Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • What Car…? Focus Size, Petrol, Near New. Recomendations?
  • boblo
    Free Member

OK my Fing, bluddy, bstard, wifes Focus needs another clutch. It’s a 2.0L TDCI with 63k on it. It had a DMF and clutch at ~44k and the clutch is starting to slip again, 18 months (and out of warranty) later. 🙁

I’m effed off with it. I want a nice mid range family four/five seater for wifely duties. Petrol only, 1.8l – 2.0l (~120 – 140bhp), economical, reliable, reasonable quality (no wierd makes please) and nice to drive.

C’mon STW massive what should I buy (up to £20k if I really, really must spend that much, more like £15k by choice).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Golf or a derivative, ie Audi A3 Sportback or Seat

glenh
    Free Member

Golf 1.4 TSI. Tis good imo. It’s what I replaced my focus with.

Although that said, I’ve had 2 focus TDCIs and did about 200k miles over the 2 of them without even a hint of a clutch issue, so maybe someone needs to practice using a clutch 😮

the-muffin-man

what should I buy

How about sending your wife on course to show her how to change gear properly!! 😉

br
    Free Member

an auto

purser_mark
    Free Member

+1 Golf, Civic might be worth a look if can you live with the quirky?

This years Polo’s are also good and bigger than the outgoing model.

z1ppy

+1 to the Auto if “she’s” killed two clutches in 63K

retro83
    Free Member

a petrol mk2 facelift focus or a visit to match.com

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I know somebody (i won’t state if the male/female) who drives with their foot resting on the clutch to make it easier changing gear. Needless to say the clutch has worn out after < 40k miles.

boblo
    Free Member

Hmmm, to be fair…. It’s the first time any of our cars have needed clutches and I did 50% of the mileage since the last clutch so it’s not all down to Mrs Boblo.

Whilst all this was going on, I’ve taken my own motah from new to 50k without incident and I’ve had other cars from new to disposal (one at 140k) on oe clutches. I don’t think we are ‘clutch buggerers’ 🙂

I’ve had a few other problems with this diesel donkey and am waiting with baited breath for the turbo or injectors to go pop.

Ta ta Focus methinks.

Any votes for the Mini? If so which one. I’d thought about the various flavours of Golf, is the TSI a turbo as I want to go simple to try and minimise future aggro/cost.

boblo
    Free Member

@Monkeysfeat. Which A3? I have an Audi and it hasn’t missed a beat.

lunge

If it was my money (and it will be soon) I would be looking at Kia’s and Hyundai’s. Long warrenties and a seemingly good reputation.

ThePinkster

Suzi SX4?

mudshark
    Free Member

Skoda Roomster if you need space/reliability/quality/flexibility but not good looks….

molgrips
    Free Member

Civic petrol would be a good bet. Lots of people want the fantastic diesel, so the petrols could be cheaper. Honda have a good rep for reliability.

EDIT although some versions, maybe early ones had a problem with leaky boot windows I think..?

loum
    Free Member

focus

boblo
    Free Member

OK, in the lead, Nonda by a nose with the Golf/Audi shortly behind and the Mini as an outsider…. No Skoda’s/Hyundai’s/Suzi’s or Kia’s need apply 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Honda have never (apparently) had a VTEC mechanism failure.

I loved the honda I test drove and would have snapped it up, but they were pricier than I was comfortable with and the Passat was a bargain. A great drive, loved the interior and the fold-up back seat, and they were pretty well specced too.

titusrider
    Free Member
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

DON’T get a Mazda 3 2.0l 👿

ThePinkster

titusrider – Member
    another wildcard?

Surely the Brera would be a better (looking) choice. But there again if reliability is one of the criteria, perhaps not.

Don’t go anywhere near a Fiat Doblo either. Had an 18 month old one bought direct from Fiat and nothing but trouble with the air con that fiat wouldn’t fix under warranty and then the engine started playing no end, just after the warranty ended. Cost me over 2 grand and never got fixed, so I binned it as a trade in.

That was the 1.9 Multijet, in case you’re interested.

titusrider
    Free Member

tries not to get really angry that the first thing people say when you mention alfa is reliability……….

