Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What brakes should I get?
  • woodster

I’m building up a hardtail project and rather than try and buy something cheap for that, I’m just thinking I’ll transfer my trusty Formula RXs from the big bike and buy a decent set.

I’ve liked the Formulas, they have great modulation, have been very reliable and easy to bleed and offer decent stopping power, but from reports it seems I’ve perhaps been lucky. I’d like a bit more power since the Codeine with it’s big wheels and weight needs all the help it can get, but I don’t like the Shimano 2 pots for their binary feel.

So Zees are perhaps a little over what I wanted ti spend, but seem like the best option at about £130, but what else should I consider? Magura MT5s look interesting at about the same money and I always liked m HS33s and Julies, but I don’t hear much about them these days? Guides seem to be a lot less fuss than the old Avid/Sram stuff, not sure whether the basic R model is worth having?

Cheers.

legend
    Free Member

Guides seem to be a lot less fuss than the old Avid/Sram stuff, not sure whether the basic R model is worth having?

Not from what I’ve seen this year. New model, same Avid hassles.

Zee’s are definitely a safe bet

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Using Zee’s currently, excellent brake for the money.

have V2’s as well on another bike but prefer the Zee’s just more cost effective and good stopping power.

andylc
    Free Member

My Guides are fantastic brakes. I have heard nothing bad about them from anyone. Not sure where your information is coming from legend.

legend
    Free Member

Well now you have. Info is from various people I was on holiday (including folk I ride with here) with all having a mare of a time with them. Even when 1 guy ended up using a mechanic to sort them they still couldn’t get them back they way they should’ve been. Everyone involved is very experienced with sorting out brakes. Just seemed to be Avid by numbers; didn’t want to bleed properly and very inconsistent bite point

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

XT (previously a HOPE-lover) but wouldn’t bother now, even on a money-no-object dream bike. Saint if you’re feeling flush. Zee if you’re fat but on a budget 🙂

Having said that though, I have never had a problem with XT and 203mm rotors even on the longest of descents.

rhayter

XT. That is all.

andylc
    Free Member

I have replaced a hose on my Guides after one got damaged. Very easy to do and to bleed afterwards, brake worked exactly as it did before. You must have cack handed friends.

julzm
    Free Member

Guide RSCs are actually pretty decent despite my extreme reservations about SRAM and anything dot fluid filled.

XTR M9020s are truly excellent in every way. Easy to bleed and maintain. Only small negative would be the carbon levers can break with the wrong hit but that’s a risk with every bike. Much much better than last years XTR (the ones with the orange gold end cap) which a re pretty inconsistent and constantly needing bleeding.

daver27
    Free Member

unless you are going down an Alp, Zees are overkill. get XT’s with big rotors.

superfli
    Free Member

I love the Formula The Ones. Got them on both my bikes, both 2nd or more hand, and not had to touch either set.
    I prefer the older style. Although they look a little clunky, they have a better feel than the newer style IMO. Like these:

Should be able to pick em up very cheap in classifieds.

legend
    Free Member

andylc – Member

I have replaced a hose on my Guides after one got damaged. Very easy to do and to bleed afterwards, brake worked exactly as it did before. You must have cack handed friends.

Yes, obviously they plus the chalet mechanics don’t know what they’re doing 🙄

daver27
    Free Member

Don’t worry Legend, i’ve heard the rumours as well, better than before, but still most definitely Avids…

andylc
    Free Member

Well put legend. I totally agree.

woodster

Thanks. Sounds like the usual Sram style of choosing to warranty over decent quality control.

Sounds like Zee is the way to go since they’re cheaper than the new XTs and the weight won’t notice.

No -one got any Magura experiences?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

No -one got any Magura experiences?

Yeah Magura are good. Lever is quite a different shape than the short Shimano hobbies though if that’s what you like. Power is good and they seem typically German/well thought out. I’ve got a ‘spare’ set of MT6 that I’m looking rid of if you fancy giving them a go.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What brakes should I get?’ is closed to new replies.