Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What bit is missing from here and can I get one?
  • v9gss

The wife’s crank fell off while riding. Apparently.

She put it back on but is missing a bit what’s the bit called that’s missing and can I get one without buying a whole new bottom bracket.

https://goo.gl/photos/dmuzH3hkzJFMji6B6

bikeneil
    Free Member

There doesn’t look to be anything missing to me.

nickjb
    Free Member

Nope. Looks complete.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    razorrazoo

Unless the crank bolt is missing, which we cannot see in this photo, but are easy to come by if a new one is needed.

Speshpaul

I’m guessing you are missing the crank bolt. that screws through the end of the crank in to the BB axle. Any bike shop should have them.

However, (bad news time)the crank position doesn’t look right. if the cranks have been run with out the bolt the alloy cranks might have turned on the steel axle knackering the cranks:-(

v9gss

All screws together fine. I’ve never really looked that closely. I assumed there should be a cover over the bearing?

v9gss

That’s as far in as it goes.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Speshpaul- it could well be a diamond fit square taper, rather than a square fit, in which case it looks fine. Generally though once the cranks has started falling off it’s much more likely to happen again. Left hand square taper cranks are cheap from dealers – if it falls off again take the old one in and they’ll be able to replace it.

As for the missing bit if the crank bolt is not missing then I’d suspect it’s the black plastic cover the goes around or over the crank bolt which is purely superficial.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Nothing missing between the arm and the frame , square taper ones always look like that.
    As above there is a good chance the arm is dead if it fell off

v9gss

Thanks gents.

She rarely rides it so I’ll thread lock the bolt in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What bit is missing from here and can I get one?’ is closed to new replies.