Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • What Car :-) Octavia Estate v BMW 320d estate
  • mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve just got hold of an old (’04) 320d touring and it is fantastic. Rear wheel drive is so much nicer.

I’m probably going to sell my much newer Golf and when the Beemer dies in a few years replace it with another 3 touring (prob 330d).

Sui
    Free Member

Can you stretch to the skoda superb, they are lovely with loads of toys as standard.. and massive

maxtorque

The interior space is significantly smaller in the 3er than the Octavia, but that is the price you pay for the better (imo) styling.

(I have a 3 tourer (but with a proper engine, not the left over sewing maching motors they seem to be sticking in them these days… 😉

Northwind

Pretty sure the 320 is one of the many cars that I walked up to, opened the boot, took one look inside, closed the boot and walked away. Even the Octavia’s boot’s unimpressive mind.

nickewen
    Free Member

Beemer everytime unless bootspace & rear legroom are VERY important to you. Not a lot of room in the back of them.

I really think BMW are ahead of the game in terms of efficiency. I have a 325i efficient dynamics (N53 engine) and regularly get 45 mpg on a run if driven sensibly (70-75 mph & accelerate down hills etc.) which is very impressive out of a 6 cyl petrol lump… So as mentioned above I would say 60 mpg easily achievable on a run out of a 320d.

As for not being able to tell if its RWD. I used to drive an older 320d saloon (05 163bhp model) and always liked the sensation of being ‘pushed’ rather than ‘pulled’ but not entirely sure if this was real or perceived! Find a wet roundabout and you’ll sharp know about it though. 🙂

freddyg
    Free Member

Eeven the Octavia’s boot’s unimpressive mind.

Really? Of all the cars I looked at of that size, it was the biggest by a mile!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We’ve just had a brand new Octavia tdi for 2 weeks holiday rental. On day 2 we loved it but a few days later it seemed more and more tinny and plastically. 44mpg rural ave was good though. The boot in ours was impressive.

It wouldnt be our first choice to buy (or rent tbh).

DeeW
    Free Member

I can get my mountain bike with 160mm forks and 750mm bars in the boot of my mk2 octavia estate without putting the rear seats down. Try that in a 3 series.

Daffy

DeeW – Member
    I can get my mountain bike with 160mm forks and 750mm bars in the boot of my mk2 octavia estate without putting the rear seats down. Try that in a 3 series.

I managed a 29er hardtail with 120mm forks in the back of a Z4 Coupe, so that’s hardly an achievement.

Northwind

freddyg – Member

Really? Of all the cars I looked at of that size, it was the biggest by a mile!

You could just about park an Octavia in the boot of my Focus. Also marks off for the lip on the boot

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

^ 2L oil burner focus estate returns 50mpg on my 10-mile-ish daily commute. Also gets 50mpg @ 75mph on long runs. Them numbers come from 4 years of owning it.

Failing to be gobsmacked by BMW efficiency, TBH.

freddyg
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

You could just about park an Octavia in the boot of my Focus. Also marks off for the lip on the boot

Interesting.

Especially as the Focus boot is 317 litres compared to the Octavia’s 590. That’s almost double. In fact, the focus boot is only 17 litres more than a Fiesta! 😀

Edit: These figures are for the hatchback only. The estate makes for similar reading.

Northwind

2 complete bikes with both wheels still on in the back of my focus estate + generous space for luggage. The Octavia boot (seats up) is good but the total space isn’t. And the Focus was the smaller car, too.

freddyg
    Free Member

Okay, so the Focus has tardis-like properties. Cool.

For clarity:

Focus Estate: 476 to 1502 litres
    Octavia Estate: 610 to 1740 litres.

Never let facts get in the way of a good argument, eh? 😉

Edit: And looking at the review on “Honest John” and “Car buyer”. The big complaint about the Focus is that the boot space on the cuttent model is reduced by 50 litres on the previous model. In fact, “Car Buyer” marks that as the only bad thing about it!

20thebear
    Free Member

320D every time. Great drive

Northwind

freddyg – Member

Never let facts get in the way of a good argument, eh?

Facts like owning and driving one? Everyone knows volume doesn’t give a clear picture of actual usability, 750 coke bottles have a 1500 litre capacity but you can’t fit many bikes in them, and a bike has a volume of only a few litres but needs a big boot to fit in.

Even the Focus has made backward steps with every model though, you’re right- it seems like the manufacturers have decided lugging capacity just isn’t that important in a midsized estate.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Northwind comes up with this shite about a Focus boot being much more useable than an Octavia every time theres any car thread despite its a load smaller. Not quite sure how that works.

Anyway, I particularly like this comment:

There is some realy duff info spouted above ref the Skoda

The old and new Octavias are quite different I know as I had a late saloon and have just got a new SE estate 1.6 oil burner.

Is there such thing as an Octavia saloon?

freddyg
    Free Member

I guess he’s referring to the non-estate, i.e. the hatchback. Minor point though.

I understand Northwind’s defence of the Focus as he owns one and has paid good money for it. For me though, statements like “You could just about park an Octavia in the boot of my Focus” are silly. Especially as the Focus boot is almost half the capacity. actually, mleh….

Mikeypies
    Free Member

good spot freddyg it is a hatch my mistake looks like a saloon though, still all the other fact are correct

Northwind

I don’t own a Focus, had one for a while. No great affection for it as it was a money pit, then died inconveniently, so no not just recommending what I own 😆 But it did have an epic boot that put bigger cars to shame and shows what mid-sized estates can do.

Haven’t owned an Octavia but have used a couple and seen how they match up so it’s an honest comparison. I remember I took my bike (both wheels on etc, ready to ride which is how it always travelled in the Focus) out of the back of my focus and rolled it over to a mate’s empty octavia estate, wouldn’t go in without a wheel off. Inconvenient truth.

