Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What Camera
  • IanW
    Free Member

Not only OT but OF..

I'm fancying a new camera, pretty new to all this white balance and IOS business.

Will probably buy from Jessops (lots of stock I can touch and feel and prices competitive with online) Somewhere between a Nikon d3000, Canon 450d and a Panasonic GF1.
    Would like to carry the camera whilst riding, stop take pics of deer,snake, person falling off etc. Dont want to become too geeky but willing to put some effort in. Any suggestions camera and lenses??

Cheers

CountZero

There's the new Sony Alpha series compact with interchangable lenses to consider as well. It has some nifty features, like being able to produce panoramas from a continuous sweep of the camera, and a firmware update will enable 3D pics, if you've got an appropriate Bravia TV and the electronic glasses to view with. I think the Lumix has slightly better lenses, which it shares a mount with Olympus, while the Sony is proprietory,

grumm
    Free Member

There's a big thread somewhere on the GF1. Suffice to say I love mine.

Those new Sonys look nice (Nex-3 and Nex-5) – but the controls are apparently pretty poor – there is no control dial so everything is done via lots of menu button presses. Not good if you want to get into photography imo but probably great if you mostly use auto mode.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grantway
    Free Member

Bought the Canon G11 from digi-good for £ 347.00p
    cant recommened it enough.

tron
    Free Member

Honestly, I don't know how anyone takes pictures on a ride. I've taken the camera out a few times, I'm always concious of having it with me and the chance of breaking it. And I never feel like breaking up a good ride to get my mates to "ride over that right good bit" whilst I try and take a photo.

grumm
    Free Member

I go out riding with my gf quite a bit and I'm always waiting for her so plenty of time to take pics. 😉

Can't say I worry too much about breaking mine.

IA

Mentioned it previously, but you can get a panasonic G1 from jessops for £330 still (after rebate).

Tis what I've got, ace bit of kit. Basically a GF1 less the video, and plus a electronic viewfinder, articulating screen and a nicer shape in the hand. Bit less compact, but not in any real terms once a lens is on there. And I use the EVF for 80% of the shots, and generally am shooting from lower level with the LCD swivelled for the rest.

Carry it on the bike in a lowepro rezo TLZ10 clipped to the straps of the camelback, on my chest. Works well.

Fair bit less bulky than my GF's nikon D40 once you account for the lens size. Also being able to use old MF lenses on them and have them meter is great, as I've some old nikon kit.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah the G1 is a great little camera at current prices. Not as sexy as the GF1 though. 🙂

oxnop
    Free Member

Went to buy a GF1 ended up buying a G1 – i've sold my full size DSLR's since buying it as they were not getting used.

It is such a nice camera to work with – Even the GF takes good pics with it 😆

Yeah the G1 is a great little camera at current prices. Not as sexy as the GF1 though

in my opinion the G1 is sexier – nicer in the hand & wouldn't I be without the EVF 😉

IA

Oh, also pertinent to MTB use, I like that on the G1 i can flip the LCD so it's screen-in to the camera. Helps protect it, also good when it's just rattling round a bag or whatever.

grumm
    Free Member

Well I have both! (Got the G1 very cheap) And if I had to sell one it would be the G1. The EVF is good though – I just find the G1 is that little bit bigger that makes it not pocketable.

The G1 is just like a smaller DSLR, whereas the GF1 is an almost Leica-like rangefinder style thing of beauty!

oxnop
    Free Member

The EVF is good though – I just find the G1 is that little bit bigger that makes it not pocketable

I see where you are coming from – I went to buy the GF1 off after reading the GF1 thread (i think you started) and all the talk of the GF1 being so pocketable, the reason I didn't go for the GF1 is that its actually not that pocketable (I don't have any pockets big enough to fit it in!) also I wouldn't want a £500 camera out of a decent case – so once you buy a suitable case there is no real size benefit between the 2.

IanW
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice chaps.

The GF1 is a very nice piece of kit but was stretching my budget a bit especially when you add the eye piece I would have wanted.

Inevitably I started looking at next level dslr's nikon 5000, canon 450/500 etc, but as well as having more confusing (to me) features, they were bulkier and looked more prone to damage than base models.

So I have just ordered a nikon d3000 mostly because it felt nice to hold, was quite small, satisfies my theory that you should by the lowest or highest in a range and most importantly it says nikon in big letters across the top.
    Great deal at Jessops, spring20 code got me £20 of a bag so the the whole deal was under £350.

Dodgy pics to follow soon.

edit.. quite like the look of the g1 which includes an eye viewer but the local shop didnt have one to look at.

Thanks again

molgrips
    Free Member

Olympus. Smallest full SLRs around and very nice.

Oh, just read that you already bought one. Enjoy 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What Camera’ is closed to new replies.