Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What can I do to make the first 30 mins of each ride feel better ?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Whenever I go out riding the first 30 mins or so is hellish. I am always wheezing and my legs are always aching. Then after that I start to feel better and get into a decent rythm. This is particularly noticeable on group rides, where it is always a struggle to keep up at the start, then I do OK later on.

Can anything be done to help this? Warm up? Interval training? Or is it just my physiology? Or my psychology? I should add that the rides are always rather 'brisk'.

firestarter
    Free Member

dunno but i suffer the same problem 🙁

poppa
    Free Member

What I don't get is how some people seem to be able to just hop onto a bike and start putting the hammer down with no trouble at all. B*tards.

khani
    Free Member

you need to warm up, get the blood out of your body and in you're arms and legs, dont go balls out early on just nice and steady for a bit and then build up

ransos
    Free Member

I wonder if it's age related? As I get older, I find it takes longer to feel good on the bike, but I have much better stamina now then when I was a teenager.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Redbull 🙂

Coleman
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry, 30 mins is a reasonable warm up time.

foxyrider
    Free Member

start 30 minutes earlier 😉

iainc

30 mins at least here too – I think it's increased with age too (now 43).

khani
    Free Member

if its on a group ride, turn up 20mins early and pootle round for a bit then when you get going your warmed up from the off

PJay
    Free Member

That's wierd, me too. The first 30 minutes or so of some rides can be a real struggle – especially if the weather's not great, and sometimes I really feel like I could turn back. After that it's great fun and I feel like I could go on for hours. I've yet to work out how to overcome this though, although a good strong cup of coffee does seem to help.

sockpuppet

increased to 43 minutes? 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

I just put it to warm up time – like pros do before a race – they don't go off cold – its just your body getting used to the extra demand etc IMHO?

djglover
    Free Member

First 10 mins of any ride is easy, then put the hammer down, seem to need to warm up on all rides these days, but didn't a couple of years ago

poppa
    Free Member

I think doing a warm-up first might be a bit much… you already get the pre-ride banter/stealth competetiveness:

'How you feeling today?'
    'Not too great, bit sore from a run..'
    'Me neither'

…and then they smoke you. No one ever says 'I'm feeling great thanks, you better watch out!'

iainc

increased to 43 minutes?

…sometimes feels like it ! 😆

uplink
    Free Member

It's more like an hour for me – not helped by the fact that all the rides seem to start with a big up

khani
    Free Member

i think stamina gets better with age and power declines, 43 now and the young bucks just dissapear at the beginning and then slow down as the day go's on and the old boys start slow and then just keep on going like the duracell bunny, are you listening ladies 😉

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Do you drive,to your meeting place? I like to ride to our meeting place if feasible. Seems to spin some life into these nearly 48 year old legs.My stamina has improved and I was never a quick rider,So I'm happy.

luke.ellis
    Free Member

You tried spending 10-15mins doing some good stretches before you ride. I stretch before and after every ride and find im ok to ride straight out of the blocks.

Gary_M
    Free Member

would you say you are fit or not poppa? I used to always feel like this at the start of a ride but now I'm one of those bastards who can just put the hammer down straight away. I started commuting by bike a couple of years ago and my fitness has improved a massive amount and I can just get straight on the bike morning/evening and just put the speed on.

Oh and I'm 42.

So no secret really – just get fitter 😉

joemarshall
    Free Member

Probably like most things, the way to get good at going off quick, is to practice going off quick.

I am quite good at riding hard to start with, since I live at the bottom of a steep hill, so my commute starts up it. I have no choice but to ride up the darned hill from cold of a morning. It is surprising how quick you warm up if it is the only option.

Joe

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

You are just taking time to warm up. As mentioned above, depending on location/as applicable:

– ride to the start instead of driving
    – do some proper stretching before the ride
    – get there early and go out for a quick spin to warm up

If all that fails you will just have to live with it or give up MTB'ing and take up needlework instead.

GJP
    Free Member

Good – it's not just me then.

For me it seems better or less noticeable in the evenings than it does in the mornings. I have always put it down to the fact that I suffer from Depression but perhaps it has nothing to do with that and it is just age. Certainly wasn't like this a few years ago.

Kramer
    Free Member

What can I do to make the first 30 mins of each ride feel better ?

Start at the top of a hill? Use an uplift service? Move to Morzine?

Onzadog
    Free Member

or, start leading rides where people don't know the area and then everyone will have to ride at whatever pace you choose. get there early and do a couple of road miles to warm up would help. Then while everyone else is doing the carpark faff, do some stretches. Most important though, if people are still faffing after that, keep moving! Don't let yourself cool down again.

Failing that, park at the top of the hill and meet them there. Then, when you've all finished at the carpark at the bottom, blag a lift up to fetch your car!

rOcKeTdOg

+1 but about 27.5 mins

solution-avoid group rides

beardie
    Free Member

Its the last 30 minutes I struggle with 😳

Dimmadan
    Free Member

You need to have a good stretch, before putting your shoes on.

Try jumping on the spot for 2 minutes or skipping, then 1 minute of star jumps. Once you have your heart pumping try 10 push ups followed by 20 sit ups. You then need to start your proper stretches hamstrings followed by calf and groin.

This should all take a good 10-15 minutes if you do it right.

Don't worry if you look a little stupid, it is doing you good.

If you are weezing, get an inhaler from your doctor, but have this 30 minutes before exercise to allow for it to really work.

Last tip is have a bananna. I read that some of the chemicals help you feel happier and more open minded.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What can I do to make the first 30 mins of each ride feel better ?’ is closed to new replies.