Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What Bristol evening stag venue ?
  • Mikeypies
    Free Member

Hi guys I need to scope out a venue in Bristol for a evening stag do , looking for somewhere where idealy we can eat and have a few beers and is lively.

Realy not that interested in going from bar to bar as it always ends in tears but a venue for food and one for beers could work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To be honest mate, you might struggle in town i.e. to tick all your boxes.

How many of you? Will it be “rowdy”?

backhander
    Free Member

Hi Mikey, most lively places do’nt do much in the way of food.
    For the stag do scran, maybe hooters? It’s by the Lloyds ampitheatre. Then up park st (stopping or not in the bristol ram and woods), then to po na na on the clifton triagle. There’s really a lot of lively places in bristol so it depends what you are looking for.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

As said above, not sure there’s anywhere that ticks all your boxes. You’re probably better off moving around. The harbourside / centre / Park St / Queens Rd area should have plenty to suit you, and it’s all close together, i.e. easily walkable.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The harbourside

I’d be heading in this direction myself – you’ll meet plenty of hen dos along the way too – and moving around from bar to bad won’t be too much of a problem 😀

Mikeypies
    Free Member

The numbers will be 20ish aged late 30s to early 50s so nightclubs arnt top priority. Chicargo Rock has been mentioned. I’ve been out in bigish groups before and it can be a right royal PITA trying to get into some bars. Oh and none of the guys are interested in boxing 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Chicargo Rock has been mentioned.

Shut down in Brizzle I’m afraid.

andygreener

What about the Queens Square/Welshback/The Grove area?

jj55

Is the Bier Keller still there??

andyl
    Free Member

there was the chinese place down by the old maginstrates court. Never been there though.

Po na na at the triangle and lots of bars and places to eat there so I would probably stay in that area. But then I don’t like town. You have the Lounge, Bunker, Po Na Na and lots of good eating places.

I guess you could stay around the @Bristol area as there is oceana etc.

ridingscared
    Free Member

The only reason to go to oceana is if you want a fight. The only reason to go to the bierkeller is if you like the smell of sick and warm beer served in plastic glasses.
    Suggest Zero Degrees for food and home brew, or
    Severnshed for food and a nice (but certainly not rowdy) drink afterwards- though may be a bit too quiet but Thekla is 500yds away.
    My current favourite is Canteen on Stokes Croft- food is cheap, beer is good and there is either a dj or band on later with free entry, plus you can walk to the Croft if you want a bit more ‘lively’ . Park street is fine but you’ll struggle for food.

backhander
    Free Member

I really like Canteen but I’m not sure stokes croft is the right place for a stag do……..

Mikeypies
    Free Member

cheers guys for the info so far will give me some places to check out

backhander
    Free Member

A quick run down (I’ve lived in bristol for 30+ years)
    Corn street; A cobbled street full of bars (walkabout, wetherspoons etc), most of which open late. Generally quite young and very lively. Also has 2 lap dancing clubs very near by. Can be a bit punchy. No eating here.
    Harbouside/waterfront; As above, but with a lloyds, and a terrible nightclub (Oceana). Apart from oceana maybe a bit less punchy. Not really the place to sit down and eat.
    Centre; Not as many establishments as it used to have so maybe slim pickings. It features the taxi rank which at the end of the night can get rowdy. Some chain type restaurants.
    Lloyds ampitheatre; Less rowdy and a slightly higher class of hooligan but it doesn’t had loads of places. Has a Hooters and some other eating places I think?
    Park street/park row Pretty nice, places to eat but won’t be cheap. Mixed ages and some chilled places to drink.
    Old market Gay quarter (if you’re into that)
    Clifton triangleA higher general class of hooligan again. Late bars and a few places to eat (tapas, eastern). Po na na and the lizard lounge are popular.
    Clifton Has some great pubs, restaurants but none/very few open late. Very little chance of trouble but you will have to endure some vert pretentious, snobby ****s.
    Stokes croft; Very cool, multicultural and chilled but you do not want to be annoying people around this area (St Pauls frontline close by).

ridingscared
    Free Member

Backhander neatly sums up Bristol- and agree Canteen maybe not the place for a stag party of the traditional sort.

petefromearth

Zero Degrees is a good shout. good pizza and beer. i had a birthday meal in there with a big group and the service was good. plus you can gaze in the window of Bristol Bike Workshop over the road.

clubs – Luna is quite cool, maybe a bit small for you lot, otherwise Thekla is a winner

the chinese restaurant mentioned above is The Mayflower. best in bristol, and open til 3am, although its in a bit of a shady area. there is no dumbed down menu either – fried cow organs anyone?!

