• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What bike wash?
  • ratherbeintobago

Just coming to gather end of a bottle of Pedro’s, and about to start on the last bottle of Muc Off from the enormous stockpile I had.

What’s the current forum favourite?

yipee-ki-yay
    Free Member

This stuff works a treat and it’s cheaper than Muc-off http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300951048994

allfankledup

Pro clean if you can find it
    Used it on my mx bike anyway – worked fine and was decent price

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jedimaster
    Free Member

A bucket of warm soapy water

willstaffs
    Free Member

Muc off 1ltr spray bottles are £5 in Halfords at the minute, 10% off if your a British Cycling member also!

gonzy
    Free Member

i usually use Hope Sh#t Shifter when i can be bothered to clean the bike…

munkster
    Free Member

Fenwicks FS-1 concentrate (makes 11 litres for about a tenner) for me.

joolsburger
    Free Member

andybloomer
    Free Member

^^^ this

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’ve had the last half of my Fuch off tub sat there doing nothing since using Rhino Goo.

Never had a better finish for mtb or motorbike. Over time I found Muc Off did cause slight staining. Wouldn’t touch that nasty pink shit ever again!!!!

Northwind

Water when it’s really claggy, otherwise dry and brush.

andybloomer
    Free Member

I’ve used any old cheap washing up liquid and hot water for over 30 years, I wash my bikes regularly and have NEVER seen any hint of corrosion on bikes that I’ve done it to for years despite the horror stories you hear

Marketing BS sells bike wash

I’ve recently simply put it quite strong in a squirty bottle and that works well too with a paint brush on the nooks and crannies followed by a hose off

A kettle full of boiling water cleans contamination of brake discs and pads just as well as a tin of expensive disc brake cleaner

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve used any old cheap washing up liquid and hot water for over 30 years, I wash my bikes regularly and have NEVER seen any hint of corrosion on bikes that I’ve done it to for years despite the horror stories you hear

Yup. I also put some concentrated washing up liquid on the drivetrain and leave it to work while I’m cleaning the rest of the bike. Seems to come up pretty well

barffy
    Free Member

I use tesco’s second cheapest APC diluted in a trigger spray. I worked it out once at something daft like 90p per 20 litres. Spray on, leave to dwell, agitate, rinse.

andybloomer
    Free Member

4.5p a litre sounds more impressive 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

is fairy safe to use on disc brakes etc? theres no beating a warm bucket of soapy water water to clean the bike

hoses/bike sprayers etc are good but warm water gets rid of the muc/dried on muc much quicker

shame when i use a sponge it just falls apart after one use on a bike 🙁

anyone recommend a decent longer lasting sponge? 😆

rhino goo is the best cleaner, leaves a lovely shine too, but i get through it far too quick to keep using it, dunno if its completely safe but it gets rid of brake dust/black in seconds so its got to be pretty powerful!

andybloomer
    Free Member

Soft paint brush rather than sponge?

IHN

If we’re talking mountain bikes, which typically just get covered in mud, just use hot/warm water and a sponge/brush, what with mud being water soluble. For the drivetrain you might need a bit of detergent (although if it’s really grimy you’re probably using too much lube). Personally, I take the chain off and stick it in a jar of boiling water, works a treat.

For road bikes tha get covered in road film, washing up liquid and hot/warm water, with a good rinse after.

Marketing BS sells most bike stuff wash

This

benp1

I bought a cheap chain cleaner, like a Park Tools copy, from Deal Extreme. Use it with paraffin, its amazing how well it works. Do both my bikes when I can be bothered to use it

I’ve been using normal cheap car shampoo recently, need to get myself a trigger spray bottle (or recycle one of the ones that are coming to an end)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What bike wash?’ is closed to new replies.