Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What can I do with a 1st gen iPad?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have the original ipad with the cellular option, it cost me a small fortune way back when, but it hasn’t been eligible for updates for quite some time now, which is a shame as it is in perfect condition & even the battery lasts for days. I wanted to give it to my parents but even the basic stuff like the youtube app no longer works, so it makes it confusing even when just browsing as things try to open apps that no longer work (yes I know you could go directly to youtube & search for the vid but the parents won’t get ithat)

So can I update it in any way or is it destined to sit in the garage & just be used to browse the web?

Cheers.

zokes
    Free Member

Jailbreak?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I have one also with the same limitations but it’s still perfectly serviceable. You can access YouTube via Safari and it still syncs with iTunes. That said we use our for the kids. It’s relegated to babysitting duties.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Can you jailbreak the 1? from what I have read it would be very unstable if you did.
    Does anyone know of a successful jailbreak?

Cheers.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

For youtube, just create a bookmark and stick it on the ‘desktop’

DezB
    Free Member

What the others said – use it as a web browser.
    You’re LUCKY that iOS updates don’t apply – I have an iPad 2 that has been ruined by ios9. Slow, laggy and irritating ever since the upgrade.
    The IPad 1 my son has is more useable.

drlex
    Free Member

I found that web browsing (main use) was annoying, due to certain websites causing the browser to crash. Having not used it for a year after getting a mini2 last Christmas, gave it away to a friend for his four year old son to use. It appears that he’s not complained about its performance.

CountZero

piedi di formaggio – Member
    For youtube, just create a bookmark and stick it on the ‘desktop’

?This. I have the YouTube app, but more often than not I view videos via Safari. I have an iPad 3, which is showing its age a bit now, but recent OS updates haven’t compromised it as far as I can see. I’ll be looking at an upgrade at some point this year, though.

justatheory
    Free Member

Use it as a wifi surveillance camera

DezB
    Free Member

Except iPad1 has no camera. 😆

dknwhy

Frisbee.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have an iPad1 too, as per above it still works ok (battery great but todays complex websites are tough for it to handle), youtube runs in Safari. Mail works well. I am thinking of a jailbreak to access some old apps but not sure its really worth all the potential aggravation.

As an aside I only got my Air2 a year or so ago and was using the iPad1 everyday

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What can I do with a 1st gen iPad?’ is closed to new replies.