Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 226 total)
  • What car do you drive, and why?
  • NZCol

Imprexa WRX 2.5T Hatch
    Because:
    1) Ermmmm its blue
    2) Its fast
    3) It takes bikes + kayaks no problems
    4) I don't worry about the cost of fuel.

Alternative is a Legacy GT Wagon. Same reasons but its the wifes car. However both likely to be swapped for:
    911 c4s + Toyota Hiace Van + cheap hatch 😉

forge197
    Free Member

Focus because it's £35 tax and the handling is good, it has a tow bar for bikes and the boot takes the stuff we need to take. The second reason over the years done cars to death and owned some stunning cars and now just want it to get me to where I want to go with as little fuss as possible which it does.

Mrs F has a new shape Fiesta because it's £35 tax and the handling is good, it has a tow bar for bikes and the boot takes the stuff we need to take.

Hobster
    Free Member

Fiat Panda 100 as its good around country lanes and can carry a bike

Keva
    Free Member

1996 VW Golf 1.8GL

bought from an old school friend in 2002 for good price. Still has low mileage, Im the second owner from new and it came with full service history from the local VW dealership.

Good reliable car, I've only had to clean it once – on the outside.

Kev

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Pug 306 hdi

I've owned it 5 years, covered 70000 miles in that time, it has great mpg, it has a bomb proof engine and has never really needed anything apart from the usual tyres and annual service, reasonable handling for a diesel, great m'way car (sits quite happily at 80).

As I now work from home its main function is dog and bike carrier. Although I am considering selling/px it and buying a diesel estate (Passat, Mondeo, Octavia, 9-3, Accord?) as more space is required (for those weekends away with missus, bikes and dog).

DickBarton

Fiat Bravo Sport – got it as an ex-demo so was cheap…has a bit of poke about it (150bhp from the 1.4 petrol) and has a nice shape about it. Can carry 3 bikes on the roof (probably fit 4 if I had enough racks and time to set them up) or horse them stripped down in the boot and rear seat space. Comfy to drive, not bad fuel economy and the performance is fine – although after a 300bhp 4wd machine, I do sometimes miss the foot planting experience of that number of horses!

Does the job for carting myself and bike around but also seems to work well for the family – although given the choice, the wife will always decide we are taking the Ford SMax as it is just easier to get everything in!

I had the Bravo in for repair a few weeks back and they gave me a Pug 307 – good grief, wasn't until I was without the Bravo that I relaised how good it was for levels of trim and stuff…the Pug was incredibly uninspiring…got you from A to B but made you really wish you were already there 10 minutes ago…the Bravo is a far comfier drive, better trim level and finishing kit and seems much easier to use.

I bought it due to price and the fact I wasn't doing enough mileage to warrant a diesel…for the money I was going to spend this was the best 'performance' car I could get…and I'm pleased with it.

Ford SMax is also very good – oceans of space, loads of seat configurations and is an ideal family vehicle.

Saying that about the Bravo, I think I'll be trading it in next year for a new style Berlingo – I guess deep down, I'm a pracrtical guy so looks don't bother me…if something looks good then fine but I want the performance/practicality over the looks. The only thing that is causing me 'issues' is that my mate has a converted VW T5 and I'm really fancying something like that next!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Land Rover Discovery

It's slow
    It's old
    It fits loads and loads of bikes in it
    It's an uplift machine!

jahwomble
    Free Member

Diahatsu Fourtrak with a four inch lift kit

Big boot,and it's cheap,fun,slow,it has g force indicator(though god only knows why) and a lean over and take off/ramp over angle indicator and goes anywhere except motorways.

that's it really

shooterman

2004 BMW 320d se E46 97,000 on the clock. It has started to give expensive trouble (failed turbo). It's comfortable, powerful, gives good mpg. However, it is ridiculously expensive to maintain. £335 for the last service when nothing needed to be done.

I do a 100 mile commute each day and other work mileage. I had intended to drive it into the ground (hoping to get 150,000 – 200,000 out of the car). However, with a £1500 repair bill at the moment, I'm reconsidering my plans.

twinklydave

old (now knackered) citroen berlingo

because it fits loads of bikes and kit in and cost very little to buy 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Mk2 Vectra Diesel because:-

A)I've given up.

