Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What camelbak? (sorry)
  • retro83
    Free Member

Anybody recommend a camelbak/generic hydration rucksack?

~ £70 is a lot of dosh for a bag so owner recommendations welcomed!

The ones that seem to be looking best at the moment are the dakine drafter and the camelbak havoc.

The size of the havoc looks perfect, but how good are the zips and straps etc?

Cheers all!

aleigh
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new one too. The best place to start is Camelbaks website, make a note of the capacity for both hydration and cargo and then do lots more surfing to find a decent price!

caledonia
    Free Member

Save your money.

My mate spewed when he saw me with one of these :

http://tinyurl.com/dfg72s

WAY cheaper, bigger capacity (2L) and more storage.
    I carry tubes, multitool, food, and can even strap my pads on the back till I get to the top.

Plus, if your like me and land on it a couple of times, it’ hasn’t even touched the material, and is very comfy and secure when riding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    caledonia
    Free Member

Or if you want another colour or daypack options, just stick Gelert Hydration into e-bay’s search.

ajantom

Maybe a bit bigger than those two – but I use a Berghaus Freeflow 20 for day long rides. Has a special mesh back that keeps it off your back for less sweating. Incredibly comfy, lots of room, enough pockets, water reservoir pocket, raincover, the most comfortable straps on a small rucksack I’ve come across, and really hardwearing – I’ve
    had mine for 2 1/2 years now, it’s been toured, commuted, and fallen on plenty of times.

Here’s a link to one – About £36 I think (which is a bargain)
    http://www.allweathers.co.uk/berghaus-freeflow-iv-20-litre-daysack-982-p.asp

zaskar
    Free Member

That havoc looks funky and simliar size/straps to my old Hawg.

Just make sure it has that nice old back plate which is really comfy and vented.

retro83
    Free Member

Save your money.

My mate spewed when he saw me with one of these :

http://tinyurl.com/dfg72s

WAY cheaper, bigger capacity (2L) and more storage.
    I carry tubes, multitool, food, and can even strap my pads on the back till I get to the top.

Plus, if your like me and land on it a couple of times, it’ hasn’t even touched the material, and is very comfy and secure when riding.

Cheers Caledonia, but are they definitely as good as the name brands?
    I had an Aldi one (£20 I think) for about a year, which burst mid ride this weekend leaving me with a soaking wet back & really dehydrated!

caledonia
    Free Member

I can vouch for the Gelert one I posted.
    I’ve have a full over the bars at speed onto this rucksack on rocks, full 2L in the bladder at GT and it didn’t even flinch.

I’ve have at least 3 or 4 offs onto this and the material is still in great shape. I have the older version, and I have to say, I’m impressed.

“IF” the bladder should fail, then replacements are only 3 or 4 pound.

And for a compact rucksack I regularly carry other peoples stuff for them when they can’t squeeze it in their Camelback when it’s full.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I got one of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/HydraPak_Scramble_2_Litre_Hydration_System/5360035917/

A couple of months ago, its was £27 when I bought it though.

Seems good so far, straps are comfy and secure and the storage aint too bad either. It has one big pocket with a chord and flap (better than I zipped pocket I reckon) and theres enough space for a phone, wallet, tools, innertube, mini pump and more

Ewan
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the Gelert one; it’s only 2L – the camel back is 3L (plus 13L storage). Camelbaks are justifiably expensive in my opinion, mine have lasted years… where as my Dankine Nomad lasted about 6 months.

The Havoc is built like a brick outhouse, it uses the same weight nylon (1200 denier?) as they use on their military packs. I have a HWAG (amongst others) which is only 800 denier and is still going strong after 4 years of hard use. In fact I have a blowfish that is still working 6 years on… The zips on the havoc are also the big fat military ones (same as on my snowboarding camelbak). You won’t break them.

The camelbak bladder is also gurrented which is nice.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Im on a new Mule NV, cant beat it!
    Actually forgot it was there the other day.

Pauly

Camelbak Octane 8+

End of discussion.

aleigh
    Free Member

Actually forgot it was there the other day.

I agree, I forget I’m wearing mine most of the time.

Some of them have 20+ litres of cargo space in conjunction with 3 litres of fluid, you really can’t go wrong.

