Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What brush and rods for my flue?
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

Now I have a lined (at great expense) flue my old brush and drain rods aren’t suitable. Anyone know where I can buy a suitable brush for my stainless flue and do I need some more flexible rods to go with it? I can’t find anything on screwfix so maybe I just don’t know what to search for.

Dobbo

Got mine on Ebay, about 15mm flexible white ones. PVC or nylon I think.

Stoner
    Free Member

got mine on eBay too with a nylon brush.

Will go look for linky

EDIT: earwiggo
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120737635256
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120523062249

check your brush diameter though

Dobbo

Like the white ones here

Cant remember the seller.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks both, will check my girth and length then get ordering.

Dobbo

will check my girth and length then get ordering.

Good god man, control yourself your only cleaning the chimney.

ourmaninthenorth

how much bend can these handle? I’ve got a 5m vertical rise of flue with a decent bend in it (making total length more than 5m). Bend is @ 45 deg, followed by c2m @ 45 deg before another 45 deg bend back to vertical.

Just planning ahead for next year….

Drac

Aren’t you supposed to sweep from the chimney down with Stoves?

I’ve been looking getting my own too so I can do it but I was under the impression you had to do it this way.

Stoner
    Free Member

Aren’t you supposed to sweep from the chimney down with Stoves?

Its a long way up on the roof!

I dont think that’s right.

I just detach the lowest section of flue I have and rod from the stove end, being careful not punch the storm cowl off.

kcal

Drac,
    when the sweep did ours, he did from the stoves upwards – remove baffle brick and that leaves flue / chimney accessible. From above is feasible, but requires access to the roof / pot, often with a bird protector over it, not so easy.

Now have flexi brushes and rods as per Stoner, that way can control how often flue is swept. And get to look like Dick van Dyke (ahem).

Dobbo

I can do one of ours from above with the ladder at full extension, I prefer it as there is a 45Deg bend at the stove and I don’t want to dismantle it. I think you can do a better job from above as you’re not worried about the dust and can give it a bit more welly. I cover the stove in old dust sheets as they’re not air tight (obviously!).

elzorillo
    Free Member

Just swept mine… Had to give it a hell of a push at times 🙁

Maybe I’ll just do it every other year as I only got less than a pint in volume of soot out of it and thats from using it all last winter.

On more thing.. I have a brush off ebay.. long thick plastic bristles that I worry could do damage to the lining.. Need to purchase a softer one.

Dobbo

Always turn the rods so it’s tightening the connector threads (anti clockwise) is the main thing to remember when sweeping.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im doing mine every other seasons too as I got very little out of mine after it’s first season. But the stove is a clean burn one, I burn well seasoned wood, that I run fairly hot and it’s not a particularly long flue – and is dead straight so there’s minimal risk of creosoting.

Drac

The last sweep we used did it from the stove up and only just managed to get the rods around the angle into the flu, he made a massively shite job of it and not used him since. Can’t remember where I read it but they it recommended for stoves that it be done from the roof because of the angles and it works better, plus yes you can keep the door shut.

Need to call a guy this time to do it as needs done soon and I don’t have time just now.

Drac

Always turn the rods so it’s tightening the connector threads (anti clockwise) is the main thing to remember when sweeping.

Ermmm! All the ones I’ve seen tighten clockwise.

Dobbo

Err yeah that’ll be it then, 😆 As you stick em together!

kcal

I think that’s right — IIRC 🙂

definitely fee better with the softer brush – takes a bit more sweeping, don’t have a flue liner to worry about here but the stiffer brush will scour – at soot, good, at flue liner, not so good!

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I am not one for paperwork and litigation but check your house insurance ours specifies that our chimney must be cleaned by a registered sweep at least every 12 months.

It only costs us £30 by the guy who installed the stove and I am happy for him to get messy when it would cost me 4 years cleaning just for the brushes and also its his problem if he damages the liner that cost approx £1000 fitted.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What brush and rods for my flue?’ is closed to new replies.