• This topic has 72 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • What car do I want? Clue: it's not the one I thought it was!
  • Alex

Long thread a while ago about mid size SUVs. Pretty much decided on a Seat Ateca. Current waiting list is 26 weeks. Made me think that actually for the price of a new car, I could have something quite a lot nicer*. I’m less bothered about getting a bike in the back than I was but I do want an estate or SUV. Currently considering 2nd hand options with 5-10000 miles and 6-9 month old including:

BMW 520 or 530 SE Touring (bro has one, driven it, liked it)
    Audi A4 Allroad – whatever engine I could get for similar money to BMW
    AUdi A6 avant prob the 2.0
    C Class Merc or E class Merc with the 2.1 D
    Volvo XC60

Or even save some cash and get a Passat Alltrack

I’ve had a few Audi’s and VWs. Not driven anything newish tho. Never had a volvo, Merc or BMW

Mileage is about 17-2000 per year. Lots of motorway. Want auto/DSG, would like Auto Cruise and Panoramic sunroof. Needs to be comfortable, quiet, adequately brisk and not handle like a total barge. And fit four adults (kids are 16 and 18 now so adults apparently. In size anyway 😉 )

What have I missed?

* being honest this is a bit of a luxury. I know I could get 90% of the functionality for 50% of the price, but I don’t care. I just fancy one of these and can afford it so…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Recently got rid of an XC60 2.4 SELux and it was nice, smaller on the inside than you’d think.. but a nice car, bit bulky and I always thought “bulkier than it needed to be” but I did come down from an XC90 which was ridiculous and a barge.
    I’ve owned Beemer 530ds too (2 off) and loved those, plenty of space inside, nimble enough and very comfortable too..
    When changing this time around I too looked at Allroads (A4/6) and liked the A4 2.0d because it’s a bit smaller, didn’t buy one.
    Didn’t look at beemers either (had them)
    So chose a petrol hybrid SUV, it’s a similar footprint to the XC60 but a million times better to drive and is soooooo darn comfortable, and yet doesn’t drive like it’s an SUV size car..

But with your mileage I’d stick to diesels.

johndoh
    Free Member

Recently got rid of an XC60 2.4 SELux and it was nice, smaller on the inside than you’d think.. but a nice car, bit bulky and I always thought “bulkier than it needed to be”

Perhaps all the talk of SUVs being internally smaller than you think, I expected to feel that when I got my XC60 recently (coming from an A6 Avant) but I think it strikes a nice balance between feeling relatively compact and having a decent amount of space.

the 2.4 diesel engine sounds like a tractor though (although I guess that was going to happen coming from a 3.0 V6 diesel in the Audi).

And the turning circle of a medium-sized oil tanker too.

Or get one of these – very sexy looking.

Alex

Thanks. I did look at an XC90 but after it took me 5 minutes to walk round it, decided way too big for me. Drove the Skoda Koriaq as well and felt the same way hence not being that interested in a Tiguan or the like.

I’ve had a couple of A4s (saloons) and I’d definitely prefer a bit more space you get in the A6. But a mate has an A4 all-road with the 3.0D in it. That’s a nice engine.

I reckon the one after this might be a hybrid or even full electric the way that technology is advancing.

allfankledup

You want a van – t5 Kombi – mostly because you can actually sit in the back and have leg room

And because it annoys people on STW

Alex

That Alfa looks fab. Never heard of it before.

I am clearly going to have to go and drive a volvo tho. That’s a sentence I never thought I’d write!

Alex

I do want a Van. I can’t afford a van! And since I also need driving home from the pub on occasion, I need a car my wife can drive. And she really doesn’t like vans at all. Regardless of all the effort I’ve put in to change her mind!

johndoh
    Free Member

And they look amazing in the cabin too.

allfankledup

Buy a van – same footprint as a passat, get a pub bike…

siwhite
    Free Member

I have a Passat Alltrack – a bit older than you’ll likely be looking at (2013) – but I absolutely love it. It was a high spec model from a dealer – cost nearly £40k new with almost every add-on going – which I bought for about 40% of the new price with 60k on the clock. Loads of the things you are after – leather, adaptive cruise, panoramic sunroof etc. Cruise is the best thing ever – set it at 75mph on the motorway and you just need to steer, even in heavy traffic. Big enough inside, and easy to get a bike or two on a towbar mounted rack.

The only downside is that they are fairly rare, and high spec models are few and far between.

aP
    Free Member

Merc C350e estate? I bought a C220d estate at 7 months old very high spec over 25% off list, there seem to be some pretty good bargains available – herself wanted a GT Coupe, but you can’t put a bike in one of those.

Alex

Looking at a couple of Merc estates in the next week or so. I didn’t even know about the alltrack until I saw one at a dealers a while ago. As you say, pretty rare, not seen one since!