They’re well worth the money IMO.

soobalias
    Free Member

that gelert linked looks a great alternative to the mule – all depends how much stuff you want to carry.

i have a hawg for the mtb, cos it carries food/clothes/lights plus essentials and i use a high sierra gator on the road commute – its about the same size as a lobo, but much better and loads cheaper.

camelbak bladders are the best ive used though, cheaper ones tend to taste nasty and have spakky bite valves.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

It was a present so as far as cost goes I won’t comment but I love my Camelbak Chaos. Enough room for all my stuff for an all day ride, external pad straps and it doesn’t feel massively bulky on the normal sunday morning blast.

aP
    Free Member

Its a bag with room for a bladder.
    Which one do you like the colour of?
    Which one can you afford?
    Will you be asking how to go the toilet next?

Sandwich

Another vote for a havoc here. Lots of separate storage inside, great for long days out, overkill for trail centres though.
    Zip and strap life is all down to how you pack and how insensitive you are, but no problems here yet.

Northwind

Chaos if you want a 2l reservoir and smaller, less noticable back- still space for a proper man-size pump, toolkit, tubes, waterproof, fleece and some food. Or Mule or Havoc if you want a bigger one.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve had a mule for years and found it plenty for most rides. Have just got a havoc as i wanted something with a bit more carrying capacity for those longer rides.
    Wouldn’t be without one now.

sevenandnine

I just picked up a 1.5 liter Tesco own brand hydration pack for less than £10. From Tesco Home plus

JamesM
    Free Member

I’d like to mention that if you ever intend to carry an SLR in a chest pack like Chipps and SFB, some of the new Camelbaks don’t have D-rings on the straps any more.

retro83
    Free Member

Cheers all! Think I’m going for the Havoc.

Its a bag with room for a bladder.
    Which one do you like the colour of?
    Which one can you afford?
    Will you be asking how to go the toilet next?

That’s great, thanks! 🙄

RealMan
    Free Member

I just ordered the new Camelbak MULE NV 09 from merlincycles.co.uk for like £64. In the shop, its £85.

yoshimi

I found the Havoc a bit big and the mule a bit small – My Mayhem seems the perfect size, for me anyway, sort of a scaled down havoc and very tough – 3l bladder + plently of storage – £45 from Merlin, def recommend

hicksville
    Free Member

wingnut…………..if you can find one.

erny
    Free Member

The north face hammer head end of

redthunder
    Free Member

When are Lidl going to do that Camo (Northface Hammerhead) copy again.

Mines looking worse for wear now 🙁

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Another vote for the Havoc!
    Very spacious, carries everything easily. Nice smaller zip pockets inside, including fleece lined one for camera. Space for pads and full face helmet. Straps are good, adjustable and moveable, back pad comfortable. Hydration pack goes into seperate pocket which always makes a massive difference. Just sold my 2nd hand (as being a chick it was too big on my small frame) bloke I sold it to has also sent me loads of e-mails about how good it is!

Go get one now! And some good deals out there too!

ozzybmx
    Free Member

MULE !

Mines taken over a year of abuse and many spills on hard ground … no scuffs no nothing . Loads of room and 3L of water .

soobalias
    Free Member

just to drag this back up.

I bought two of the gelert packs for mates, very impressed, the only advantage the mule has is the camelbak bladder has a better bite valve. Nigh on identical storage, fabric and overall quality.
    I paid £16, now up to £20 but ive heard they are on sale in argos where you could take advantage of the money back guarantee if you dont like it.

I use a "High Sierra – Gator" for commuting, its more like the Camelbak Lobo, but with better, expandable storage and lots more features ie, foldaway waist strap, neoprene hose cover, helmet carrying mesh. This set me back £10 online, but ive heard that Costco do them cheaper.

Just arrived, one "Hydrapack – Big Sur" £20 – not used yet but first impressions are that its bigger than the Gelert, identical design/layout but with more storage space and generally well finished. Similar features to the High Sierra (in fact i was going to try the High Sierra – Drench, but it was a £5 more)

Given the prices charged by Camelbak, I will no longer be recommending them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What camelbak? (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.