• This topic has 51 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • What bike would you like to see built?
  • kayla1
    Free Member

From another thread, I’d love to see a short, short travel FS BFe with a pivot about the BB shell like the old Commie Absolut SX so you could run it SS easily if you wanted. Basically an older shape BFe275 with a smidge of rear bounce like a 4X or slopestyle bike. And a bottle cage mount in the front triangle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

once I’ve got through enough of the ones they do I’ll let you know

sofaking
    Free Member

short travel geometron for 27.5+

Rorschach
    Free Member

You want a heavy, short travel FS that pedals really badly?Okey dokey.

RustySpanner

Quick release, non-boost, lightish 26 or 29 hardtail with modern geo.
    Basically, a slightly slacker Mk1 Soul would be perfect.

A lighter tubed version of the Specialized AWOL in nicer colours.
    No other changes.
    What the Sequoia should have been.

A disc specific versions of the Spa Tourer/Audax with room for bigger tyres.
    And again, different colours.
    🙂

AlexSimon

Do-it-all Adventure bike on the racey feel side
    Plain nice colour (orange please)
    Roundish tubes
    Dropper-capable
    Hydro cross-tops
    700x40c clearance
    1x
    £1600

thepodge
    Free Member

Rorschach – You want a heavy, short travel FS that pedals really badly?Okey dokey

Oval ring and better pedal technique will fix a lot of that. BB pivot bikes were all the rage when shock technology was a bit rubbish, its all moved on since then.

Starling Cycles do a BB pivot short travel ripper.
    http://www.starlingcycles.com/beady-little-eye-proto/

lawman91

Carbon Short travel, DW-link 29er with slackish HA, short chainstays, 460-470mm reach, threaded BB and properly sorted details, I.E cable routing, lifetime warranty on bearings, boost axles etc. Ibis ripley is close but just sooooo short, which is a crying shame as I loved my Mojo HD.

Rorschach
    Free Member

BB pivot bikes were all the rage

And they were pish then.Throwing a load of LS damping at it does’nt alter the lack of anti squat or absence of any chain growth (both quite handy for pedaling efficiency)

kayla1
    Free Member

Starling Cycles do a BB pivot short travel ripper.
    http://www.starlingcycles.com/beady-little-eye-proto/

Ooooh… I need to sell some stuff.

sofaking
    Free Member

have you ridden a geometron Rorschach ?

amedias
    Free Member

A disc specific versions of the Spa Tourer/Audax with room for bigger tyres.
    And again, different colours.

They make that, in Ti, and the Steel version is on the way…knowing Spa though it’ll still be black 🙂

OP – was going to point you at Starling but thepodge beat me to it

Have you looked at the DMR Bolt? might suit you as it sounds like exactly what you want but with a bit too much travel, so with a shorter or travel limited shock it could be everything you’re after… 😉

I had a couple of Kona A’s over the years (one stolen, one snapped), and I absolutely loved them, with only 75/80mm of travel and a decent amount of LSC it was ace, All the joy of a single speed, but with the added bonus of being able to carry more momentum than normal and climb some stuff that would have a HT losing traction.

They weren’t perfect for sure but I really really miss the Kona A 🙁

The last time I started down this path I ended up having something unique built by BTR, it was (still is) ace but if I were to do it again I’d make some small changes…argh! Don’t make me start thinking again, my bank balance won’t like it!

kayla1
    Free Member

I think matey-boy was posting at me, sofaking.

sofaking
    Free Member

ah ok kayla1, two of the three points he raised can be said about the mojos

ajantom

From another thread, I’d love to see a short, short travel FS BFe with a pivot about the BB shell like the old Commie Absolut SX so you could run it SS easily if you wanted. Basically an older shape BFe275 with a smidge of rear bounce like a 4X or slopestyle bike. And a bottle cage mount in the front triangle

So basically a DMR Bolt? No bottle cage mounts though.

fathomer

sofaking – Member
    short travel geometron for 27.5+

This, without the plus (and price tag :D).

thepodge
    Free Member

fathomer – This, without the plus (and price tag :D).

MDE Damper with their custom option?

http://www.mdebikes.com/damper-650b-2018/

http://www.mdebikes.com/rider-tuned-geometry/

cookeaa

What do I want?

An affordable (say frame for ~£400) Long/low/slack 29er HT in Carbon with two sets of bottle cage bosses and swap-outs so I can run QR/142/148 hubs as I see fit, oooh and externally routed gear/brake lines…

zippykona

Orange 4 with a usable bottle mount.

northernmatt

I just want an Airdrop Edit Coil. That’ll do nicely thanks.

honourablegeorge

sofaking – Member
    have you ridden a geometron Rorschach ?

