Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What budget wheels?
  • daleftw
    Free Member

After a new set of wheels for my couple of year old, not often used Cannondale hardtail. The ones it came with are beyond goosed.

If I was buying some road wheels, I’d buy those 105 hubs laced to 36 hole Open Pro rims from Rose and that’s the sort of wheel I’m after for this.

Current front runners are these, but not sure on the XM319 as a rim – http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/mtb-wheel-set-26-mavic-xm-319-disc–shimano-deore-xt-756/aid:640753

I want them to be as fit and forget as possible, are the 319s up to this? Having 756 hubs is ideal as 2 of my other bikes use them and I’m happy enough with them.

Anything else out there worth considering? Hope is not happening, I don’t have the budget nor inclination.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s not a bad deal at all, decent Shimano hubs and Mavic rims x 2 for under one hundred sniffs.

They won’t quite be fit and forget though, you’ll need to strip and regrease the bearings occasionally, but it’s not an arduous job. You’d need to factor in the cost of a couple of cone spanners and grease, but it’s still small change compared to a Hope wheelset.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Actually, Merlin Cycles might be able to get close…

Mach rims and Deore hubs

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    daleftw
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member
    That’s not a bad deal at all, decent Shimano hubs and Mavic rims x 2 for under one hundred sniffs.

They won’t quite be fit and forget though, you’ll need to strip and regrease the bearings occasionally, but it’s not an arduous job. You’d need to factor in the cost of a couple of cone spanners and grease, but it’s still small change compared to a Hope wheelset.

Yeah, I meant to say, hub maintenance wouldn’t be an issue. I like the 756 hub and having it across 3 bikes would make maintenance easier and more cost effective. I quite like servicing Shimano hubs…

daleftw
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member
    Actually, Merlin Cycles might be able to get close…

Mach rims and Deore hubs

Nah, works out at over £90 for front and back. Germany for the win.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What budget wheels?’ is closed to new replies.