Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What BMX
  • Gotama
    Free Member

I have about a mile of commute either side of work and always do it in ‘normal’ clothes for a variety of reasons. Its pretty boring walking this and takes more time than I’d like so mulling a bmx. The roads I go down are pretty quiet so in my head I’m thinking it would be good to practice manuals and such like.

The other is that I am 37, haven’t ridden a bmx since I was about 9 and I’m 6ft 4 so not exactly ideal size for a teeny bike.

BMX over jump style bike for cheapness and ease of putting in the back of the car.

Any suggestions and am I mad?!

goby

I started by getting a BMX and riding it at lunch times etc, now ride and visit skate parks more than i ride mtb! ITs a great learning curve! Ouch! 😉

goby

Oh 41 and 6ft 2..should know better eh!

Gotama
    Free Member

riding it at lunch times

That also crossed my mind since we have a shower at work and plenty of areas to faff around.

caspian
    Free Member
    pickle
    Free Member

If you do want to go with the BMX idea though (lets face it they’re still great fun and I’m nearly 50) You’ll need something with a top tube length of at least 21″ if you can find something 21.5″ but they tend to stop at 21″

I’m 6′ 2″ and mine are 21″ top tubes

Gotama
    Free Member

I’m open to those 24 inch options, sure I spotted a GT one last night that was heavily reduced. Given I know nothing about bmx I assume the frame on the 24 inch style is longer to accommodate the larger wheels?

Caspian that looks great but is a bit spendy for something that could turn into a short lived fad!

What is the difference between a 200 quid bike and a 500 quid bike in the bmx world? All I want to do is practice manuals, hop up kerbs etc.

This for example

https://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/81190/Haro_Annex_Pro_XL_Race_2017_BMX_Bike

or this albeit the tyres would need changing!

https://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/81184/Haro_Downtown_24inch_2017_BMX_Bike

Stevet1
    Free Member

I assume the frame on the 24 inch style is longer to accommodate the larger wheels?

Not necessarily. Also beware some 24″ bikes are pretty terrible for messing about on. The Sunday Model C being one of the exceptions to this.
    Also, as you’re coming off an XL Nicolai G13 I can’t begin to imagine how small a BMX is going to feel 😯

What is the difference between a 200 quid bike and a 500 quid bike in the bmx world? All I want to do is practice manuals, hop up kerbs etc.

Quality of materials generally in the frame, forks, bars, cranks, hubs etc. more expensive = stronger and lighter.

This for example

https://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/81190/Haro_Annex_Pro_XL_Race_2017_BMX_Bike

or this albeit the tyres would need changing!

https://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/81184/Haro_Downtown_24inch_2017_BMX_Bike

Well you’ve picked picked 2 pretty different bikes there. One is an aluminium race BMX with 20″ wheels, the other is a steel (cheap hi-ten steel at that) freestyle BMX with 24″ wheels. The race BMX will be quicker to accelerate but probably less easy to manual as race BMX’s generally are setup to be stable with low BB’s and long chainstays. The steel one looks okay for messing about but it’s going to weigh a ton being made of hi-ten everywhere.
    I’d avoid both of them TBH.

goby

Will agree with lighter!, i started out on a cheapy mongoose, was great to see if the idea would work, now got a nice united su2.
    I have chnaged a few bits changed over time, bars, brake lever next is rear wheel as its rather sad now.
    Go for it its great fun! 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

Is weight really that much of an issue with a BMX? Given their size surely they can’t weigh that much.

A 24 inch looks like a recipe for getting something that doesn’t really fit what I’m after given I have no idea what I’m buying. Back to 20 inch with a 21 inch top tube and avoiding race bikes.

Also, as you’re coming off an XL Nicolai G13 I can’t begin to imagine how small a BMX is going to feel

And yes, I dread to think of the difference in reach 😀

ads678

I know it’s not the same as a BMX but have you thought about knocking up a single speed 26er for cruising about on.
    I’ve just built up this beast with bits from the garage and it’s cost me about £50. I appreciate that some people don’t have frames just laying around but I happened to have a Ragley blue pig that i wasn’t using and a load of other bits. All i needed was a pair of forks and a couple of brake calipers.
    It’s great for nipping down the shops or mucking about in the street with my son.
    Haven’t taken it to a BMX track yet but i will be doing.

Oh and it does actually have brakes now…

[/url][/img]

Gotama
    Free Member

ads678 – just been browsing the classifieds as it happens on the off chance. Size in the back of the car is a small negative and would need frame, forks and wheels but should be reasonably available. Something like my old Dialled Alpine would be perfect.

As you say though I suspect its not as ‘fun’ as a bmx.

ade9933
    Free Member

I persuaded the kids to buy some BMX’s so they had a bike they could take to the park…. of course now they actually want to use them so I had to get one for myself so I can play too and I think it will be good for thinking about bike movement for all of us.

I just picked up a Haro Boulevard for <£100 on ebay, pretty new, this years model and boxed (so hopefully legit).

It’s not going to excite people who know what they are doing but for an old numpty like me it’s fine and a good laugh (and painful when you fall on concrete too).

Good luck.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Given their size surely they can’t weigh that much.

Ahahahah.
    I remember when I asked my LBS to import a standard STA frame for me and when it arrived they asked if BMX’ers had heard of the concept of using tubing rather than solid bars. Weighed North of 9lbs iirc. Things have moved on now, but a hi-ten BMX is still going to be weighing 30lbs + I reckon which is a fair bit considering it’s concentrated in a small package.

Gotama
    Free Member

weighing 30lbs + I reckon

😯 😯 😯

Stevet1
    Free Member

Put it this way, my pimped out Standard trailboss BMX with CK hubs and Ti axles weighs 22lb.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What BMX’ is closed to new replies.