Pretty sure he meant the BB pivot BFe suggested in the OP’s post

Rorschach
    Free Member

have you ridden a geometron Rorschach

Yup (Geometron has AS around 120% and quite high pedal kickback and does’nt use a concentric BB pivot….so I’m not sure what your point is).
    And I’ve ridden a Kona A and Bass.And a Cove G-spot.And a Commencal Absolute Sx.I always liked the idea of BB pivots.

kayla1
    Free Member

So basically a DMR Bolt? No bottle cage mounts though.

Sort of, still a smidge too much travel though, #moononastick…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Easy – a light carbon XC race bike with clearance for 2.6″ tyres and a 66-67°HA, as to me, this is what a ‘trail’ bike should be, fast and efficient going up, and a little bit more confidence inspiring going down.
    I’m pretty sure we will see one of these made over the next couple of years.
    Scott have come very close already with the new Spark (not RC).

amedias
    Free Member

Sort of, still a smidge too much travel though, #moononastick…

Easy fix with shock mods though.

flange
    Free Member

Spearfish with a slacker head angle and boost ready. And not priced at mental money.

One thing this thread shows is that we all want different things – can’t please all of the people all of the time!

tomhoward

Carbon Short travel, DW-link 29er with slackish HA, short chainstays, 460-470mm reach, threaded BB and properly sorted details, I.E cable routing, lifetime warranty on bearings, boost axles etc. Ibis ripley is close but just sooooo short, which is a crying shame as I loved my Mojo HD.

That’s awfully like a Pivot Mach 429 trail (116mm) or SL (100mm) if you can stomach a press fit BB (mines been fine)

All y’all who want steel hardtails that don’t exist, give a frame builder a ring, make it happen.

lawman91

The reach on the Pivot is super, super short though, a good 40-50mm shorter than I’d like in a Size large and there is no way I’m having a PF BB again. There are a few that get close, the new Evil Following is one, but I’m still wary of their frames holding up and the other is Transition Smuggler but they haven’t done that in carbon yet. Was really hoping Whyte would do a T129 carbon this year but now it’s gone altogether!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

More singlespeed bikes. Tensioners on normal bikes suck. Couldn’t give a rats ass about bolt through dropouts I’d rather have track ends!

I’d really like an SS fat bike designed around 4″ tyres, slammed chainstays and bent seatube, 450 reach, 67 head angle.

Basically my current Fatty with slightly better cornering.

All y’all who want steel hardtails that don’t exist, give a frame builder a ring, make it happen.

At On-one prices.

y’all

And I don’t like Country or Western.

gwurk
    Free Member

@kayla1

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/mtb/dirt/the-jester/

Why would you want steel? it’s always heavier. No stronger really. but repairable I suppose. do you break a lot of frames?
    And why would you need waterbottle mounts on a bike you won’t climb (much) or do long rides on?
    Just drink a pint of water before you ride. and have another at the end.

amedias
    Free Member

Why would you want steel? it’s always heavier.

Don;t know about the OP, but I feel the difference in weight of steel on the frame much less than I feel the difference in weight of my wallet with carbon.

Bottle cages are handy things, whether you use the regularly or not it’s an option that’s nice to have.

gwurk
    Free Member

er..
    The bike I linked to has an Aluminium frame and as a complete bike is a similar price to a steel Cotic full sus frame.

😕

thepodge
    Free Member

26″ though init?

spawnofyorkshire

Nice classic STW thread, people say what their bike desire is and other people patronise them and tell them they’re wrong!

Transition Smuggler or Robot Bike Co R130?

gwurk
    Free Member

Stronger, cheaper, lighterer init?

😉

Stevet1
    Free Member

And why would you need waterbottle mounts on a bike you won’t climb (much) or do long rides on?

Can’t speak for the OP but for me I take a camelbak on longer rides but for short blasts on a fun bike a water bottle cage is great for carrying a small amount of water, and leaving it by the side of the trail when sessioning something fun.

amedias
    Free Member

The bike I linked to has an Aluminium frame and as a complete bike is a similar price to a steel Cotic full sus frame.

You asked a question, I gave an answer.

If you were asking specifically about that bike that’s different, I’m not the OP…hence my answer being about carbon, not Alu, and not mentioning anything about specific bikes/prices.

gwurk
    Free Member

I asked Kayla the question. Hence the “@Kayla1” before said question.

I think I see now why you’re so attached to sookin’ a bottle. Amedias. I’m not in the slightest interested in what bike you’d like or why.

kayla1
    Free Member

I like only having one bike so it’d have to do everything from popping to the shops, to XC mincey rides out for Sunday dinner, to local DH races and a bottle cage is handy- I don’t like carrying a backpack if I don’t have to. It’s a ‘what if’ thread, why do I need to explain myself? 😆

CraigW
    Free Member

I’d like a fixed wheel bike with disc brakes. With space for reasonable road/touring tyres, and mudguard and rack mount. Preferably aluminium frame, carbon forks.

Basically an improved version of my Pompino. Something like a fixed version of the Planet X London Road or Sonder Camino.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘What bike would you like to see built?’ is closed to new replies.