Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What camera for biking….
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

I want to get a camera (not to expensive) for taking shots when out biking.

I did my first bothy ride last weekend and wanted to get some good pics of the adventure but the camera I had, a canon £70 jobbie, managed to get some grit or something in the shutter cover so it wouldn’t close properly and the lense misted over.

I managed to get a few pics using my iPhone (check them out here) but want something made for the job.

Sow hat do you use? What cover / bag do you use?
    Ideally I want something fairly compact but that will give me a decent shot.
    I’ve seen a camera (I forget the make) that is a sports camera and shock / dust / waterproof etc and wondered if it was worth a look…

brodie
    Free Member

Ive got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT2, waterproof and shockproof its proper hard as nails. Has a decent Leica lens and is really easy to take a half decent piccy with. Dont remember it being stupid expensive either.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Olympus TG1 or TG2

Tough as old boots, great pics and very long battery life. Virtually never use my DSLR now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TG1. Super piece of kit.

butcher

I used to carry a dSLR everywhere on the bike, even on ‘training’ runs. (you never know when you’re gonna miss a shot). Now I have a Panasonic Lumix LX5. It goes in my jersey pocket. It shoots RAW. It does almost everything my dSLR does – OK, it’s not quite the same, but it’s pretty damn good for carrying around on a bike. Seems to be standing up to the elements thus far too, and even survived hitting the ground on black ice (with me landing on top of it).

molgrips
    Free Member

Something tough, by which I mean one of the ones labelled as ‘tough’ ie waterproof etc. I clip mine to my camelbak strap in a holster not a bag, and it’s held on by bungee cord. I just grab and shoot without fear of dropping it, and if I get it muddy I just rinse it off. I don’t even have to stop to take photos, because it’s external not zipped away in a bag.

user-removed
    Free Member

I got sick of carting the big camera around so bought a waterproof Nikon compact. Image quality is excellent and as above, no worries about dropping it / chucking it in the bottom of a rucksack.

One of these: aw110

fasthaggis

After dithering about,I got a
    Lumix tz40
    It does feel a bit delicate at times,and the buttons can be a bit annoying,but it takes good images,has a lot of handy features and is great when I don’t want to cart the DSLR about.

Olympus TG2 – has quite a fast lens for a compact too @ f2.0

Get some decent results with mine and it produces some fabulous underwater shots. Recently survived a very wet and gritty trip to BPW strapped to my chest and shot some decent quality video (which would have been great if I hadn’t cocked the angle up).

torihada
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Something tough, by which I mean one of the ones labelled as ‘tough’ ie waterproof etc. I clip mine to my camelbak strap in a holster not a bag, and it’s held on by bungee cord. I just grab and shoot without fear of dropping it, and if I get it muddy I just rinse it off. I don’t even have to stop to take photos, because it’s external not zipped away in a bag.

Exactly what I want to do. Has to be tough though; was with guide from TA when he crashed and killed his new camera which was strapped to his chest. Like the look of the Olympus TG2.

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    Olympus TG2 – has quite a fast lens for a compact too @ f2.0

Get some decent results with mine and it produces some fabulous underwater shots. Recently survived a very wet and gritty trip to BPW strapped to my chest and shot some decent quality video (which would have been great if I hadn’t cocked the angle up).

Hows the video? I’d like to use it to get additional video to the go pros on various riders.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Those TG2’s do look mint. Bit more than I’d have wanted to spend but I guess it might be an investment.
    The Lumix AW110 seem to go fairly cheap on eBay so that tempting as well. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing though if there’s a few of them gone cheap.

Anyone want to sell a TG2? Lol

badllama
    Free Member

I’m currently playing with DSLRs BUT i think the new G4 will be the unltimate trail camera due to its 12 fps and 4k video 🙂 And size + weight.
    We will be after a couple for our business B-)

Hows the video? I’d like to use it to get additional video to the go pros on various riders.

Youtube has compressed it a bit – I’m sure it could be better and is on the laptop…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHUS-nLaXcw&list=UUdU5pPgE3vLXoNh8qcZACwQ[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I4V3VUwb8o&list=UUdU5pPgE3vLXoNh8qcZACwQ[/video]

Battery wouldn’t last the day at BPW – need to suss out if I can turn the screen off.

Was worth it’s weight in gold on holiday though.

Mask by davetheblade, on Flickr

Sunset3 by davetheblade, on Flickr

Fishy by davetheblade, on Flickr

Balearic Angel by davetheblade, on Flickr

torihada
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – thanks. Spot on.

The footage on the donut is good; the video copes with the fast moving images, no rolling shutter. The stills look very good. Think I’ve made my decision.

You can also get add on fisheye and zoom lenses for the TG2 – think it has 4x optical built in also

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What camera for biking….’ is closed to new replies.