• This topic has 31 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Gee76.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What 'budget' road wheels?
  • monkeyboyjc

Ok so I’ve just returned from a Paris – Geneva road trip. Unfortunately, after the chain came off between the cassette and spokes I ended up braking two spokes on my rear wheel during the 10k decent so I now need at least a new rear wheel if not a pair…. (nice big flat spot in the rear).
    Having always been a mountain biker rather than one of the shaved legs brigade I’ve no idea what to look for – is it a faux par to have mismatched wheels with the road lot?
    Budget is a max £230 (Inc postage)…
    So what should I look for?
    Thanks

jam-bo

aksiums are ~£130 and have been good for me.

monkeyboyjc

Mavic’s?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Ultegra 6800 wheelset is £235 on CRC, minus 10% with code SHIM at checkout.

They look really hard to beat.

wilburt
    Free Member

Aksiums or maybe Fulcrum 5’s which are £140 from wiggle at the mo, not much better to be had until you get to zondas @270ish.
    edi:egras above.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve got some askiums and they’ve been good for over a year.probably 2000 miles and alot of that last winter…tyres that come with them are ok but i found they puncture easily.

timb34
    Free Member

1680g for £100 ? That is if you don’t mind straight pull spokes, and buying from Superstar…

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/816-sp-wheelset-superstar-rsr490.htm

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve just bought the Ultegras from CRC. Great wheels for the price. Light and quiet.

Only thing to note, is that they’re tubeless wheels, which can make fitting of some clinchers a bit of a fight. My Michelin Pro4 Service Course were a nightmare to get on.

monkeyboyjc

I was thinking about the ultras… personally I don’t mind the additional maintenance of cup & cone bearings but a couple of the blokes I ride with can’t stand them.
    For some reason I’m put off by lower end mavic. Possibly due to the specific spare spokes?
    Super stars look good, just not on my bike at the red decals would clash with the blue on my frame (vanity kicking in).

I’ve also been looking at campagnolo’s which seem pretty good buy I’ve no experience with the brand.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I’ve been riding Campag Khamsins on my roadie for a few years. Not the lightest wheels but cheap and they’ve provided lots of trouble-free miles and still look like new, and haven’t needed any spokey action

nedrapier

I’ve just bought the Ultegras from CRC. Great wheels for the price. Light and quiet.

Bought the same from wiggle for wife’s bike a little while ago. I’d agree with that^ but didn’t have a problem fitting wire bead gatorskins.

chakaping
    Free Member

You should have mentioned that you were really fussy.

😉

LS
    Free Member

Fulcrum 5s every time. Light, strong, quality bearings, easy to look after. Put a pair on my winter bike and was so impressed also put a pair on my best DA-equipped summer bike for general use. They don’t drag the bike down in any way.

therevokid
    Free Member

+1 Fulcrums ….

mudshark
    Free Member

Only thing to note, is that they’re tubeless wheels, which can make fitting of some clinchers a bit of a fight. My Michelin Pro4 Service Course were a nightmare to get on.

Hmmm, not much fun if you have a puncture.

monkeyboyjc

Lol. Yep. I’m fussy – if it were mtb parts it wouldn’t be an issue as I’d know what I want.
    Road bikes = not a clue.
    Think I may just bite the bullet with the ultegra’s as they should last the lifetime of the bike. As for punctures – that’s what tubeless is for?

lunge

I’ve got some Fulcrum Quattro’s. They’re pretty strong (well, they cope with my 15st bulk) and look good. Bearings are lasting well and are also easy to adjust when they go. You can pick them up for £200 ish.

richardthird

If you can get em for sub £150 as mentioned above, Fulcrum racing 5s. Lighter than the quattros I think. Got mine in Jan Sales for similar dosh, a few thousand faultless miles inc plenty Alpine climbing.

ETA No rim-brake wheel will last a lifetime if you ride in the wet 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

As for punctures – that’s what tubeless is for?

Gonna try it? Experiences seem to be a bit mixed for road use but I want to try it sometime – tyres are a bit pricey though.

Yak

As for punctures – that’s what tubeless is for?

and lower pressures/ nicer smoother ride.

alibongo001

I got some Shimano rs21 at the beginning of the year

They seem pretty good so far but do have the straight pull type bladed spokes which not all will like

(I bought them on purpose as the previous rear wheel was losing spokes around the elbow bit frequently)

I think the were from Merlin in the sale, about £110?

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I had a set of shimano 105 hubs on mavic open pros, were £220 from merlin at the time, they took one hell of a beating and the bearings feel fine. Front wheel only gave up after I put my knee through it.

johni
    Free Member

+1 for Fulcrums

Gee76
    Free Member

Not one to miss an opportunity, I have a pair of Brand New Aksium S wheels for sale at £135 (or £155 with tyres) 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member
    stumpy01

I may be missing something, but why not get 2 new spokes for the back wheel and getting it trued up?
    Oh, and get the rear mech set up properly too while you’re at it?

Should be cheaper than a new set of wheels?!

monkeyboyjc

Sorted the rear mech when it happened. Dont know why it went out of alignment – may have stretched the cable when I took the bars off put the bike in the bike bag on the way to Paris. Or just that the 250 miles of riding over the two previous days had moved the stop screw – didn’t check the bike over each morning which I should have I suppose.
    As for why buy new. The wheels on the bike are cheap Omega rims on low end shimano hubs, so were always on the cards for ‘upgrade’ as the rest of the bike is a good mix of quality bits. The rear rim flat spotted slightly as I tightened all the spokes up getting it solid and true for the final 10 km decent into Geneva, so that needs replacing as well as the spokes.
    If I get the wheel rebuilt it’ll cost me a new rim and at least 14 spokes (All of the remaining drive side) + the build so potentially £100 ? In a shop. May as well spend twice that and get a better set of new wheels and sell the old front one.

monkeyboyjc

Bought the ultegra’s yesterday – quick question. Do they come with a spacer for 10 speed cassettes?

oldnpastit

Bought the ultegra’s yesterday – quick question. Do they come with a spacer for 10 speed cassettes?

Mine did.

Those Ultegras wheels are very good.

monkeyboyjc

Thanks

globalti
    Free Member

Have a gliff at Superstar Components’ Pavé 28 wheelset at £195.00. Testers thought it was a £500 wheelset and my cycling buddy and my son are both blown away by them, saying they have transformed their bikes beyond belief.

Gee76
    Free Member

Zondas are back on cheap at ribbles if you need for campag setup BTW 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What 'budget' road wheels?’ is closed to new replies.