Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What can you do about cars parking on private property?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So I’m back on site at the houses we built a while back. Been back here a couple of weeks now and no problems. Lo and behold I get here this morning and there’s a car parked on the land to the front of the properties. It’s now locked on site as I’ve pulled both bollards up, I presume the neighbour who has access to the bollards either left one unlocked or actually let them on.
    So can we clamp these days, get someone to fetch it or should I just accidentally back into with the towbar 👿

shermer75
    Free Member

Burn it

Klunk
    Free Member

should I just accidentally back into with the towbar

why mess about, just wait until the owner turns up and set about him/her with a baseball bat. 🙄

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u1j4mK6cs_A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Du1j4mK6cs_A[/video]

toys19
    Free Member

If someone is blocking access to your property the police/council have the power to tow it away.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

In my long experience with dodgy neighbours parking, not a lot. The police arent interested unless its nicked or involved in something, the DVLA wont touch it unless the tax is out of date, and even then arent that bothered and the council wont touch it as its not their land/problem. Your best hope is to make it block a road or cause and obstruction and the police should come and recover it.

samuri
    Free Member

I *think* you may have broken the law by blocking them in. It’s tantamount to clamping which is normally illegal.

Are there signs saying cars will be locked into the land? if not you need to let them out.

if you think it’s been dumped you need to put a notice on the car telling them it will be removed in 14 days but that’s something you will have to pay for.

sandwicheater

You have a fist, shake it in the cars general direction!

Shake harder boy!

Stoner
    Free Member

lifting strap around the wheel hub, other end hooked on to the excavator bucket and drag it out on to the street. Now it’s the Police’s problem 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Barriers were up so in theory it was already blocked in. No 2 barrier now has padlock attached as it should have always. And yes there is proper signage up saying private land don’t park here/clamping etc.
    Problem is its one of those classic market town terraced streets where nasty developers have come and tried to make some money. However in the process we took down three complete eyesore workshops and generally made the whole area100% better.
    And I’m not a yank sportsman, why would I have a baseball bat, it’ll be claw hammer ftw!

wrightyson
    Free Member

We did that before stoner via the tow bar and mini digger, much to people’s disgust on here I might add. No machine on site now as we’re finishing off so its not an option today 😐

trail_rat
    Free Member

so – why havnt you just pulled it into the road ?

dunno m’lord the hardbrake musta been off.

MartynS

Just to counter samurai I *think* you can prevent the car from leaving by using bollards or barriers on private land as long as they were in place when the car arrived.
    What you can’t do is charge for release.
    Leave the bollards up with your number on the car and when you get an angry phone call take your own good time to go and unlock them

spooky_b329

First time in two weeks…not worth getting upset about. If it was a serial offender then fair enough…

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just move it. Trolley jack or similar under the rear axle, and roll it out into the road. Put the barrier up. Deny all knowledge.

wwaswas

change the padlock.

theotherjonv

Leave the bollards up with your number on the car and when you get an angry phone call take your own good time to go and unlock them

This. Leave a note saying that you lock the bollards because otherwise people take the piss and park there. If he’s been allowed to park there by the neighbour he’ll appreciate the measures being taken to protect his space, if he hasn’t been he’ll get the message.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

cbmotorsport – Member

Just move it. Trolley jack or similar under the rear axle, and roll it out into the road. Put the barrier up. Deny all knowledge.
    this

just move it yourself some how and deny all knowledge.
    i had a car which parked infront of my drive a couple of times ( i dont care if he can or cant, its a respect thing !! )
    anyways left him/her a note on there wind screen explaining the nice side of me, and if they have a problem then please knock on my door. it never happened again.

iolo
    Free Member

Call the police. Say it’s trespassing and is in the way of you completing your works.
    Say there is a strong chance it will be damaged.
    Call 101. It’s a non emergency.
    If it isn’t in the way just leave heavy stuff around it so the owner can’t move it. They won’t park there again.

shermer75
    Free Member

Can you speak to the neighbour?

cookeaa

Drag it onto the nearest set of double yellows, then call…

wrightyson
    Free Member

The neighbours who have a key are both out all day at work I presume. Will leave them a note though.
    The main concern is we lost a sale a while back on one of the finished pair as some **** came up the street parked his car on one of the drives and did one. “The woman loved the house blah blah but was concerned about others using the land” hence the installed bollards!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Is the car not a gift from an admirer? That would be my take on the matter.

iolo
    Free Member

Just scratch it then.

chrismac

LEt their tyres down, doesnt damage their car but will right royally mess them about

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Been back here a couple of weeks now and no problems. Lo and behold I get here this morning and there’s a car parked on the land to the front of the properties.

So not exactly a regular every day occurrence then ?

Why not just leave a note on the window advising that it is private land and asking them not to park there as you lock the bollards at random times and if it is there in future they MAY find that you are unable to return at short notice to let them out and although this may cause them inconveniance you feel that you have given them fair warning by NOT locking them this time

McHamish
    Free Member

Is it parked in the place where you usually splash brake fluid about?

stumpyjon

Yeah, deflate the tyres, can’t see that being illegal, no criminal damage and you’re not stopping them from removing the car, right pain to sort even if you have a pump.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What can you do about cars parking on private property?’ is closed to new replies.