.

Hated the 320D BMW I had the day before. Awful ride quality. Just can’t see the attraction. 😕

I should say though…my own car is a 170k Mondeo. 🙂
    The Octavia was a lovely motor though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How old was the 320d, and how big were the alloys? If it had 17″ or bigger then yep could see why the ride would be harsh. People love big bling wheels but dont realise they make the ride awful. 16″ and lots of tyre = very comfortable ride.

Pre 2012 models also had firmer suspension.

renton
    Free Member

Any pics of it then??

sbob
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

How old was the 320d, and how big were the alloys? If it had 17″ or bigger then yep could see why the ride would be harsh. People love big bling wheels but dont realise they make the ride awful. 16″ and lots of tyre = very comfortable ride.

Runflats that BMW try and force on you also give a terrible ride.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Renton it’s black, why does it need pics ?

Sbob – this model doesn’t have run flats 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

I went to BMW to look at a 330d and a 520d on Saturday. Both nice.

However, there was a 2010 535i on the forecourt. I’m using every bit of will power I have to avoid taking it for a test drive. Maybe I’ll arrange one in the wet, that should be sufficiently terrifying 🙂

I rarely put the seats down on my C class estate, so think i’m going to plump for something with a bigger boot and just do away with the touring shape. But, that rules out the 3 series, but then again the 3 series looks better in touring shape anyway (imo).

renton
    Free Member

funkydunc…. just keen to see what it looked like tis all??

theblackmount
    Free Member

Just put 15000 miles on a 320D ED saloon in 4 months.

Pros:

The I drive satnav thing is superb. For business use I’d hate to go back to anything less.
    Incredibly comfortable mile muncher(in the front)
    Effortless performance (tho 5th and 6th are tall)
    Superb fuel economy
    Dealers treat you like royalty

Cons:

Rear leg room is sh1t
    Boot is sh1t as is access for oversized items (like a bike) with the seats flipped
    Ground clearance is poor

This is my 3rd 3 series (had both a 325D Touring and 330i Coupe in the past)and I’ve put big miles on all of them. Never broken down in fact I can’t recall anything going wrong with any of them.

Interested to hear you can flick a switch to revert to 180 bhp – is this true OP?

spacemonkey

How old was the 320d, and how big were the alloys? If it had 17″ or bigger then yep could see why the ride would be harsh.

My 320d M Sport had 18s and to be honest I had no issue with the ride quality. Sure it was firm but certainly not bone-shakingly so.

bensales
    Free Member

I think it’s a BMW thing. My brother’s 320d on 18s is horrible, my Dad’s 520 and 330 were both changed from 18 post-purchase to 16s on normal, rather than run-flat tyres. All jarring and uncomfortable. My Jag on 20ins is perfectly comfortable. Compliant, yet sporting. In fact it’s better than my old Mondeo which was on 18s.

AlasdairMc

But, that rules out the 3 series, but then again the 3 series looks better in touring shape anyway (imo).

Try the 3 series GT. Big boot (bigger than the touring) and longer wheelbase means loads of space in the back. In real terms, bike goes in with wheels off and saddle still fully up, with only two of the three seats down. This was on my first attempt so I’ll probably work out a slicker way to do it.

Drive-wise, it’s a bit softer than the saloon or touring, but it sits a bit higher. It’s still pretty rapid and very fun.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Decent runflats are a lot different to those that BMW first equipped their cars with. I have Bridgestone Potenza something or other runflats on my 3 series coupe (firmer suspension than the saloon or estate) and they’re fine comfort wise.

It’s also worth noting that swapping to non runflats can invalidate your warranty and seriously **** up stopping distances (one of the big magazines did a test on this I recall).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There you go Renton.

Interested to hear you can flick a switch to revert to 180 bhp – is this true OP?

No you cant. The engine is actually de tuned from the 180bhp so no magic button. You can take it out of eco pro mode which just sharpens up the throttle response. With a mere 168 bhp its still plenty quick enough.

The tall gearing has taken some getting used to compared to other diesels, but then not many diesels will run at just over 1000rpm and will do 80mph at just under 2000rpm 🙂

theblackmount
    Free Member

Thanks, I thought not…

Oh, that wheel style is sh1t too (with the inner steppped surface) Complete dirt trap…

Still, I can up with its foibles, it’s a great car.

johndoh
    Free Member

My new style A6 on 20s is a better ride than my old style one on 18s – by a long way . Surprising how much the new car can iron out the same roads I regularly drive.

renton
    Free Member

Thats a nice looking car that.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘What Car :-) Octavia Estate v BMW 320d estate’ is closed to new replies.