GEDA
    Free Member

I don't have a car. Made a choice to live close to work and the shops etc. Woo hoo save loads of money to spend on bikes…. well to tell you the truth children and the wife.

gozarch
    Free Member

Bright yellow Fiat 500 Sport. 8) Why? Because it looks great, is mighty quick, and fairly economical. Downside – absolutely NO use for transporting bikes – there's barely enough room for the dog! So, hoping to add a VW Kombi at some point soon.

epicsteve
    Free Member

What: Honda Jazz 1.2
    Why: My daughter turned 17 at the end of last year so I needed something she could easily be insured for, as the Accord I had at the time would have been too expensive. It's a great little car though – lots of space, comfortable, reliable and ok to drive. We have another Jazz as well, but it's an automatic so no use for my daughter to learn to drive.

stumpy01

Seat Ibiza 1.9TDi Sport.

Because:
    – needed diesel for 100 mile/day commute (now 120 miles)
    – wanted something quick & economical
    – cheaper than Fabia VRS, but is the same car & doesn't have white seat inserts.
    – comes with plenty of standard kit
    – didn't want a bigger car

Bought it with 24k miles on 3yrs ago. Now has 102k miles on – only problem so far was a boost pipe connection failing. £45 to repair.
    I get between 55 & 58mpg from it, servicing costs between £80 and £120.
    And it's plenty quick enough to surprise rep-mobile tail-gaters.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Car – VW Golf 5 TDI

Why – Company Car, my choice though. Great car, never any problems, solid build quality, comfy, roomy, loads of extras etc. Could have got a 1 series BMW but would have felt like a ****t tbh.

Really wanted an Alpha 159 but it was over budget.

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

Corrado VR6

Because I do bike most places I can afford to have a rediculous 3.0L V6 engined small coupe.

Plus it is incredibly good looking and sounds like a bear with its nads caught in a door….

Jamie
    Free Member

Car: Honda CRB600

Why?: I have not passed my driving test.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Could have got a 1 series BMW but would have felt like a ****t tbh.

BMW 120d SE with pretty much all the toys, company car. Had a certain budget, had to be diesel, had no need for space so went for the fastest, best specced car I could get. Oh, and most importantly of all its rear wheel drive, like all proper cars…I must confess to liking the look of the 1 series, particularly the 2 door hatch.

simonk
    Free Member

Rover 216 r reg, as it was cheap and all i could find at short notice a few years ago, engine is reliable and sound, looks tatty as hell but it holds 2 bikes and all the gear for a weekends riding away 😀

epicsteve
    Free Member

Car: Honda CRB600

Now if we're talking bikes:

What: Honda CBR600F
    Why: For trackdays and fun, although it's also quite comfortable for long distance trips. Very poor fuel consumption though.

What: Honda CBF1000GT
    Why: For general purpose touring, commuting and 2-up use.

What: Honda XBR500SJ
    Why: Always wanted one and it doubles as a bike for my wife.

What: Gas Gas Pampera 250
    Why: Bought for trail riding and the occasional enduro or trail bike rally. Not been used much recently though – mountain bike instead.

feenster
    Free Member

53 plate vauxhall astra 1.7 deisel hatch eco model.

Why? Cheap to run for a a medium sized car.

– Great Fuel economy (50 – 60mpg)
    – low emissions = low tax band = £35 per year

Mister-P
    Free Member

2005 Passat 1.9TDI 130 Highline estate as I am a middle aged man with responsibilities and no imagination.

hora
    Free Member

Subaru Forester.

I was sat in a cafe yesterday looking at a Multipla outside studying it thinking how gopping it looks and it started appealing to me. FFS.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Dusty Lilac, I could only get the 118D with no alloys and zero kit.
    Oh and it must be 4 door.

On he Golf I have Alloys, heated seats, dual zone climate control, fog lamps blah blah blah.

Oh and I took an Autmatic (again) if that makes you feel any better 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Mondeo 2.0 Zetec.

Because it does everything I need it to, does it really well and is very nice to drive.

Audi Allroad (old shape) – cos we wanted a family car with 7 seats but didn't want a people carrier.

