Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What bike – weekend of riding at Hebden Bridge?
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

If you were going away for a weekend of riding in the Hebden Bridge area what bike would you take with you? I’ve never been there before.

-90mm travel xc race hardtail
    -120mm / 100mm carbon full suspension
    -160mm / 140mm carbon full suspension?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Transition Covert… naturally.

binners

Orange 5. If you ride anything else, the locals will burn you at the stake for heresy. Don’t say you weren’t warned

woody2000

If you’re going this weekend, take something that floats 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d say theres more ups than downs

…and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of mud and water.

I’d go for 1 or 2, certainly not 3. Be prepared to get through a whole drive train in the the nice gritty/sandy mud we have on’t Pennines.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A kayak.

uwe-r
    Free Member

The Peaks generally feature lots of uppy downy on very exposed and eroded trails. Rocks and mud will feature prominently.

People ride all sorts, you wont be overbiked on a massive rig but you will get tired, same as the nimble hardtail will be efficient but you will have a hard time on the rocky stuff.

Take whatever bike you want and lots of goretex.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

He’s not going to The Peaks !

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Binners-I did happen to see that it would be possible to blend in with the locals & hire a 5 from Blazing Saddles on Sunday! 😉

RustySpanner

Yep, one with a snorkel.

I’m supposed to be leading a group of climbers on a ride from Heptonstall on Sunday morning.
    Climbers DO NOT like the wet.

I’m expecting a no show or a mutiny, tbh. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

I’d go for 3 because that’s the most similar to the only mountain bike I have which I ride everywhere 🙂

Clover

I’m local but I mainly ride a CX bike…. mainly for the sharp intakes of breath whenever I skitter past a group of mountain bikers 😀
    Will be at Blazings on Sunday – Might be busy, I think you can book a bike in advance if you give them a ring.

Dave
    Free Member

2 or 3 and stick to rocky stuff.

simondbarnes

I’d take a road bike

alex222
    Free Member

a ti 650b fatbike unicycle?

grum
    Free Member

I’m in Hebden Bridge now, it’s pretty damn wet.

Mugboo

If its as wet over the hill as it is in Bingley then I wouldn’t even bother!

tk46hal
    Free Member

I went over the tops back to Queensbury from Hebden Bridge and I’ve got to say, Wet, Wet, Wet.I was on my Shire horse of a bike, a full susser 29er which was great, but my mates on the lower stuff were finding it tough going as alot of the tracks are more like streams. Good fun though if you can keep warm and dry! 😕

Answer to the question,

a 29er, hardtail or f/s.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

speedboat bike, it’s the future.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Hmm,I’m a southern softie so when I read tough northeners complaining about the wet I certainly sit up & listen! 🙂 I’m currently strongly considering keeping things simple & just taking my hardtail,its not nearly as much fun going down as the other 2 but its going to have to grind away in the mud & I’ve got a new drivetrain to fit to it after the weekend anyway so I may aswell get the most from it for now. Next on my checklist, what inflatable dinghy for Yorkshire…!

grum
    Free Member

Hmm,I’m a southern softie so when I read tough northeners complaining about the wet I certainly sit up & listen!

I like this kind of talk, we need more of it on the forum.

oxnop
    Free Member
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

the forecast is acceptable for the next two days, but it lashed it down persistently since wednesday and it’s been grim for a week or more. It’s really very wet on the trails we’ve considered ok all winter.

mapu
    Free Member

Bennyboy, southern softies didn’t get invited to this weekend so you’re gonna have to take the kayak somewhere else.

It’s no longer raining now although it will be again soon, until next month.

Clover

Yes it’s ‘quite nice’ today. I didn’t even notice that I was wiping rain drops off my glasses until I’d done a couple of miles. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What bike – weekend of riding at Hebden Bridge?’ is closed to new replies.