Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What can you suspect a bike is stolen?
  • mark88

The guy I have been renting a room from returned in the early hours of this morning with 2 bikes which he claims he had been keeping at his ex girlfriends house, hence why I’d never seen them before.
    I have no real reason to suspect they are stolen so I can’t expect the police to be interested. He has never mentioned owning a bike despite me keeping 2 in the house.

The bikes he turned up with are distinctly different, a well used Boardman road bike with SPDs, Ritchey stem and I think changed bar tape and tyres,and a Dawes hybrid that looks like it’s never turned a wheel.
    I smell a rat but have no idea what I can do?

mark88

Post topic should be “What can you do if you suspect a bike is stolen?”
    Too early to concentrate on being a vigilante!

cheekyget
    Free Member

Take a pic of the frame numbers and contact the old bill
    Unless you really need rent …then just tell him to get rid of them

lerk
    Free Member

Assuming he has transport, report it as “saw shifty looking bloke loading into car at 1AM” instead, thus deflecting attention from yourself.

lerk
    Free Member

Also, on the spd front – does he have any shoes to go with them???
    As they say, if it looks like a horse…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Invite him out for a ride, see if “no shoes” is his excuse. Or if he has any awareness of the bike at all.

Euro
    Free Member

To most people bikes are just bikes not a lifestyle toy and a topic of conversation. Maybe your neighbour is one of those most people? He has a bike and bought one for this lady who never rode it (i’ve one of those at home 😀 )

mark88

Take a pic of the frame numbers and contact the old bill

That’s my plan, but it wasn’t possible whilst he was in the house this morning. I’m going to see if LBS will lend me a blacklight to see if they’ve been marked.

Assuming he has transport, report it as “saw shifty looking bloke loading into car at 1AM” instead, thus deflecting attention from yourself.

Also, on the spd front – does he have any shoes to go with them???

No transport, which makes it all the more unusual that I’ve never seen him with a bike before, and never seen anything cycling related so I very much doubt he has any shoes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What can you suspect a bike is stolen?’ is closed to new replies.