Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • What brakes?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

I am trying to decide what brakes to put on my 29er.

The dilema is I like loads of brakes, I'm used to M/bike big 6 piston brakes after all so I like to use 1 finger.

BUT I don't like too much weight. Last time I went with new x2 Pro's but on 203/180 rotors, before that M4's on 203/180.

I am sort of tempted by Saint's for the extra 100g a wheel?

I like the Hopes because I haven't had any real problems other than the odd leak from a loose hose, and they are very simple to service/maintain/bleed with cheap and available parts like pads/seals etc. Plus they have great lever feel.

I only have poor experiences of Avid's and Magura's in terms of bleeding and lever feel (Juicy 5 and Marta SL's)

Any recommendations or experiences welcome, other than the usual topic of Hope reliability as I am comfortable with their reliability already.
    ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You might find other brakes have a different lever feel – more like "pinching a brick" – some folk like this as you get more initial bite – I prefer the softer lever feel of hopes for the greater modulation this gives.

I have just removed a pair of (cheapo) shimanos from a brand new bike to replace with secondhand hopes for this reason

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘What brakes?’ is closed to new replies.