Best hit Autotrader again…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yip, I looked a Merc C220 estates too.. very nice.. was in my top 3 choice list. I also looked at the GLA220 and almost bought one.. but they’re darn expensive for what they are.. but nice.. small inside though and the two front seats in the AMG are thick and tall and absure rear passengers view.. nice though, really nice, didn’t buy it though.

I like the look of the new XC40, if it had been available when I ordered my new car then I may have considered it, the D2 engine is frugal and has more than enough punch for me.. but it wasn’t available and I preferred the hybrid..

Back to the XC60 for a second.. lovely thing, very comfortable and composed.. but don’t go for the 2.4d engine because it’s a bulky heavy thing and drinks fuel (aves 42, and I drive like a grandpa) you can get the smaller d3 or if lucky the d2.. can’t comment on what they’re like though. Mine was an auto, nice simple shifts and you rarely new what gear you were in it was that smooth.. the shape of the 60 is pleasant enough, I just never liked the inside pinned in feeling.. the new one is boxier and I think suits the car better, the older one has the cabin pinned in because of the rear pillars and it does make the inside feel small.. especially when you choose black on black with a bit more black thrown in for good measure… and it’s an odd shape IMO.. it’s quite rounded boxy wings mean it’s a bit odd parking and if you don’t have the rear camera it must be a proper PITA to rear park.. anyway don’t discount it.. take a look first.

But I’ve chosen well this time, for mileage and comfort I want my new ones a cracker and it’s soooo nice to drive.

geoffj

If you are looking in shooting brake territory, it would be rude to ignore the Jag

I really like the new big volvos though

deepreddave
    Free Member

Check out Motorpoint, prices for low mile newish models were the cheapest I could get from a large franchise/dealer. I’ve just bought an SE Tech Octavia estate with the new Amundsen info thingy and adaptive cruise, 5mths old, 10k and 60% of retail. The Superb is only slightly bigger but more refined and the SEL has all the spec you need and is only a few thousand more. Best large estate in many people’s eyes, great vfm. I would have bought an SUV if I could have found a 7 seater where the rearmost seats weren’t for children only.

Alex

I did drive an f-pace. It was a bit harsh round town but superb on the motorway. So much cash tho and once I’d added just a couple of options, outside the budget. Even the 2nd hand ones are really commanding high prices. And it felt a bit small inside. It was great but not as great as I expected it to be. And the whole Jag experience just left me wanting to set fire to the building.

I do have a search on for an XF tho. Mighty fine looking car. I’ve found a local volvo dealer. I shall dig out some beige trousers and some form of hat 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t forget to dribble on your M&S shirt when walking into the Jag dealer.

Alex

Motorpoint does have some good deals. Nearest one isn’t that far from me. And it’s on the way to CwmCarn so that could work.

@BB- dribbling isn’t even optional nowadays 🙂

prawny

We test drove the old xc60, loved it but couldn’t afford a good one. Would definitely have one if I could get one I liked for the right price.

Would love a 530d too, but I think might be too low for Mrs P also I’ve not looked at the numbers but felt loads longer than the XC60 too for no real gain in interior space. Better to drive though…

Ended up with a nearly new 2 series active tourer, it’s great but doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for.

Actually another option would be a 3 Series GT, the leg room in the back is huge but the car it’s self isn’t that big.

iainc

I had a 520d manual estate for 4 years – really liked it. Replaced it this march with an A6 avant 2.0d, Stronic and quattro. It is a much nicer place to be IMO.

Definitely not so good on twisty country roads at speed, but that’s not really an issue for me. Effortless driving, comfy, reasonable economy.

andy8442
    Free Member

Skoda Octavia Est. About 10 years old, £500, what more do you want?

Alex

Definitely not so good on twisty country roads at speed, but that’s not really an issue for me. Effortless driving, comfy, reasonable economy.

Yeah, that’s me as well. Useful info on the XC60. BMW is quite low. My Bro has the M sport one, same engine In think but after the Yeti it was like sitting on the ground!

bikebouy
    Free Member

You could always buy a 320d and stick an M badge on it .. or an x-drive sticker…

Alex

I don’t want the M.. harsher ride, silly wheels, annoying graphics!

unovolo
    Free Member

For similar money to a new Seat Ateca or similar of the above you cond have one of these.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bentley-Continental-GT-GT-w12-6-0-plate-stays-with-car-PETROL-AUTOMATIC-2005-M-/253224610701?hash=item3af55ceb8d:g:X4UAAOSw0exZ73ZC
    I know its quite a bit older and might cost a bit more to run but you’d feel a but special in it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Panoramic sunroof

Just be aware that,as a driver, you will probably have no idea that you have a pano roof …. it seems they’re purely for the benefit of the back seat passengers.
    Still nice though.

