Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What camera under £200?
  • andycs

Daughter is going to work in the US for the summer and needs a camera. My first thought was something like the Olympus Tough. Then she saw the Samsung wi-fi and thought that being able to upload straight to facetwitter would mean she wouldn’t need a large memory card and if she lost the camera at least she wouldn’t loose that many photos. Have no particular preference for make or type so open to any suggestions and advice.

zippykona

[img]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/Zippykona/d29326869b89310db9df4d5ea21d145b_zpsdca32f5f.jpg[/img]
    We bought a canon sx240 for £150. The first picture is a zoom in of the second picture.
    Don’t know my f stop from my what not. We press the button and it takes good pictures.

AlexSimon

The first picture is a zoom in of the second picture.

Really? The top one looks like it’s taken from below building height.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zippykona

You might think that but I have cunningly put the correct picture up when no one was looking.

stumpy01

Most cameras from the big brands under £200 will do a decent job. A lot of it comes down to how comfortable the camera is to a particular user and if the menu system is intuitive to use.

Does she have any specific requirements? Most cameras will do the job, but perhaps she wants a longer lens or a particularly small and pocketable camera. It’s best to get an idea of the requirements and then have a look and see what’s about.

I’ve got a Nikon P300. It’s since been replaced, but whatever the latest version of it is, is pretty similar, it takes good pics, is relatively compact and has a large aperture at the wide angle.
    One negative is that it can struggle to focus in low light, which seems at odds with the wide aperture, but overall it’s pretty good.

Will she have a computer with her? If so, regularly uploading the photo’s is hardly that much effort. Wi-Fi would be a ‘nice to have’ rather than a necessity for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We bought the Samsung one with the LCD on the front.

Pic quality is average (a verty good average, but my old nikon was better) rather than great but otherwise it’s been fine. Biggest problem is the sodding chargeing cable is an odd size, would be a PITA if traveling rather than just a normal USB like a phone or anything else she’s taking.

andycs

Did wonder if wi-fi was a bit of a gimmick at the expense of picture quality.

ska-49
    Free Member

Something by canon. I have a canon G9 and am unbelivably impressed. Cost me just over £100 and is about 6 years old but still gives great photos and awesome functions. I can only imagine a new compact canon would be amazing.

simon_g

Wife has a Canon SX240 which is great if you want a decent zoom (12x) and some manual control without getting too big. Ixus if you can live with only 3 or 4x zoom and less battery life.

Big memory cards cost buttons these days, just make sure the camera can use them (older ones were fussier) and have a few of them to rotate around. 16GB is about a tenner and will take about 4000 photos from a typical compact on high quality settings.

andycs

She has just seen a pink sx240, problem solved!!

tonyplym
    Free Member

Check Amazon for Canon 260SX @ £150 in pink.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What camera under £200?’ is closed to new replies.