Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What brakes SLX, Elixir R or Stroker
  • norcbot
    Free Member

Now i need a new set of stoppers for my AM bike. I was set on getting the new SLX’s but the Avid Elixir R and the Hayes strocker trails all seem to be gettin good reviews. Anybody used one or more of these. Any reccomendations would be super.

zaskar
    Free Member

SLX for their levers alone are excellent.

Had a test ride-basically LX with better lever control and power than std lever.

Could go cheap and buy LX calipers from Onone and source some SLX levers?

Or just go XT.

sssimon
    Free Member

have strokers on two bikes and love them

only other choice at the time was xt, just prefered the stroker lever shape

seen a few broken elixir levers already (out of 4 or 5 sets I’ve seen through the shop)

mboy
    Free Member

Hayes Strokers have the familiar “stick in the spokes” Hayes stopping power. But though they’re better than Hayes of old, modulation is still lacking compared to other rivals. The Elixir R’s look amazing, highly tempted myself it has to be said. Though Shimano just work, and keep on working, and have amazing feeling levers, and superb modulation.

If it were my money, looking at the prices on the internet, seems you can get a pair of XT’s for only about £30 more than a pair of SLX, so bearing in mind the one piece caliper construction and lighter weight compared to SLX, that’s where my money would be going!

r6ymy
    Free Member

Have you seen the deal on Elixir R at Merlin? They’re doing a 180/160 rotor pair for £160.

RicB

I had this discussion with a lbs mechanic recently. Went something like:

Shimano – good but no spares, once the seals have gone that’s it
    Strokers – flimsy and wobbly levers, no reach adjust, wooden feel but good reliability
    Elixir – far less of a pain than Juicys, much easier to set up and more power but still unproven.

Obviously having never used any of these brakes myself, I’m perfectly qualified to give you advice 😉

norcbot
    Free Member

Cheers for info guys looks like the deal on elixir r on merlin is looking pritty good to me now. found slx for £140 elixir r for £160 and XT for £185.

tops5
    Free Member

Just got some Strokers and love them – miles better than my Hope Enduro 4’s (to be fair they were ancient!)

They have reach adjust, no dragging/shimming and they are white 😆

ransos
    Free Member

I have had stroker carbons for 3 months and they’re already at the LBS for repair. Not a good start.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What brakes SLX, Elixir R or Stroker’ is closed to new replies.