Alex

I’ve had Pano roofs in the last two Yeti’s. Every time I drive a car without one, it feels really dark! If it was just for the back seat passengers, I’d not bother 😉

For ages I’ve been looking at 10 year old luxury barges – really wanted an 840i for reasons I can’t quite fathom! But a) I just know something like that would go wrong and cost me thousands and b) I just don’t thinkI could turn up at work/mates with something like that. Not without a cravat anyway!

Alex

Well I thought I’d update my own thread. As expected the whole car buying process left me cold. It’s like dealing with double glazing salesmen only with slightly less ethical integrity 😉 I drove the A4, A6, (didn’t get to try an all road), 520, 530, XC60 and maybe a couple of others. It’s all a blur now.

Lots of dealers with loads of stock. Ended up with a massive horse-trading session between about 3. Ended up with a new 520D (2.0) SE Touring with a couple of options. UK stock so basically 0% APR and a ridiculous discount that made me walk away from a couple of 2nd hand deals on year old cars.

It’s taken too much time and I’ve not enjoyed it at all. I cannot believe how complicated the spreadsheet I built ended up. It’s basically a half decent financial modelling tool now!

I signed for it tonight. Pick it up Weds. Don’t intend to step inside another car dealers until it’s due a service.

The only fun bit was the look on the face of a couple of the salesmen when I insisted on checking if a MTB would fit in the back 🙂

kcal

good work. Aye, like moving houses it’s not something I’d like to do on a regular basis. I can’t comprehend those who try to do either frequently. This is only my third flat/house in 33 years. And number of cars — on my 8th in same period…

oh, and current car will take a decent sized MTB in back, wheels on. Just (if plus, no bother if 29r).

Alex

Wheels on is good. It’s quite nice in there tho. I’d best buy a boot liner!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good cars the 520d, think you’ll really enjoy it.

oldtennisshoes

Nice motor – I really like the new model 5 series.

Alex

I drove the old one and the new one. I couldn’t tell that much difference from a driving point of view. One was the m-sport and the other one was on the 19inch wheels so not a direct comparison. The inside is quite different. That virtual dash is quite funky but the new 10inch infotainment (really!) screen is very good indeed and the software easy to use.

It’ll stay mostly parked for a month or so until my Yeti goes back. I was just happy to get it done at below my budget and wasn’t expecting a new one for that. Buyers market out there esp for Diesel.

Kryton57

until my Yeti goes back

I’d be interested in your review of the Yeti, I’ve a choice of Skoda motoring on a lease or keeping my 120d soon – cheap Salesman/Biker motoring while the money goes on the family car…

BigJohn

The only fun bit was the look on the face of a couple of the salesmen when I insisted on checking if a MTB would fit in the back

I know the feeling. I usually ask them to put the seats down and stick a windsurfer in to check.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You chose the right wheels and spec for that 520 I reckon. My two were the Sport Tourings (I was going through a ponce phase) and whilst comfortable and driving pleasure, I do wish I’d gone for the SE and Boggo 17 or 18 wheels for added comfort .. (I put 170k on the first and 240k on the second, both pulled 24/30ft yachts around Europe)

Enjoy.

Alex

I’ve had two Yeti’s. A 2.0D and this 1.2 Petrol. Both were brilliant. The DSG in this one was the gearbox that made me never want a manual again! They aren’t that big inside in terms of boot space even with the seats down (bike with one wheel off fine tho).

Driving position – fab. Engines. Fine. Servicing. Cheap. Tyres. Cheap-ish. Insurance. Cheap-ish. See where I’n going with this? They handle as you’d expect but are still fun to drive if you’re not looking for a sporty experience. Had a couple of reliability niggles with this one but sorted by Skoda without any fuss.

If they still made them, I’d have another one with a slighter more powerful engine. I didn’t have time to wait for the Koraq (and it looked very expensive compared to the Yeti) and I didn’t like the Kodiaq much.

There are some good deals going on Yeti’s. Lots about. the 1.2 TSI is fine for such a small engine in a heavy car. Mine is the elegance spec and I added the Pano roof. Really going to miss it.

Alex

@BB – yeah I’m not a fan of the big wheels or the M-Sport suspension. This apparently puts me in the minority although I’m not quite sure why!

iainc

Good to hear about the new 5 Tourer. I loved mine (13 plate) but couldn’t hang off for the new version so ended up with an A6 Avant.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I love our 2010 new shape 520d auto estate.

Comfy, fun, economic, quick, effortless, large enough but not barge like.

Drove it full up to Italy and back, twice this year. Once filled with mates and Dh bikes on it, once with family and bikes on it. 😀

It never put a foot wrong. When we got back, if I’d have had to turn around and go back, I would have. Without even a moan.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘What car do I want? Clue: it's not the one I thought it was!’ is closed to new replies.