Fails ….

GGRRRRRRRR 🙁

Perfect

uwe-r
    Free Member

Nissan Qashqai?

ThePinkster

titusrider – Member
    tries not to get really angry that the first thing people say when you mention alfa is reliability……….

Fails ….

GGRRRRRRRR
    At least I (and friends) have ‘experienced’ it rather than just going on rumour.

hambl90
    Free Member

citroen ds4

skywalker
    Free Member

Golf or a derivative, ie Audi A3 Sportback or Seat

Yep

boblo
    Free Member

In my pursuit of reliability, I’ll not be seeking a French or Italian experience thankyou.

The mini Qashqai might qualify on the reliability front but mini softroaders… bit yummy mummy/school run for us… I’d seen the various Mazda horror stories on here so discounted them already. Anything from Toyota or other Jp manufacturers worth a look (that’s not too dull/spangly)? Owt from Be-em worth a look as I obviously couldn’t care less about being called names for my choice in motahs?

So still Nonda, VAG mid size derivative (probably VW or Audi) or Mini. Quickie on the Civic, is it right the new one is pants and the previous (star ship) one the dogs danglies?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Petrol Focus?

I like ours and it’s been reliable for 40,000 miles now, but when we bought it I decided I wouldn’t touch a diesel Ford with a 100ft barge pole…. Too many horror stories. So far it’s cost no more to run (Possibly a bit cheaper with the current fuel prices) than the diesel Vectra we had before it, too.
    At 3 years old with 16,000 on the clock we paid £5995, and there’s plenty of 2-3 year old cars around at they money + a bit these days….

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Used to own a 54 plate civic typeR and in the four years I had it it never missed a beat. Got a seat Leon now and although it’s ok I’ve had a couple of issues with it. It also doesn’t feel as well made as the Honda. Wished I’d got the new shape civic rather than the Leon.

Northwind

Focus tbh. 120,000 miles on my TDDI 1.8 and still original DMF and clutch. They’ll go sooner or later mind. Something just plain wrong with eating a clutch in 19000 miles… You’d be on the low end of the curve for lifespan even if this was the first time at 65k.

GJP
    Free Member

A3 Sportback for me.

I will admit they are not the best looking cars , but they are very practical in that Golf versus Focus size category etc. I have a 2.0 TFSI Quattto, but that may be too much power and with go-cart like handling for SWMBO. 5 and 1/2 years from new and not a single problem or snag.

Have driven the 2.0T and 1.8T and the latter was fine. Quick enough but clearly not as sprightly as the 2.0T, and even the newer 2.0 TDI 143bhp was OK and I fookin hate diesel engines.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would not discount Mazda. They have a good reputation, it’s just MF’s particular model of 323 that had a lot of problems I think.

geoffj

boblo
    Free Member

@Geoffj…did you say 85 ps? Blummin eck, plan well ahead for overtakes… 🙂

@Northwind That is exakery my probrem…

@PP We had a Mk1 1.6 petrol Focus from new for 5 years and it was FANTASTIC. Dint miss a beat in that time; servicing, tyres and fuel only. Just a bit gutless. On the strength of that, we bought the current diesel donkey.

Is the VAG TFSI a petrol turbo? I know nowt about VAG petrols. From a reliability/long term perspective, I’d assume normally aspirated to be the order of the day?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes it is boblo, the T stands for turbo. If you want low tech, that’s not it.

Markie
    Free Member

Golf.

GJP
    Free Member

Can you even by a VAG normally aspirated petrol engine these days? 1.2T, 1.4T, 1.8T, 2.0 T There is the V6 which is still normally aspirated, but have they not dropped the gutless 1.6?

br
    Free Member

Honda CRX?

Pembo
    Free Member

Golf Estate. Not bad looking, quality build of the Golf but a bit more practical.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Why not Skoda? Get past the badge and they are very good indeed. Skoda Superb (crap name) is actually superb and VW quality or better. Anyway, that’s too big for you so how about the Skoda yeti? Get a decent spec

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘What Car…? Focus Size, Petrol, Near New. Recomendations?’ is closed to new replies.