Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • What brake for most even pad wear / non-sticky pistons?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

And also low maintenance? I just need some brakes where I’m not spending a small fortune on pads because I’m chucking one decent one away from a pair all the time. Currently running 08 XTs. Stopping power – not too fussed. They all stop a mountain bike well IMO.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

old skool Hope M4s. can’t beat them for consistency

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Ha! Just the same thing was going through my head and I was about to have a rant about my LX. BTW I wouldn’t recommend LX if you intend to ride in UK winter. Stopping power is always good, and they never seem to hang up or stick during dry weather. Give them some sloshing gritty puddles, and it’s scrape scrape almost instantly. I normally have to strip out the pads and clean the calipers about three times per set of pads, and typically once a week during wet winter.

Tonight riding home from work was just the most awful screeching possible from the front, forty minutes of agony and I didn’t want to fix it on the trail in the dark. It made my ears hurt, really. At least no dogs would have gone near me (had there been any daft enough to be out tonight).

I’ve just this moment fixed it. (Yes, it’s an easy 5 minute job, and the LX do have a nice easy system with the split pin which works very well, but still not my fave occupation on a wet muddy bike in a freezing garage).

And pads do cost a lot! 9 pairs a year for me on XC 3500 miles.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘What brake for most even pad wear / non-sticky pistons?’ is closed to new replies.