Honda Civic Type R (new shape) – cos I like hot hatchbacks and I can fit 3 bikes plus kit in the back when the back seats are folded.

hora
    Free Member

chakaping, I bet in towns/cities you have to auto-lock your car incase anyone tries getting in for a 'fare'? 8)

cove123

Mondeo est 2.0 Ghix x should have held out and got a diesel but was in a rush, road tax £215!!, 27mpg on stop/start short work trips better on long trips 35mpg+ should have come with a 6th gear when on motorway etc feels like it's in pain!! wanted it to get 3 baby/child seats across the back and bike in the boot failed to find 3 kids seats that would do that…. so one always in front andwife squeezed in middle.

on plus side loads of kit, space for bikes even came with TV mounted head rests and video system, shame we use the Galexy TDI for long trips

Want my old XR2 back….

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Mk V Golf R32 with a serious stereo in it.

1) It's pretty quick
    2) Handling is great
    3) 4WD so perfect for Scottish highland winters
    4) Bike and clobber will fit in the back just by taking front wheel off

Whenever possible though I use the wife's Navarra double cab if me and the bike are going to get really muddy

andytherocketeer

Seat Leon Cupra (Mk1, but thinking of trading in for the newer FR)

It's swift with Audi/VW technology but isn't an Audi.
    Can fit 2 bikes in the back with seats down and luggage for a week, or skis/snowboard and luggage for a week.

ski
    Free Member

Mister P – Member

2005 Passat 1.9TDI 130 Highline estate as I am a middle aged man with responsibilities and no imagination.

Same here, but could not afford a second had Passat, so bought a boring old battered Golf TDI Estate, because:

Even if I tried I cannot get excited any more about cars.

Need a car with a reasonable tip sized boot to lug crap about with.

Don't earn enough to but a nice new car and even if I did, I am not sure I would?

idontlikechips
    Free Member

Seat Ibiza FR TDi, it has had a few tweaks and is running at 190 bhp whith loads of torque.

willard

Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 DTi Limited.

Because it was 600 quid and _still_ keeps running, even after 200k miles came and went

stumpy01

idontlikechips…who did you get that remapped with? Any problems? New clutch? I seem to remember you have a few other bits & pieces too?
    Must be a belter – mine is quick 'enough' as stock.

Keep toying with the idea of a standard remap, but am put off by tales of clutch dying very quickly, and people keep saying it won't run as well as standard.

hora
    Free Member

dialled mike- still got it? Whats the mileage now?

benman
    Free Member

A transit connect, because I can fit the bikes in without taking the wheels off, I can kip in the back in bad weather instead of camping, and my daily commute is only 6 miles :o)

My missus still has a 'real' car for when we have to look respectable!

Olly
    Free Member

Pug 206SW

Why: Because i was in the garage when my dad was buying a new car, and said jokingly to the dealer "got any diesel 206s going?"

"No" he said, "but weve got a 206 estate back with a stupidly low mileage and the best* engine in the range over there."

"for 5k beer tokens its yours sir"

*best reviewed by parkers and whatcar etc, not quickest.

YOINK!

Advantages?

ITS AWESOME.

perfect shape for bikes, while maintaining hatchback driving and size.
    great engine, not massivly quick, but fun to drive and strong.
    ticks EVERY practicality box.

Lashing eyes in the boot to tie bikes down with,
    seats fold flat to make it like a van back (which is how it lives)
    no Sill in the boot
    power point in the boot.
    engine pulls the same empty or full of kit. (230ish Torque)
    its "sahara yellow" which i hated at first, but turns out is the same colour as road dirt, so never needs cleaning and it has grown on me 🙂
    it gets 55mpg, which is pretty good for a 5yr old car if you ask me 🙂

group 4 insurance
    band B tax

Coyote
    Free Member

What: M plate Vauxhall Astra.
    Why: It was cheap. It's in phenominally good condition for it's age. It's very economical to run. Oh, and I like Astras of that vintage. 8)

chvck
    Free Member

Nissan D22 because it's big! Can fit 5 bikes with wheels on and 4 people (legally) in it. Real reason for needing it is for the farm and the need to pull heavy trailers (if I ever manage to pass the damn trailer test!).

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘What car do you drive, and why?’ is closed to new replies.