Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What Car?
  • GoatKarma
    Free Member

Unfortunately during last week’s storm, a tree fell on my wife’s Yaris whilst driving it. It’s a bleedin’ miracle she wasn’t hurt more than she was (cuts and bruises), as a branch came through the windscreen and pushed the whole dashboard into her head (there’s a picture a wee bit down on the Telegraph website here,and this is what the inside looked like).

The car has just been confirmed as a write off. Bit annoying as it was only a year old, and still had 4 years finance left on it (and we don’t have GAP insurance), but it’s just a car, and things could have been so much worse.

Once we have the settlement, paid off the finance (plus a whole lot more from our own pocket), we need to start looking for a new car.

I hardly drive (just cycle everywhere), so it’s mainly for my wife who drives 85 miles a day on a twisty-ish A road (A91 if anyone knows it). This time round, we are looking for something bigger than a Yaris as, understandably, my wife is pretty worried about driving again and I want her to feel as safe as possible.

With that in mind, I’ve made a quick list of cars to go and look at. We have a budget around £9K, and not sure whether to go for diesel or petrol this time. Last time we went diesel which was very economical, but there is a possibility of car sharing now so my wife may not need to do quite so many miles, and the petrol models of most cars seem a bit cheaper.

She’s been getting a lift in a freelander this last week and she quite likes the idea of being a bit higher up. I’m not keen on a freelander myself at all (and neither is she), and probably wouldn’t get a decent one anyway for that cash, however I thought something like a Nissan Juke might fit the bill? The Juke seems to be in budget but not sure if it’s reliable (it’s also a bit gopping to look at). Are there other cars similar to that, apart from a Skoda Yeti?

Here’s my list, have I missed anything, any recommendations?

-Ford Focus
    -Nissan Juke
    -Ford Eco Sport
    -Skoda Yeti
    -Vw Golf
    -Honda Civic
    -Toyota Auris
    -Hyundai i30

jimjam
    Free Member

I doubt there is any modern car that would stand up to a tree falling on it regardless of the size. If I had to place a bet (short of something with a full roll cage) I’d say something like a Smart car with it’s safety cell, or Ford B-Max which has a reinforced roof. Both quite small.

It’s understandable that your wife would want a car that makes her feel safer but I’m not sure what the logic is in just buying something slightly bigger or higher?

As for your list we recently bought a Focus 1.0 ecoboost and it’s a great wee car. If you want to know more, please ask.

fasthaggis

I doubt there is any modern car that would stand up to chance of a tree falling on her next car, regardless of the make

^^fixed for JimJam 😛

Glad she’s ok,must have been scary.
    A person at work (lives in Cupar) told be about that accident,he drives a Yeti.It’s a sign I tell yea 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

fasthaggis

^^fixed for JimJam 😛

I did actually think about posting that and then I thought, I don’t want to be the guy who says that and then it does happen again.

doris5000

if i wanted a smallish car and my main motivation was tree-falling-resistance i’d probably get a Volvo C30.

I must acknowledge tho that I have no real evidence for that but superstition – after my brother rolled his Volvo S60 several times into a field & came to rest upside down, he opened the door, crawled out and walked away. Then went and bought the exact same model again…

P-Jay
    Free Member

We had an i30 for a hire car for a couple of weeks, boring to look at but feels very solid and drives very well.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

cheers guys, should have said it isn’t really tree falling resistance she is looking for 😀 Just that general feeling of being in a chunkier car! She slipped on ice on the same road a few years ago in our old car (Aygo) and ended up down and embankment in a field, so it’s just something that will give her a bit more confidence again.

legend
    Free Member

Sounds like she should be safely tucked up in the kitchen

the-muffin-man

…as a serious option – look at Subarus. You’d get a nice 4WD Impreza for 9k (a normal one not WRX!).

TheFlyingOx

How about the James May favourite?
    Dacia Sandero

Other than that, going on previous car history & price range, how about a Nissan Note?

kcal

modern cars are a bit compromised from POV of A pillar strength are they mot?

Must try and link that Top Gear video of the Saab 900 vs BMW 3 series being dropped from a height, I think the elk test made the Saab quite resilient to A pillar crushing.

Daffy

How odd that the airbag doesn’t seem to have gone off, I know it’s usually triggered by the bumper impact, but still…

Rockape63
    Free Member

Got my Mrs a Volvo…..they are very safe. Apparently only 11 people have ever died in a Volvo…….ever! 😮

jimdubleyou

We have a Ford Kuga. Which is a bit like a Focus on stilts.

I quite like it.

maccruiskeen

Here’s my list, have I missed anything, any recommendations?

-Ford Focus
    -Nissan Juke
    -Ford Eco Sport
    -Skoda Yeti
    -Vw Golf
    -Honda Civic
    -Toyota Auris
    -Hyundai i30

If she liked that higher driving position but does want something faux 4×4 like a freelander I found the driving position in a Kia Venga good. One of the comfiest cars I’ve ever driven too, even in an 8 hour drive around the highlands with sciatica.

She slipped on ice on the same road a few years ago in our old car

Any significance to the ‘Karma’ in your username?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Rockape63 – Member

Got my Mrs a Volvo…..they are very safe. Apparently only 11 people have ever died in a Volvo…….ever!

Nah, I call bullshit on that. Yes they build cars with an emphasis on safety, but they’ve been making cars since the 1920s, in all those years only 11 people have died in one – nah no chance.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Rockape63 – Member
    Got my Mrs a Volvo…..they are very safe. Apparently only 11 people have ever died in a Volvo…….ever!

Presumably doesn’t include those who died of old age?

😉

Rockape63
    Free Member

Nah, I call bullshit on that.

I’m only telling you what the salesman told me! Surely you’re not suggesting he lied? 😯

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would be looking at a 1.0 Focus or even a Kia Sportage if she wants something high up. The recent good looking sportages should be available for well below £9k now.

If you get any Ford make sure it is at least the level of Zetec as that’s when they start getting heated windscreens and with you being that for north that will be very handy. It’s handy in the midlands so for me it would be a necessity

HansRey

+1 for the HYundai i30. I hired a hatchback version 2 years ago and it was a nice enough drive. Plenty of space in the back for a couple of bikes and suitcases, with the seats down. GF is looking at buying one of these and it is a really sensible (yet dull) decision.

+1 for Scooby Imprezas too. I’ve been looking at the 2007-11 hatchbacks and they’re a good deal cheaper than Audi A3, Golfs, anything from Toyota or a Skoda Yeti. Over here in Finland, they tend to sell quickly. There are lots of wannabe Kimi Raikkonens. So if you want one and find one, snap it up!

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Hey everyone, we are now the proud owners of a 62 plate Volvo S60 1.6d drive! The car wasn’t even on our radar, and its slightly bigger than the type of car we were looking for, but its solid, boring, and economical (and cheap! Was equivalent price to a same age Focus and only has 30k on it). We test drove loads and it was definitely the comfiest of the lot. Combined with some cheap servicing and warranty packs courtesy of a friend who works in the dealer’s head office, we are really pleased! Pick up Wednesday.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What Car?’ is closed to new replies.