Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What BMX?
  • bikerdan
    Free Member

I have been watching too much Scotty Cranmer on YouTube and taken my 3 year old to the local skate park a few times. I now want need a BMX but have no idea what or how much I need to spend. Anyone got any pointers to what I should be looking at?

stu170
    Free Member

We the people in the classifieds

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Second for We The People! My son has a crisis and a justice and loves them

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

United, WTP, Fit… a lot of the real BMX brands do good complete bikes these days. BMXs are amazing value for money compared to MTB. £400 will get you something new that is more than good enough for a beginner. If you haven’t ridden BMX before you will find it unbelievably unstable to ride at first. Good luck.

monkeychild
    Free Member

You can’t go wrong with wethepeople (I ride a Volta) their completes are spot on. I would make sure you get a Cro-mo frame though, I don’t know what the frame is in the classifieds is made of.

BMX is ace, I scared myself on a half pipe today 😆 Proper got teh fear. The kids at the pump tracks round here are pretty cool.#

markcurtains
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Sheffield BikerDan, check out Waller BMX. They sell WTP and other complete bikes or will build from scratch and are very competitive. I *think* they do price matching. Shop is in an indoor skatepark too.

website

mlbaker
    Free Member

I’ll second what markcurtains is saying, Waller is a good little shop. If you’re tall I recommend a Sunday Model C which is a cruiser with 24″ wheels. I bought this from Waller after riding a 20″ (Fly Proton) for about a year. 20″ was too twitchy for me

rob2
    Free Member

I’m 43 and bought a we the people off here for £100. Bought my 6 yr old son a jet yoof. Best few weeks of my life recently. We go everywhere on them.

I can’t do tricks for love nor money though :-/

So in summary, we the people 🙂

andysredmini
    Free Member

The Wethepeople in the classifieds is my wife’s that I’m selling. Regardless if you are interested in mine or not they are fantastic bmx’s and even the lower priced models are very good. Whatever you do don’t buy a 24″ cruiser. They are a cop out and not a proper bmx. You may as well just stick with a MTB. The good thing about BMX is that it’s so much different to MTB but the skills you learn doing BMX definitely translate well to MTB. It’s hard work, it hurts but it’s so much fun
    The best part about BMX though is the fat that a good bike won’t really do anything a rubbish one won’t. My Wethepeople cost around £800 and is running perfectly but there are kids at the skatepark on absolutely battered £100 halfords specials doing bigger tricks than I ever will.

thomthumb
    Free Member

one that fits. difference for me (at 180 cm) between 20.5 and 21″ TT is huge.

monkeychild
    Free Member

don’t buy a 24″ cruiser.

This! Good for cruising, but not as much fun as 20″ wheels.

bikerdan
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, I will get searching. Expect many more questions including how to bunny hop, how to manual and how to ride a quarter pipe in the future.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

All I’d say is there’s more brands making decent completes other than WTP. 😉

And an old-skooler Haro and Hoffman are two I’d be looking at. If you’re riding ramps definitely go 20″ too.

markcurtains
    Free Member

My mate mentioned his 5 year old son is getting into the bikes and they have a local BMX track so I went along to meet them there. His son adn slightly older daughter absolutely p*ssed themselves when they saw me step onto my 20 inch BMX (also a We The People btW). As did one of my neighbours when he saw me on it. I’m 41, 6’2 and 17.5 stone but I don’t care all that much. Probably the worst part of being old ime is turning up at a track and all the kids thinking you’re a OG bad boy BMXer from the 80s and you’ll be showing them how it’s done. Then you can’t 🙁

monkeychild
    Free Member

My BMX is going in for powder coating on Thursday. I can’t wait 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What BMX?’ is closed to new replies.