Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • What car for £4k and what to look out for
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

Need to quickly replace my wheels due to their impending death getting a lot closer

Do a 20k p.a. mainly motorway, need to lug kids and bikes about so would prefer an estate

Mundeo is an obvious choice but at this price point I seem to be playing the DMF lottery

Help!!!

kormoran
    Free Member

What’s your annual mileage?

Coyote
    Free Member

Not sure but I’m guessing it could be…

Do a 20k p.a. mainly motorway

or there abouts.

kormoran
    Free Member

Don’t be ridiculous. Nobody reads posts properly

😳

nealglover
    Free Member

What’s your budget.

kormoran
    Free Member

Not sure but I’m guessing it could be…

What car for £4k and what to look out for

😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What’s your budget.

Maybe read the thread title…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Did any of you lot pass any exams at school? We were told to READ THE QUESTION, make sure you understand it, then answer it…..
    🙄

Cougar

Have you considered a Mondeo? DPF might be an issue though at that price point though.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

At £4k you are relying on lady luck ultimately. But to reduce the risk:

1) Only consider cars with a FSH. And inspect any invoices, etc if available.
    2) Check the MOT history.
    3) A high mileage car isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Lots of short, stop-start journeys are not good. Lots of motorway driving is good.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

LOL

Yep considering the Mondeo, if I dig deeper I can get the 1.6 diesel, other than being dull any reason not to?

kormoran
    Free Member

What’s the break even point for diesel/petrol these days? IRC it used to be about 20k

After 10 years in a diesel iv’e gone back to petrol and am quite enjoying it. I don’t feel quite so dirty either.

whatgoesup

Something Japanese and boring.

I have a hideously boring avensis estate that will carry a small village around if neccesary, has 150BHP so relatively sprightly when neccesary, does 55MPG and has not needed a single thing fixing apart from normal service/wear and tear items, is currently worth way less than 4K. Buy one of those.

When it dies / I move on my head says just buy a newer version of the same thing. My heart says differnt of course.

whatgoesup

PS – in direct answer to the OP – I’ll sell you my ’07 plate 110K mile Avensis estate for £4K. You’ll feel ripped off (quite rightly, it’s worth half that). In 4 years time you’ll be quids in as it will just work and work and work. Which is why I’m not selling it. 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just sold my 59 plate Mazda 6 sport estate. Great car and let it go for 3300. Worth every penny of that and never missed a single beat in the 4 1/2 years I had it after it’s original lease was up. Great drivers car, 180 brake and all the bells and whistles that you’ll pay at least 1.5k more for the duller German equivalent.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Had an avensis and it died on me, mystery problem that was a pita

Done Honda as well, killed that as well

Poshed up to an Outlander which is great except the engine is now goosed

Need cheap, boring, reliable, safe

wrightyson
    Free Member

See my post, but remove the boring from yours.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Not many about in decent range, 3 in fact

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP Japanese is the way to go, not sure why you had the problems with Toyota and Honda but they would be the obvious choices.

matt_outandabout

mystery problem that was a pita

Duff garage ?

matt_outandabout

Real reply – for that money I wouldn’t be too fixed on model, more looking at fsh, great condition and private, caring owner…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

1) Only consider cars with a FSH. And inspect any invoices, etc if available.

Means nothing.

martymac

Essel is correct, fsh means sfa.
    Always buy on condition.
    Id go japanese, and the simpler the better, less to go wrong that way.
    Subaru outback?
    I had a legacy estate, bulletproof car.
    Bit heavy on the juice for a standard 2.0 though.

whatgoesup

Note to self: don’t buy a car off old’n’daft.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Means nothing.

Means everything! Condition is cosmetic… I bought my Outback 2 years ago for £2.5k witth every panel dented , but it had ten years of the same original owner, and FSH and it drives like new. I replaced the exhaust , but other than that, nowt.
    The same purchase priorities have seen me right for nearly 40 years of trouble free motoring, mostly in cars that have been cosmetically challenged, and dare I say it, French.
    £4k would get you a good Subaru. Thirsty, yes, but If looked after you’ll spend nowt on repairs.

bails

The 1.8 diesel in the MK2 focus doesn’t have a dpf. I’m sure they used the same engine in the Mondeo of the same age.

whatgoesup

cheap, boring, reliable, safe

= Toyota or Honda

Occasionally the boring bit can be dropped (Supra, Celica, MR2 etc) even more rarely the safe bit too (S2000)but even then they’re reliable and cheap(ish)

Cougar

Essel is correct, fsh means sfa.

Sure, but a lack of one could well be cause for concern.

bails

Sure, but a lack of one could well be cause for concern.

Could be, could not be. Since I’ve owned my car it’s had the oil and filters changed more often than it ‘should’, but I’ve done it myself (along with other bits of work) so there’s no proper service history. I’ve got receipts for oil, filters, brake fluid, glow plugs, wheel bearings etc. It’s only the big jobs that I’ve had done at a proper garage.

Inbred456
    Free Member

BMW 320d upto 2007 with the 163Bhp engine no DPF! Any ford 1.8 tdci no DPF. Toyota Avensis pre 2010 2.0D4-D no Dpf. Honda Accord CDTi no DPF.

alanl6538
    Free Member

For sale: Mazda 6 sport (as above) 10-plate, 46k, 2.2l diesel 180bhp with all the extras, £5500.

Cracking car for someone doing 20k/year

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Alan, estate?

wrightyson
    Free Member

That’ll most likely be the facelift version on a 10 plate. Seems a touch high in price bit has got nice low mileage.

nickfrog
    Free Member

So maybe it’s priced well for the mileage and condition then.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Not many about in decent range, 3 in fact

How many do you want? surely you only need one.

Mazda 6 estate would also be my pick. Practical, not too boring, and rare enough to be overlooked by most people and therefore good VFM.

Jamie
    Free Member

Seems a touch high in price bit has got nice low mileage.

8)

wrightyson
    Free Member

2200 more than I sold mine for, 6 months younger and 45k less. That isn’t worth an extra 2200 in my book. Mine was priced and sold by a mate who sells quite a few more cars than the folk on here. But hey carry on, as you were.

nealglover
    Free Member

What’s your budget.

Maybe read the thread title…..

Did any of you lot pass any exams at school? We were told to READ THE QUESTION, make sure you understand it, then answer it…..
    🙄
    [/quote]

Maybe try reading the few posts directly above mine to spot why I sarcastically asked what the budget was.
    🙄

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Toyota 2.0 D4D, our local Toyota dealer had a part ex in off a taxi driver and had done 1000003 miles, yes 1 million on original engine and box.
    My wife has one on about 90k not even run in yet and nothing ever goes wrong.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Every other part had been replaced?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘What car for £4k and what to look out for’ is closed to new replies.