Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What car??
  • londonmtb
    Free Member

Suggestions please, guys & girls:
    My boyf & I currently own a wildly impractical 2-seater. No chance of getting MTBs on it. So we are hoping to retire it to the country, and get a more practical car that will allow us to take our bikes around the country 😀
    We have slightly different priorities, he & I, so the list of ‘desirable traits’ for the new car is (in approximate order of importance, obviously needs to be able to take MTBs, too!)…
    1 <£13k (the lower the better!)
    2 Speedy 😈
    3 x4 seats, but back seats don’t have to be particularly spacious. Just for luggage/occasional small-legged guests
    4 Comfortable to drive & ‘nice’ interior (whatever that means)
    5 (Boyfriend’s requirement) ‘Classy’ 😕
    6 (my suggestion) Not too expensive to maintain/run (although granted we will need to compromise on petrol-costs if we want speed), ie reliable and not ridiculous insurance (we do live in East London after all :roll:)

We have had various suggestions: BMW 3-series (335i convertible a bit too expensive, might stretch to a non-convertible), BMW other-series (6 series can now be got for £11k?1?), some sort of Subaru, some sort of Audi (too expensive?), Golf GTI (boring?). As an experiment I tried to suggest a Mondeo ST 220 and even a Skoda Octavia VRS, but that was met with a frown…I’m not sure that satisfies requirement 5 for my boyfriend!!

Any suggestions? Comedy answers also welcome to brighten up my Sunday task!! 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the Skoda? Paint it in team colours, lob a couple of bikes on the roof and drive as fast as you like with complete impunity.

Tiboy

boxster? two boots and can carry bikes… who needs to be able to take friends along for the ride?!

I miss mine… 🙁

Hairychested
    Free Member

Classy and a beemer coupe?
    From http://awesomecarauctions.com/:

chewkw
    Free Member

Mazda 6 or the estate version.

How old is he btw?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Audi TT- perfect for back seat passengers with short legs.

londonmtb
    Free Member

oooh, some excellent suggestions!!
    (I’m not answering the ‘how old is he’ question, suffice to say he’s not having a middle-aged crisis yet!). Mazda 6 nice-looking car but perhaps a bit too grown-up and not quite fast enough, sorry 😉
    I like the orange Skoda!! But I have quite chavvy tastes and by boyf has, well, taste, so that might just have to be MY car!
    Boxster, now there’s an idea…Oh yes, I forgot to add, need to be able to transport skis in it, too. Also my sister’s boyfriend has one, don’t want to look like we’re copying…Lovely car though.

Just to get a perspective londonmtb, despite talk of boyfriend – are you male, or female?

bruneep

Alice

NSFW sweary word content

londonmtb
    Free Member

he he, female, fair question. I like driving though so it’s not just going to be him at the steering wheel!

londonmtb
    Free Member

Awh, that song!! Nobody’s EVER sung that song at me… 😕

bakey

I’m thinking about a new car w/ similar spec as your b/f. As I love Alfas my choice currently is a Brera or the GT.

londonmtb
    Free Member

Bakey, I LIKE!!!!

londonmtb
    Free Member

Sorry, no, I meant you’re offering, STR! (the Audi!). Alfas not my thing. Too try-hard 8)

Daffy

335i convertible is useless for bikes, you can only get one in the boot and they can’t go on the roof. If you’re lucky you’ll get 15-20mpg out of it.

You can’t fold the rear seats in a 6 series. + you’ll only get a high mileage 645 for 11k. Tyres are between £900-£1200 a set + very expensive servicing. Mpg at about 18ish.

Both of these cost £465 a year to tax.

TheFlyingOx

£10 k will get a good one. Uber-classy, very rare, tasty V6 engine same as in the Nissan 350z.

chewkw
    Free Member

350Z is nicer but if you are going for Alfa Romeo then go for Giulietta as it is better looking. Not sure about their reliability though.

Guilietta’s new isn’t it – can you get them for £13k?

Not as pretty in the flesh as the TV advert either.

stevemtb
    Free Member

If you think the Mazda 6 is nice but too slow have a look at the MPS. You might get a bit of a surprise!

If you’re thinking Subaru, the Legacy does the whole looking discreet but being quick thing very well.

Volvo have some cracking stealth cars that look classy. For something quick look at the T5 (turbo petrol) range, bit of pace but good economy, the D5 range (diesel). Great bike carriers too.

BMW 330 diesels are meant to be a fantastic compromise between speed (probably as quick as most hot hatches) and ecomony. The 130i gets raves about too but it’s a bit marmite – I don’t like the look of it at all.

Focus ST, if he doesn’t like the Mondeo this is probably out.
    Audi S4
    VW passat W8 or R36 (not sure if they’re in budget or you could find one but one of the best sleepers around)
    Golf R32/GTI – from mark 5 onwards they’ve got the GTI right again, R32 is 4 wheel drive with a very nice sound too
    Saab 9-3/9-5 aero variant

How about keeping the two seater and getting a van/Volvo estate for biking trips?

Nice dilema to have!

molgrips
    Free Member

TT.

londonmtb
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, all helpful and v thorough 🙂
    So much to think about now!

crazy-legs

A mate had a Volvo estate once with no markings/model reference on it at all. Looked all boring and sensible, it was even beige. Went like a scalded rabbit, it would beat pretty much anything away from the lights. Absolutely vast inside and it had heated seats too which was great after biking in the wet and cold.

What’s wrong with Skoda? Rapha and several other teams use Skodas as their Team cars cos they’re bombproof, cheap, reliable and classy (in a kind of understated way).

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Get the Skoda Octavia VRS.

Show your BF under the bonnet and point out all the audi & VW parts then mention the 170 BHP Audi derived CR diesel engine. It goes in many Audi’s & VW’s and Skoda’s and Seats. If its a petrol you want then the VRS is a 200BHP engine. nice….

Diesel is quick, cheap, refined, economic, sticks to the road like poo to a blanket, great fun, large bike swallowing boot, can seat 5 but goes faster with 2, 20,000 service interval (on diesel anyway), interior is very nice and well specified with 6 CD multi changer, SD card slot and 3.5mm jack socket, touch screen stereo, lovely seats, cruise, elecy windows, etc …

You’d be a fool not to consider one IMO.

(ex badge snob)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What car??’ is closed to new replies.