Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What cable cutters?
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

What do i need for a nice clean cut on my new cables? Big beast cutters or small and sharp?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

On one. Or dremel

Northwind

Better than Park:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-EXPERT-190MM-WIRE-ROPE-OR-SPRING-WIRE-CUTTER-/271188273055?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f2414a79f

If you’re a bike-specific person, then Superstar sell a set that are pretty decent- they work well on day one but blunt a little too easily. Also better than Park though.

pembo6
    Free Member

Dremel or angle grinder with fine cutting disk.
    If u do use a dremel, make sure it is on full power. U want it to cut through fast for a perfect cut.
    And I find that if u place a block of soft wood behind the cable inner or outer it leaves a perfect finish on the cut.

zbonty

You can easily go big and blunt if you heat the cable with a lighter for a few seconds. Good clean cut ime. Crimp the cap on. Go ride!

No way would i be bother to get the dremel out and fit a little cutting wheel to do it.

jim25

my park cutters are awesome

shortcut

The right tool for the job is the tool designed for the job.

So some cable cutters would seem logical.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Knipex

freeagent
    Free Member

Knippex or Maun would be the choice of professionals in the real world. Park are overpriced and not as good.

AndyF1
    Free Member

Felco.

Kuco

Got park and shimano both do a decent job.

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

The Drapers are good. Best for the money. The Predro’s are great, but not really worth £30. The Parktool are hit and miss. We’ve had a load of them fail and had to be returned. They work ok when they work.

bowser538
    Free Member

Superstar components 13.99.
    never had a problem.

johnnystorm

Another happy superstar user here. 🙂

uwe-r
    Free Member

Thanks all, a real slow burner this tread. A lot of these look suspiciously similar. I think I know what I need now.

P.s. having gone for a ride this morning I did need to butcher the new cables with some rusty old pliers. It’s more of a recovery job now.

shadowrider
    Free Member

I use cable cutters at work everyday, I have found Lindstrom cutters to be the best I’ve owned, better than knipex. They were quite expensive tho, but my latest pair have lasted me about 5 years and they are still cutting as well as when I purchased them

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What cable cutters?’ is closed to new replies.