• This topic has 18 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What budget flat pedals?
  • hopefiendboy

My lad needs some new flat pedals for his bike ,budget is not too much ,for general mtb use etc .What would you recommend as in a spd user and have no idea !!

binners

DMR V8 are usually the default for this. There are lots more blingy expensive ones out there, but these do the trick perfectly well, and DMR stuff is all bomb-proof

ahwiles
    Free Member

wellgo v8 copies.

these

£12, bombproof, bargain.

(much better sealed than dmr v8’s)

spawnofyorkshire

^ that or superstar el plastique

Bit more budget and you’re into Shimano Saint (i have), Wellgo MG1 (used to have) or Superstar Nano (ridden and liked)

garage-dweller

There is a dmr v6 now. Plastic body. I seem to recall they were pretty cheap in the lbs.

Not tried them but liked the v8 and v12 pedals I have had.

nedrapier

Or DMR V8 copies in plastic, the V6. £16/£17? Come in colours.

scandal42
    Free Member

El plastique have been a revelation after some horrific DMR shite with a grease port.

Poopscoop

Nukeproof Electrons, about £25 I think.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I’m another fan of the Superstar plastic ones. They have offers on them every now and again. I think I paid £14 – well worth that.

johnnystorm

I took my El plastiques apart yesterday as they felt a bit draggy. After 283 miles the RHS was full of black gunk. One tiny bearing and a bushing inside. LHS was better but not great. I think they are done up too tight from the factory. The centre rib around the axle protrudes higher than the pins it seems so some shoes feel ok, and others less so.

I was all set to get some Wellgo V8s but decided to splash the extra on a set of DMR V8s as they’ll be going on a Moonlander that’ll spend a lot of time on the beach so regular re-greasing will be a good idea.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Wellgo V8 copies 6 years old and going strong.

poey50
    Free Member

+1 Nukeproof electron

honourablegeorge

Decent alloy fFlats from Carbocycles.cc – same as the Superstar alloy ones.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

V8 are a bit small for the, eerm, wider rider.

grum
    Free Member

Much prefer the lower profile Superstar pedals to V8 type pedals. Grippier and less pedal strikes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have nukeproof electrons on both bikes, mine are odder so aluminium, I think they are nylon/plastic these days

zero-cool
    Free Member

Super Star Nano (X I think), they’re not very expensive and will last for years. They’re the second best set of pedals I’ve ever owned (after my Burgtec Penthouse Flats, but they cost shitloads). Maybe more expensive than some of the cheap options above, but for £30-45 quid they’ll be better VFM in the long run. Think mine are currently 5 years old and only just developing play (rebuild kit is dirt cheap as well) and only lost 1 pin.

Tom KP

lyntonsmith
    Free Member

Nukeproof Electron +2

P-Jay
    Free Member

Have to join the chorus for the Electrons – 2 and a half years of year round riding and they’re still like new. I won’t buy metal pedals again when these are lighter and cheaper.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What budget flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.