• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What brake pads in the Alps?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Magura Louise FR brakes going to Les Arcs and around that bit for a week. "Normal" or sintered, Fibrax branded pads. Callipers currently have an A2Z blue in one and A2Z black in t'other.

Been to the Alps twice before with XT brakes and sintered pads. Haven't yet gone through a set while there despite being told you can munch through a set a day??

Now I'm told Sintered will cook my brakes and make me die a horrible full speed collision type of death.

any pad opinions?

doug_basqueMTB.com

I use sintered here. Not the Alps but similar long technical descents. If you´re worried about it then make sure your brakes are properly serviced with fresh brake fluid in them. I´m sure it´s possible to go through a set in a day, especially if you´re tense, but I get a few weeks out of a set out here.

Drac

Sinintered is all I've used when I've been. Hardly worn the pads and no cooking incidents althugh they've got very hot. That was hopes and avids. Brake sensibily and you'll be fine drag them consistantly and they wear out and over heat.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

when I was looking into it the consensus was that sintered = more heat and thus organic/ceramic were the better option.

But as said, dragging is the main culprit. Try to brake properly and maybe even take breaks every now and again and admire the views.

DrP

You'll get tot a point when your arms ache too much, the brakes don't work properly, and you can't see straight – use that opportunity to lay off the brakes for a bit 😉

DrP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What brake pads in the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.