Philby

A couple more suggestions to throw in:
    Mud Dock – large restaurant above a bike shop and a bar area.
    Grain Barge – a boat with reasonable food, great beer and sometimes a band on the lower level. If in summer you can sit on the deck
    Picture House / Picture House East – Whiteladies Road – good food and might be able to get a section to yourself, and also close to loads of theme bars, and a few opportunities for late beers if you know where to go.

ridingscared
    Free Member

The service in Mud dock used to be laughably bad- is it still that way? and Mardykes opposite the Grain is the cheapest boozer on the city.

petefromearth

ooh ooh, cow shed, next to the picture house. superb steak

andyl
    Free Member

Zero degrees is good, we go there a lot after Uni.

Cowshed is very good but probably not what you are after.

Disagree about no food on Corn Street though – San Carlos is a very good Italian restaurant and there is a few other places. Nice cheap wetherspoons in an old bank is a cheap way to start the evening.

backhander
    Free Member

Sorry, forgot about san carlos. Not sure how they’d feel about having a stag party in there though! Don’t know what the other places are though.

andyl
    Free Member

there is a couple but I wouldnt bother with them, mainly lunch time food and stuff (and not good at that IMO as they are chains or not bothered).

I’d probably stick with eating at the triangle or park street and then go to a club up on the triangle.

Oh and go to the Cedars Express oposite the white harte pub afterwards for tasty kebab/pita/flatbread thingy etc – best place in Bristol! 😀

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=merchant+venturers,+bristol&aq=&sll=51.489935,-2.632599&sspn=0.113512,0.220757&ie=UTF8&hq=merchant+venturers,&hnear=Bristol,+City+of+Bristol,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.455585,-2.603159&spn=0,0.013797&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.455545,-2.603045&panoid=Shv7b8dqvltHfUW_o_E1tA&cbp=12,229.07,,1,7.13

Very good curry place just off the triangle on Queens road but probably not best for a stag do. My favourite 3 curry places are Brunel Raj in Clifton, that place and Jubo Raj. Got a few others to try.

Talk of the cowshed is making my mouth water now. It’s only a short walk down to the triangle from there and a couple of pubs around there.

Oh, just remembered – the Masa Japanese place on Baldwin street is VERY good. And you can get a room to yourself with your own chef and hot plate. Also a good smaller japanese opposite and round the corner you have glass boat but I would probably suggest the boat next to glass boat for a stag. Got the Old Duke opposite too which is good for live music.

andyl
    Free Member

and another great place – Sands just off the triangle, again on Queens road. Great food and you can have a Shisha:

Homepage

Masa: http://www.masajapaneserestaurant.com/

For afterwards, I only know of the triangle really (as I never really went down town after my younger days of going to the Wedge at Evolution!)

http://www.bristolponana.com/
    http://www.thebunkerbristol.com/
    http://www.lizardloungebristol.co.uk/

Not sure if the fez club is still going down town, but it is just off Corn Street and there is a Revolution (vodka) place opposite and the Japanese is just over the road.

ridingscared
    Free Member

Cedars express is top notch. Manos bar on the triangle is a good choice as is the Park and you could always book upstairs in the Park for a more private drinking session. Square is awesome bit pricey , though if you eat then you can drink in the members only bar later.

andyl
    Free Member

what is that place round the corner opposite Bike?

ridingscared
    Free Member

Joe Pub(l)ics

backhander
    Free Member

Manos is tiny. Nice but really gets on my nerves after a while. Joe Pubics is a good shout though.

ridingscared
    Free Member

….and another option. chow down at Teohs on north Street, then drink in the Tobacco Factory, over to the Lounge, working up to the Hen and chicken for whatever comedy act they may have on that night?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What Bristol evening stag venue ?’ is closed to new replies.