Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What camping mattress for kids?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Any recommendations on a camping mattress for the kids. They have Thermarest rip offs but they don’t appear to sleep all that well on them due to them not being all that comfy. Airbeds are cold in my experience. What else is a good option?

Junkyard
    Free Member

mine will sleep on anything tbh

http://www.urbanrock.com/z-lite-regular

These are what i use and they have never moaned

OCtober is the latest we have ever done but not in Scotland

scotroutes

Try combining the two? Thermarest for insulation, air bed underneath for extra cushioning.

Or try an airbed with some other insulation underneath. That silver-foil bubble wrap stuff is pretty cheap and should do the job.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Air bed all the way, trick is not to blow it up dead hard. If you can touch the ground when you lean your hand on it, that’ll be fine when you lay on it.

Make sure they don’t leak first though or you’ll end up on the floor some time in the night, which isn’t nice at all.

Kip

Kip Jr is 4 and a half and sleeps like a dream in one of these types of bed
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Worlds-Apart-401GRF01U-Gruffalo-ReadyBed/dp/B007Y50XYW
    We use a sleeping bag plus extra blankets or duvets if it’s nippy. Never had an issue since using it, not the most practical if you’re backpacking. They do come in bigger sizes but they look a bit different. Depends on the of the kids really.

northernmatt

We took one of those ready beds when we went over to France with our 2yo. We ended up having to use extra blankets and things as well as the cover on it as it wasn’t that thick, we ended up putting the whole thing on a blanket as well. It got quite chilly at night when we were out there, it was usually about 20deg during the day but clear skies at night and the temp really went down quite a bit.

Kip

This is the sleeping bag we use (can’t get clicky to work hence whole link) http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/vango-wilderness-convertible-junior-sleeping-bag-82710024?id_colour=2024

As has been noted, the cover on it’s own isn’t really enough unless it’s proper scorchio! We used it during that really nippy spell in August, out on Dartmoor in the van, she was toasty, I spent all night trying to find a warm spot!

PhilC
    Free Member

Nothing more than a Karrimat. I used to sleep well enough on one – for several weeks when necessary. My 15 year old assures me that they are still comfy too. As an old bloke I now need a little more padding; but kids should be fine on a sheet of newspaper over a few pebbles. A Karrimat will be pure luxury! (just be sure to tire then out!)

dknwhy

We use these Gelert 10cm thick ones for car camping. Huge when rolled up but very comfortable and warm.

danielgroves
    Free Member

A real thermarest 😀

andy8442
    Free Member

Thermorest on top of a cheap camp bed, with a silver foil car windscreen shade in between.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I just replaced my very well used and abused now busted up Vango 7.5cm self inflating sleeping mat with a Grand Canyon Cruise 7.5cm self inflator. in winter months will use in conjunction with a foil backed foam under mat.

Excellent, insulating (not on par with Thermarest but warm and more comfortable) and good price (paid 37 from Amazon) – they come in different thicknesses and sizes. Only downside is pack size and weight, but for car camping is a luxury.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What camping mattress for kids?’ is closed to new replies.