But like I say, the mid-sized estate market just seems to be going in a direction that isn’t as good for bikes as it used to be. Not slagging the Octavia in particular, it’s better than many (*), but that doesn’t make it great. I ended up going up to a Mondeo to get the room I wanted which was disappointing.

(* though I hate estates with lips on the boot, just wrong)

freddyg – Member

For me though, statements like “You could just about park an Octavia in the boot of my Focus” are silly.

servo
    Free Member

I have just changed from an Octavia Mk 2 estate to a new Focus estate.

Focus estate boot is smaller but the Octavia wheel arches intrude internally which restricts the width, making it harder to put a bike in with both wheels on.

Focus has no wheel intrusion and a nice square boot without a lip.

prezet
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 bikes, 3 people and kit for a weekend in my Octavia. Loads of room. Build quality is up with other VW produced cars. Certainly uses the same parts found in Audi’s and VW’s. Id’ say the paintwork is a slightly lower quality than Audi/VW though. I get a fairly consistent 55mpg out of my 1.9TDi.

I’d definitely have another Skoda.

angeldust
    Free Member

Absolutely no comparison. As others have said, there is a reason a BMW costs much more than a Skoda.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

angeldust – Member
    Absolutely no comparison. As others have said, there is a reason a BMW costs much more than a Skoda.

Badge, marketing, preconception, perception, people willing to pay money for status?

AlasdairMc

If space is a consideration, could you stretch to a 320d Gran Turismo (fancy name for a hatchback)? It’s built on a long wheelbase 3 series, so is similar in size to a 5 saloon inside, with a boot bigger than the touring as well.

The litmus test for me is if I can comfortably sit behind myself, and there is a hell of a lot of legroom in the back.

prezet
    Free Member

Badge, marketing, preconception, perception, people willing to pay money for status?

Personally I’ve never understood the obsession with BMW’s – they all look a bit samey and boring.

timc
    Free Member

prezet – Member
    Personally I’ve never understood the obsession with BMW’s – they all look a bit samey.

That’s your opinion & that’s of course fair enough, but if there was ever a manufacturer to be guilty of that it would be VAG in my opinion.

timc
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

thats all true, but so are the comments about bmw being better with regards to refinement, driving experience etc.

glenh
    Free Member

Each to their own and all that, but I tried a 318d and a 1.4tsi octavia estates and saved myself some money by getting the octavia. Better kit and much more space in the octavia and I didn’t like the drive of the BMW – the engine was really agricultural in comparison.

timc
    Free Member

Probably because it was a diesel / petrol comparison.

maxtorque

DeeW – Member

I can do laps of any roundabout on the lockstops in my 3 series. Try that in an Octavia…..

Horses for courses i think it’s called 😉

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’ve just taken delivery of a 320d efficient dynamics today. I’ve only driven from the office to home in it but will report back later with my findings.
    Apparently good for real world 60mpg economy, but combined with low co2, and 0-60 in 8 seconds, it makes a compelling case for itself on paper.

prezet
    Free Member

This is practical.

I can do laps of any roundabout on the lockstops in my 3 series

This is what the kids who hangout at McD’s do trying to show off to their mates.

iainc

My last company car was a 318d tourer and it was great. Nice to drive, good cabin space, boot a bit small when loaded up with kids and holiday stuff. It was replaced in march with a 520d tourer which is better in every way. The gutsier engine is much better.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can do laps of any roundabout on the lockstops in my 3 series. Try that in an Octavia…..

Horses for courses i think it’s called
    Technically it’s probably called dangerous driving, but don’t worry they will give you some prizes points for that.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input so far.

I called in quickly at the showroom to have a quick gander last night, and to be honest the 3 series looks and feels in a different league to the Skoda.

Very impressed too with the standard kit that comes with the car.

Hopefully going back on Monday for a test drive. Of course I will be expecting it to drive with a bit more ‘sporty’ character than the Skoda and feel more refined. If it doesnt then the Skoda becomes more relevant again, but on first impressions there is no comparison.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

3 series looks and feels in a different league to the Skoda

It should as it costs nearly 1/3 more

The only thing you havent made clear is are you leasing the car or is it a company car ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been in 2 BMWs and 2 Skodas.

BMW 1: Pretty new 1 series, in the back, with the front seat all the way back. Cramped, we didn’t go far, but it was tight, interior was really well made and the suspension was firm but supple in the right ways

Skoda 1: New Octavia. Interior was ugly and plasticy although solid, otherwise nothing to note

BMW 2: M-reg 318 petrol. Old, but the interior was still well made, solid, tight and no rattles, engine was quiet.

Skoda 2: T-reg Octavia VRS. Interior mostly knackered, very much and car, stuff broken all over it inside and out. No major mechanicals though, my made has had it from new. Some problems with the AC I think.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its through an NHS lease scheme/salary sacrifice.

We have looked at private PCP v private lease v salary sacrifice. The BM comes out much more expensive via the first 2 options. Co lease includes servicin, tyres etc, insurance.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I have a 32D M Sport, 2 year old with 90K on clock and i took a Vrs Esate out few weeks ago. I really liked it, but the build quality was nowhere near, the interior road noise was high but still really liked it. I convinced myself it was the right car.

Got back in my 320 and within two minutes I convinced myself the beemer was a brilliant car, it felt more taught, it felt nice and secure and less plasticky.

A 1.4tsi Vs a very low Co2 output BMW would probably mean you’re out of pocket in the BIK stakes too…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘What Car :-) Octavia Estate v BMW 320d estate’ is closed to new replies.